Jacob Collier approach to guitar

What's Hot
14567810»

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4225
    Lewy said:
    This is really lovely and also showcases his 5 string acoustic.

Well, if someone thinks he's a bit up himself they're surely in for an aneurism when you throw Thile into the mix.

On a different note, anyone know how the hell these Mahogany sessions are recorded? The clarity is insane.
    On the Little Blue one they had to clarify that Jacob had a hidden lavalier mic (it's in his woolly hat if you look at the shape) as people were assuming he wasn't really singing as there was no mic on him. You probably won't see it on Summer Rain video beacuse of the way he's standing but he also has a cable coming out of the strap pin on his guitar with the cable running up his jumper - I guess that and the Lav mic are being sent wirelessly from some kind of pack on his back. You can see it a few times on Little Blue. Another good reason for the massive hippy jumpers. Chris Thile's mandolin is cabled by the looks of it and they've not tried to hide that.

I think they must use a lot of subtly placed ambient room mics in that space - churches generally do create a lovely acoustic space so it's possible things are just carrying really well as well to be picked up by those.
    Super interesting. Thanks
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9722
    They must have better quality street performers in Exeter than literally every other city I've ever been to! The ones in Brum just play Wonderwall and other such simplistic chord sequences which they strum at the loudest volume they can in a percussive rhythm. Not seen any anywhere with the harmony progressions and key changes of that recording. That said if I were you I'd just go and enjoy them instead if they're that good, or whatever else you fancy
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1347
    They must have better quality street performers in Exeter than literally every other city I've ever been to! The ones in Brum just play Wonderwall and other such simplistic chord sequences which they strum at the loudest volume they can in a percussive rhythm. Not seen any anywhere with the harmony progressions and key changes of that recording. That said if I were you I'd just go and enjoy them instead if they're that good, or whatever else you fancy
    ... and when did Wonderwall become the bete noire on here? Does a song have to have a dozen chords in 7/4 time to be deemed acceptable around these parts?
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9722
    edited March 22
    CaseOfAce said:
    ... and when did Wonderwall become the bete noire on here? Does a song have to have a dozen chords in 7/4 time to be deemed acceptable around these parts?
    Not at all, it's a great song, both approaches can exist and be enjoyed though, and conversely you don't have to like everything in order to appreciate it existing  

Most of the (non-classical) music I like is 2 or 3 chords, electric guitar driven, percussive and repetitive vocals, angry and or miserable. But people get very weird and very closed very quickly in their own echo chambers in more ways than just musically
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17630
    tFB Trader
    CaseOfAce said:
    sev112 said:
    This is really lovely and also showcases his 5 string acoustic.

Fabulous song, great team/ group approach 
    I just don't get it.

On any given day you can walk down Exeter high street and see someone like this singing a heartfelt lament over a delicate finger-picked guitar part whilst dressed as a minstrel - usually with a dog on a string lying on a mattress...?!

Don't be silly.

You might not like it and that's fine, but these are world class musicians. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 22 tFB Trader
    CaseOfAce said:

I think maybe it has to be some unobtainable goldilocks for some people given the Taylor Swift thread where people are complaining the songs are too simple and this one where they are too complex. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22930
    This thread's like a brush fire that seemed to have gone out, but it's been smouldering away all along and now it's burst into flame again.  Albeit in a fairly mild sort of way.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28358
    Wonderwall is a boring dirge. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    edited March 22
    Sporky said:
    Wonderwall is a boring dirge. 
    It’s got nothing on Talk Tonight. 

EDIT: As in, as far as Oasis acoustic ballads go, it’s nowhere near as good as Talk Tonight. Not that Talk Tonight is more of a boring dirge. 

EDIT EDIT: I also think Wonderwall is a great song to be fair. 
    tFB Trader
    A great cover of a great Bjork song.

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11791
    p90fool said:
    Definitely a genius.
    He's always doing that Cleo Laine/Frankie Howerd thing with his face though, so it's a no from me. 
    Don't forget Shirley Bassey.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom