Jacob Collier approach to guitar

What's Hot

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9737
    Litterick said:

Litterick said:
    We are told he has reinvented guitar tuning, yet he plays with a capo.
    What's wrong with a capo? 
    Nothing. I use one, to make intervals that are beyond my reach. But I do not see why he would need one, since his intervals are not unusual and he does not strum like a singer-songwriter. Maybe he just lacks confidence.
    He uses a lot of open strings whilst playing so makes sense to use capo so your open tuning is in whatever your home key is for the song? Same way many of us use our capos I would think? Play in the shapes you like and to be able to use open strings to make your voicings more interesting
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2585
    goldtop said:
    Bowks said:
    sev112 said:
    While I was restringing yesterday I made my Taylor a 5 string, that was quite fun
    I messed around with the tuning last night. I liked how easy it is to ues the 3rd string for the 3rd in a barre chord. Didn't get into anything much fancier, as it was late and wine.
    I love having 5ths on the low end. I've been using what I pretentiously referred to as my "cello-hybrid tuning" (C G D G B E) in some settings and I love the voicings Root - Fifth - Third, kinda more pianistic in a way. Lovely stuff.
    I'll bet there are all sorts of interesting chord voicings waiting to be discovered from these weird tunings. And unlike the piano, the guitar is perfect for getting off the beaten track.

Alas I'm a bear of little brain, and what little there is packed only with EADGBE shapes and can't let go. Good that there are people like you and Collier going off piste.
    It's nothing compared to what the likes of Sonic Youth etc have got up to over the years :-) Need a new song? Get a new tuning!
    Also a good excuse for getting another guitar! Trying out different tunings is the main thing that's helped me find my own style - took me about 20 years to realise and accept that I didn't need to go back to standard tuning.

Don't have a clue what chords I'm playing though, which is both a good and a bad thing.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 640
    Litterick said:

Litterick said:
    We are told he has reinvented guitar tuning, yet he plays with a capo.
    What's wrong with a capo? 
    Nothing. I use one, to make intervals that are beyond my reach. But I do not see why he would need one, since his intervals are not unusual and he does not strum like a singer-songwriter. Maybe he just lacks confidence.
    He uses a lot of open strings whilst playing so makes sense to use capo so your open tuning is in whatever your home key is for the song? Same way many of us use our capos I would think? Play in the shapes you like and to be able to use open strings to make your voicings more interesting
    Yes. He is not that innovative. It is all hyperbole.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 789
    He's even blowing guitar teachers minds 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22931
    Neilybob said:
    He's even blowing guitar teachers minds 

It's only Michael Palmisano.  Everything blows his mind.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    I think he is a genius, except I haven't clicked with anything he has made....where as Taylor Swift writes really simple, basic songs...many of which I can't get out of my head.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17632
    tFB Trader
    This is really lovely and also showcases his 5 string acoustic.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    And no capo which will make some people happier :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    When I first heard that song on the album though, I must admit I did wonder how he hadn't been challenged by Gary Barlow for the chorus sounding very reminiscent of Patience?
    Do you think he searches junkshops and market stalls all over the country to buy his wacky clothes, or does he have them bespoke tailored?
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2769

Fabulous song, great team/ group approach 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    Turns out the fabulous Madison Cunningham in that video above is American so hardly around :(  although she is supporting John Meyer in Glasgow or Dublin next week 
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2498
    Philly_Q said:
    Do you think he searches junkshops and market stalls all over the country to buy his wacky clothes, or does he have them bespoke tailored?
    Timmy Mallett’s yard sale
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2498
    There must be a middle-aged lesbian artist auntie outfitters website somewhere
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4226

Well, if someone thinks he's a bit up himself they're surely in for an aneurism when you throw Thile into the mix.

On a different note, anyone know how the hell these Mahogany sessions are recorded? The clarity is insane.
    edited March 22
    Lewy said:
    Well, if someone thinks he's a bit up himself they're surely in for an aneurism when you throw Thile into the mix.
    Is Thile the bloke dressed as a watermelon?
    Lewy said:

On a different note, anyone know how the hell these Mahogany sessions are recorded? The clarity is insane.
    On the Little Blue one they had to clarify that Jacob had a hidden lavalier mic (it's in his woolly hat if you look at the shape) as people were assuming he wasn't really singing as there was no mic on him. You probably won't see it on Summer Rain video beacuse of the way he's standing but he also has a cable coming out of the strap pin on his guitar with the cable running up his jumper - I guess that and the Lav mic are being sent wirelessly from some kind of pack on his back. You can see it a few times on Little Blue. Another good reason for the massive hippy jumpers. Chris Thile's mandolin is cabled by the looks of it and they've not tried to hide that.

I think they must use a lot of subtly placed ambient room mics in that space - churches generally do create a lovely acoustic space so it's possible things are just carrying really well as well to be picked up by those.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1347
    sev112 said:

Fabulous song, great team/ group approach 
    I just don't get it.

On any given day you can walk down Exeter high street and see someone like this singing a heartfelt lament over a delicate finger-picked guitar part whilst dressed as a minstrel - usually with a dog on a string lying on a mattress...?!
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4226
    edited March 22
    Philly_Q said:
    Lewy said:
    Is Thile the bloke dressed as a watermelon?
    Chris Thile of Nickel Creek and Punch Bros. Arguably the finest mandolin player on the planet and similar levels of genius to Collier, although within a narrower stylistic range.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Yeah it’s pop shit with bbc kids presenter type style. Puke worthy 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom