Jacob Collier approach to guitar

What's Hot
SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
I just watched this, and can't decide whether Jacob is a genius, a sauvant or just insane.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 253
    This is really interesting. I'd vote for genius.

Let me be the first to ask if he's related to Norman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17630
    tFB Trader
    He is probably the most all around musically able person in the world.

He is really quite astonishing. 

He could be considered world class in singing, multiple different instruments as well as composition and production.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5156
    I vote for "too clever by half". 

I get that he knows everything there is to know about music, but I've yet to hear anything of his that actually did something for me. All his covers seem to be exercises in demonstrating how thankful you should be that your musical heroes know less than he does about music theory.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

I get that he knows everything there is to know about music, but I've yet to hear anything of his that actually did something for me. All his covers seem to be exercises in demonstrating how thankful you should be that your musical heroes know less than he does about music theory.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    A very special person and musical mind.

Very few of us hear it so specifically in our head first and can then just go find it and make it on any instrument.  But to specifically redesign an instrument to meet that mental design is more special still.

But still I’m mostly envious of how long, dexterous and relaxed his fingers are.  All my tendons are super tight.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27078
    He reminds me a lot of my old uni housemate. Chris was also a multi-instrumentalist genius. But Chris isn't world famous now. 

I'm glad that both of them exist :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2498
    I always think of 90s kids show Mike & Angelo whenever I see him

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    This is really interesting. I'd vote for genius.

Let me be the first to ask if he's related to Norman.
    Well I didn't ..otice ...anyth.. wrong with his ..icrophone.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    His music is boring, I'll rather take Sting, that is all. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    That 5 string guitar sounds sooooooo obvious 

I might have a play on one of mine tonight 
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1347
    No denying the talent or ability.
    Now he just needs to figure out what to do with it.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    edited March 13
    I love his microtonal harmonies

https://youtu.be/pvKUttYs5ow?si=jbPDWdCHY4UCwhke
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1463
    No one else find him insufferably smug? 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1094

+1.  Can't doubt his talent, skill and knowledge but his songs don't stick in my memory and stir any emotions.  
    In the context of this thread I'll call him a genius like Kasparov is at chess....and to me listening to Jacob's music is like watching Kasparov play chess.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22929
    I'd never heard of this bloke until last week, he was on Nihal Arthanayake's show on 5 Live.

Nihal was being all arse-licky - as he is with most of his arts/music guests - so I had to turn it off.  Jacob seemed jolly nice but kind of boring, in the couple of minutes I heard.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7343
    No one else find him insufferably smug? 
    I’m confused with him, because it should be something I’m really in to and I don’t think he’s smug, but I just find something about him absolutely unbearable.
    Which is my loss, because if someone else provided the exact same information he does I’d be watching their videos every day. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9722
    SimonC said:
    I just watched this, and can't decide whether Jacob is a genius, a sauvant or just insane.

I'd say he's all of them to be fair. Astonishing musician, for those who say theyve not heard anything that moves them I find it hard to believe that over 5 massive ranging albums you've found nothing? The guy is a genius, his work has some spectacular moments. He's not anti establishment nor trying for chart success he just makes wildly varied music with incredible harmony and chord progressions and so much detail and layers.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    SimonC said:

I'd say he's all of them to be fair. Astonishing musician, for those who say theyve not heard anything that moves them I find it hard to believe that over 5 massive ranging albums you've found nothing? The guy is a genius, his work has some spectacular moments. He's not anti establishment nor trying for chart success he just makes wildly varied music with incredible harmony and chord progressions and so much detail and layers.

I think it's because his guitar doesn't use an authentic formulation of hide glue or have vintage spec capacitors. That ruins it for me.
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22929
    I haven't heard any of his music at all, but unless he's dipped his toes in some of the many sub-genres of Heavy Metal or dopey old Dad Rock, then I'm pretty confident there is nothing on his five albums that would move me.  His incredible harmony and chord progressions will be entirely lost on me.  I am not musically sophisticated.  I am not sophisticated, full stop.
  • RoundwoundRoundwound Frets: 272
    Very talented. Hasn’t produced a thing that I have any interest in and I’m more likely to run in the other direction clutching my ears.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom