Your absolute favourite ONE ballad ever, and I mean EVER!.... what is it?

What's Hot

Comments

• NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 790
    I'd Rather Go Blind….Chicken Shack version with Christine Perfect (McVie was her married surname) on vocals.

Loved it ever since it was released in 1969.

Beth Hart does a spine tingling cover which is great. I think Joe Bo is on guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 644
    Kid Charlemagne.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1305
    Glory of Love
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11824
    I Want To Know What Love Is is a very guilty pleasure of mine.
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    Now I’m incessantly going through my Apple Music library asking my self “is this a ballad? is that a ballad?”

How ‘bout “Robots” by Flight of the Conchords?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 784
    Couldn't Love You More by John Martyn. It's been 'our song' since I introduced my wife to the genius of JM many years ago.
    Baby please come home from G & Danger i think ?

You'll all no doubt be surprised that I've chosen a Zappa track! A rare heartfelt story of heartbreak from Frank, and featuring a stunning guitar solo from the 13 year old Dweezil

Ladies and Gentlemen, Sharleena...

That's some outrageously good guitar for a 13 yr old, wow. Lucille though for the win (J's Garage) :)

I'll take 'Hole in the head'  Kossoff / Blondel

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5861
    edited March 16
    Dionne Warwick - Alfie

Cilla Black - Anyone Who Had a Heart

Shirley Bassey - Theme from Love Story (Where Do I begin)

Duran Duran - Ordinary World

Sorry, I've had more than 1 
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6140
    So here’s mine.
    I heard it first in 1976 and nearly 50 years later it still is my absolute favourite ballad of all time.
    It's so beautifully written, arranged and performed and the guitar solo is perfect for the song.

One Of Them Is Me.  By Andrew Gold.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    So many good choices so far, I’m finding it hard to limit it to one. I’ll have to go with Al Green, Let’s Stay Together. Beautiful song, perfectly performed. 
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 671
    Cranky said:
    Kurtis said:
    Cranky said:
    Stavros said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    I will always love you - Dolly's original - NOT the belter-fest that Whitney Houston did.
    That is a great shout.
    But is that really a ballad?  “Coat of Many Colors” (my grandma’s favorite song) is a proper ballad — it tells a story.

Also a proper ballad: “Country Death Song” by Violent Femmes.  Far from my favorite, but I’m just proud of myself for having just learned what “ballad” actually means thanks to this thread.
    Is Bob Dylans hurricane a balled then? 
    Appears to be a protest ballad, yeah.  Just going by Wikipedia and the Poetry Foundation.  But being so far removed from folk times, our pop ballads aren’t really passed down orally.

I don’t really know what I’m talking about.  I just always assumed that “ballad” basically meant “love song” because of the so-called “monster ballads” that 80s hair bands were said to sing.
    Yeah I would have said the slow song on a lot of classic rock type stuff. Then you have "Anthem" like God gave rocknroll or every rose? Sweet child?

What about born in the USA? 
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 671
    Black is the colour. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72442
    Kurtis said:

It's an incredible song, and I think it is a ballad at least in the original Nebraska out-take version.

But my favourite Springsteen ballad is probably one of The River, Atlantic City, Racing In The Streets or Thunder Road... too hard to pick just one, even just of Springsteen songs.

I've been thinking about this question since I saw the thread title, and I still haven't come up with a definitive answer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HaychHaych Frets: 5654
    Romeo and Juliet

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    Kurtis said:
    Cranky said:
    Kurtis said:
    Cranky said:
    Stavros said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    I will always love you - Dolly's original - NOT the belter-fest that Whitney Houston did.
    That is a great shout.
    But is that really a ballad?  “Coat of Many Colors” (my grandma’s favorite song) is a proper ballad — it tells a story.

Also a proper ballad: “Country Death Song” by Violent Femmes.  Far from my favorite, but I’m just proud of myself for having just learned what “ballad” actually means thanks to this thread.
    Is Bob Dylans hurricane a balled then? 
    Appears to be a protest ballad, yeah.  Just going by Wikipedia and the Poetry Foundation.  But being so far removed from folk times, our pop ballads aren’t really passed down orally.

I don’t really know what I’m talking about.  I just always assumed that “ballad” basically meant “love song” because of the so-called “monster ballads” that 80s hair bands were said to sing.
    Yeah I would have said the slow song on a lot of classic rock type stuff. Then you have "Anthem" like God gave rocknroll or every rose? Sweet child?

Ooooh, an anthemic ballad!?!?  You’re blowing my mind, man!

• koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4151
    Brokedown Palace - Grateful Dead
    There is a fantastic version of this by Shinyribs. 
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4151
    In no particular order. 
    It Hurts Me, by Elvis, written by Charlie Daniels. 
    If we were Vampires by Jason Isbell
     It makes no difference The Band
  • RickydRickyd Frets: 149
    Devil#20 said:
    I think this classes as a ballad and was banned by General Franco from being played in Spain for a long time. This song is absolutely brilliant and is typical of the brilliance and the connection that Neil has with music, life and history. Very much the thinking man's musician. Southern man might not have needed him around but everybody else did. 

"Cortez the Killer"

The Grace Potter/Joe Satriani cover is superb too.
  • I'd Rather Go Blind….Chicken Shack version with Christine Perfect (McVie was her married surname) on vocals.

Loved it ever since it was released in 1969.

Beth Hart does a spine tingling cover which is great. I think Joe Bo is on guitar. 
    I was just about to say that I'd just listened to that Chicken Shack version for the first time, and it's a damn sight better than the absolute butchering of the song done by Beth Hart and Bonamassa! Hey ho, each to their own!  :)

Some really good suggestions in this thread. However, the correct answer is LaVern Baker singing Soul On Fire. 

The pop ballad attained perfection in 1953. And coincidentally also subsequently butchered by Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8538
    Meatloaf’s I Would Do Anything For Love is unbeatable imo  
    But still not as good as 2 out of 3 ain’t bad for a meatloaf ballad.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72442
    dindude said:

But still not as good as 2 out of 3 ain’t bad for a meatloaf ballad.
    Not actually as good as any song on the original Bat Out Of Hell, even though it is a great song. The whole album is a work of pure genius.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein