What's your best price for cash?

What's Hot

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12522
    edited March 9
    I wouldn't accept cash, period.  I haven't used cash for anything in this country for many years unless through absolute (and extremely rare) neccessity - it's a pain in the arse.  I'm semi-geri too :-)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7360
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I could imagine that asking for a cash payment rather than electronic payment would be beneficial to a seller that's claiming government benefits or similar and doesn't want extra income to show up in a bank account, but I don't really see the benefit of a buyer asking the seller to accept cash except if the buyer was claiming benefits and didn't want a record of outgoings on non-essential purchases showing up in a bank statement.  Similarly some guy that's accrued some cash and wants to hide purchases from a spouse would obviously prefer to buy using cash.

The last time I went to the bank to deposit more than £2,500 in cash was after my elderly mother had been in hospital and housebound and she insisted on me taking money from the ATM with her card to reimburse me for all the shopping I had been doing for her.  I wasn't familair with the machine inside where you shove your money and card into and it counts the notes, so I went to the counter to deposit it.  I was really annoyed when the cashier asked about the source of the cash with some excuse about having to be vigilant about money laundering or some nonsense, but obviously my explanation was acceptable and I told her that I strongly objected to being asked about my financial affairs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8871
    BillDL said:

The last time I went to the bank to deposit more than £2,500 in cash was after my elderly mother had been in hospital and housebound and she insisted on me taking money from the ATM with her card to reimburse me for all the shopping I had been doing for her.  I wasn't familair with the machine inside where you shove your money and card into and it counts the notes, so I went to the counter to deposit it.  I was really annoyed when the cashier asked about the source of the cash with some excuse about having to be vigilant about money laundering or some nonsense, but obviously my explanation was acceptable and I told her that I strongly objected to being asked about my financial affairs.
    Last time I had to deposit a sizeable chunk of cash and the impertinent teller asked me where I’d got it, I told her I was laundering it for the Medellin Cartel.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 825
    nero1701 said:

Well, cash is an inconvenience these days, firstly I've got to count it, I've got to trust that it's real cash, I've then got to deposit the cash into the bank 

This. So very, very this.

I have a mate who’s doggedly cash-only, which is his prerogative, but would still ask me if I could order something on my Amazon account and then he’d give the cash, until I explained that I wasn’t his credit card provider. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24891
    Cash is often preferable if you’re self employed. 
    If you trying to evade tax, yes.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24891
    10% more for cash because it's a pain in the arse.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14835
    tFB Trader
    JerkMoans said:
    BillDL said:

Last time I had to deposit a sizeable chunk of cash and the impertinent teller asked me where I’d got it, I told her I was laundering it for the Medellin Cartel.
    I did similar - They asked 'have you sold a car' I said 'no mainly drugs and a bit of pimping' 

But seriously as a business, paying cash into a business account costs me money - More than a debit card transaction would cost for the same sale
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 853
    Is that not the whole point? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9831
    If you’re driving halfway to Dagenham then you’ve effectively already given him a discount.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 755
    HAL9000 said:
    If you’re driving halfway to Dagenham then you’ve effectively already given him a discount.
    Plus you've got to go towards Dagenham,  such should attract its own premium payment anyway...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10591
    I don't give a discount for cash but I am happy to take it. There's just been so many times I've needed it. 

Local music shop, Barbers, Chippy, Chinese and Indian are all cash only where I live. I don't blame them, why lose 2.5% of every transaction when they don't need to. That's just throwing 2K away every year for 80K of turnover. (can be lower I know but can be higher). 

Cash is great for gifts to family and friends, giving to homeless people, Charity boxes, buying food and drink at Victorious festival when the 4G goes down and all the card machines won't work. (every flipping year!) 

It requires no internet connection, there's no surcharge for the vendor to pay, it's great for tipping. 

As my business is all online market places my actual earnings are reported to the tax man automatically so it's no good for avoiding tax personally but I still like to have £500 or so around in cash for the reasons above. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1333
    edited March 9
    I don't mind cash. But I can't stand 'what's your lowest' question. 

Because straight away it's followed with a counter offer that's lower than my lowest. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13052
    Can anyone spot the VAT threshold?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10591

@UnclePsychosis ;

I was VAT registered for 12 years and it was a right pain. Dealing company to company was fine as the VAT became irrelevant  because we could all claim it back,  but it meant we were (at the time) 17.5% more expensive than the non VAT registered companies as far as the end user was concerned. 
    I'm close to the threshold now but just deliberately limit sales to keep under and there's no law against that. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14794
    nero1701 said:
    I've a couple of guitars on ebay and had a guy firstly ask …where are you? … "You'll have to meet me halfway" … "What's the best price for cash"
    This looks like a fairly blatant attempt to circumvent eBay fees. 

The prospective buyer's train of thought will be, "I'm saving you the hit of fee deductions. You can return the favour by passing on some of that saving to me."

Under eBay rules, the seller is not supposed to proffer collection address or meeting place details until after payment has been received through the official channels. 

Even though the prospective buyer suggested it, the seller could be the one who gets a bollocking.

My reply to your prospective buyer's suggestion would be SEX AND TRAVEL.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1544
    To provide conclusion.

He made a best offer on ebay, inclusive of the delivery price I'd set. Because I had immediate payment set for BIN, It whipped the money straight from buyers account.

I drove 40 minutes, met, handed over..nice enough guy, just trying to save a few ££ on a off the ebay books purchase.

Maybe I judged too harshly based on the coms, but best to be safe.
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3390
    Cash is awful stuff. I’d be fuming if someone gave me a huge stack of the stuff to nervously count whilst making small talk 
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2585
    It’s about a 90 minute round trip to my nearest branch now all the local ones have been closed down
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2250
    Last time I took cash for a guitar I didn't get round to counting it until after the buyer had left and it was £80 short.  I'd favour electronic payment methods every time. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom