0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9759
    Thank you good sir
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27099
    You guys are wayyyy too fast. Don’t you have procrastination to do?!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    You guys are wayyyy too fast. Don’t you have procrastination to do?!
    Yeah, I've three others at about 20% done lol and a composition track to cram in before the deadline
  • idiotwindidiotwind Frets: 470
    I'm actually quite slow, but also ridiculously ahead of schedule. I've got an O track that is 90% done and have transcribed the drum part for a P track, which I'm now transcribing the bass for.

I do limit myself to 2 songs per letter, otherwise I could have got into double digits for things like I, L and M. So I work on the next couple of letters instead
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27606
    idiotwind said:
    I'm actually quite slow, but also ridiculously ahead of schedule. I've got an O track that is 90% done and have transcribed the drum part for a P track, which I'm now transcribing the bass for.

I'm thinking about AA now ... which is OK if it's the first 2 words of a title, but a bit more challenging if it's the first two letters of the first word of a title
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    TTony said:
    idiotwind said:

I'm thinking about AA now ... which is OK if it's the first 2 words of a title, but a bit more challenging if it's the first two letters of the first word of a title
    ;)
    I reckon I'll make a start on Xanadu soon. Let's be honest, it's virtually guaranteed for X and the only drama will be whether it's Rush or Olivia Newton John 
    And my third (and final) is on its way.

Blame my Mother-in-Law.  If she'd not been staying for the last week, I might not have sought sanctuary in my music room ...

This one definitive falls into the category of one song in the style of another.  In this case, it's in the style of a player who's nowhere near as good as the original player.
    ;)

Really simple set-up for this.

Godin A6 ultra, mainly the piezo output with a tiny bit of HB mixed in, double-tracked so I could pan it L/R very slightly and with some minor EQ tweaks.
    Vocals also double-tracked for the chorus part.
    Kick and hihat from BFD drums

I'll admit that I cheated on this - guitar and vocals were recorded separately!
    If this continues we might have to rename this @TTony 's cover challenge in memory of Poopot

@TTony in the playlist again
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:

That's not cheating. That's sensible studio recording. If James Hetfield and John Mayer are allowed to record guitars and vocals separately then I think it's fine for the rest of us to do it too!
    If this continues we might have to rename this @TTony 's cover challenge in memory of Poopot

@TTony in the playlist again
    If you can't do quality, do quantity
    ;)

Mine have been pretty simple compared to some of the other arrangements (mentioning no names @flying_pie!) though, so a bit quicker and easier to do.

I've really been using the challenge as a discipline to get stuff completed, rather than endlessly and aimlessly noodling, or learning little bits of songs, plus I've had a lot more spare time in recent weeks.  That last track has been on my "to learn one day" list for ages, so this was the opportunity/incentive to do it.  
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    TTony said:

Then every recording I have ever made I have cheated on.
    TTony said:

That's not cheating. That's sensible studio recording. If James Hetfield and John Mayer are allowed to record guitars and vocals separately then I think it's fine for the rest of us to do it too!
    IMC1980 said:
    TTony said:

Then every recording I have ever made I have cheated on.

Fair comments! 

To learn it, I'd been watching the YT videos of Lindsey Buckingham doing this live when he's - obviously - playing and singing simultaneously. 

Somehow. 

Compared to those versions I felt like I was cheating.  Or a mere mortal
    ;)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28377
    I think I've cracked how to do No More Heroes without it being a straight cover.

Once I've put some flesh on it I might well ask if anyone's willing to contribute vocals. They might need to not think too fondly of the original, mind.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    I got 2 sets of drums done today. Hoping to bash through the rest in the next couple of days to get both finished. 

Not actually sure if I’ll submit both yet, but it’s all good learning :)
    I've just started work on a third entry having not yet finished entry number 2 but I'll have that done either this weekend or next. I also have a potential joint 4th entry in the pipeline!!!

Not that it's a competition, of course.

Hang on, it is a competition... but I was meaning that we don't get extra points for extra entries and there's no need to submit any more than one entry each.
    I have very few creative outlets in general so i'm afraid the attendees of this thread generally bear the brunt of that - that's why I do so many entries I think. I also find it hard in my music generally to have a coherent theme of style or sound so it gives me a chance to play the different characters of wet-wipe-acoustic-singer, Jeff-Buckley-from-Wish.com, cheesy-piano-singer, and occasional make-a-racket-with-fuzz kind of nonsense.

I've two more I'd definitely like to do if possible, though one is probably a bit too similar to what I've already done and requires a more consistent finger picking accompaniment than I've managed so far (wet-wipe-acoustic-singer style). The other one is the one I was asking about the hand percussion so that's not going well either. There's also a few others waiting in the wings if either of those preferred two fail, one is a fuzz-racket type mashup, one is a 00s teenager throwback and the other is a pretentious overblown ridiculous thing to attempt.
    I've just started work on a third entry having not yet finished entry number 2 but I'll have that done either this weekend or next. I also have a potential joint 4th entry in the pipeline!!!

Hang on, it is a competition... but I was meaning that we don't get extra points for extra entries and there's no need to submit any more than one entry each.
    I have a list of about 10 at the moment. And at least that many again for O and P... 

I have a list of about 10 at the moment. And at least that many again for O and P... 
    Indeed. However,  I only consider ideas to have become working entries when they're suitably messed up and also viable from a composition and production pov. Newest entry has the working title of "No More Tear-oes" and is essentially a what if No More Heroes had been originally written by Ozzy and Zakk. I expect the project to stall a little when it gets to the guitar solo and I spend a month trying to get some licks up to speed!
    edited April 19
    In a mad flurry this afternoon, I had a go at the one that I said I fancied doing but wasn't sure if my finger picking was up to it. I'm still not sure it is, but it was sounding decent enough so I quickly fired up Cubase and just went for it. Bert Jansch's Needle of Death. A nice uplifting song about somebody dying from taking heroin I think?

Acoustic and vocals recorded through condenser mic, then the acoustic also running through a pickup at the same time into a Helix Native acoustic preset and an IR. Added a bit of reverb, eq (god my pickup is a hissy bastard) and compression. A live all-the-way-through take, hence I get bit out of breath at times but I think/hope it's ok

Edit, forgot to mention with this one and Northern Sky, that I'm using different tunings than normal! This one is fairly standard but the D string is tuned to E instead as it makes this song a hell of a lot easier. Northern Sky the guitar was tuned to one of Nick Drake's tunings but one semi tone higher I think (plus capo on 4th fret so I'm playing a semitone higher than his recording. I think it's BEBEBE tuning but I'll have to check from the tab I was using as a guide