Gibson Slash "Jessica" Les Paul is here

What's Hot

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5600
    I (mostly) don't name my guitars. Can I please still be a weirdo?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4228
    randella said:
    impmann said:
    The original Jessica was a factory second and one of two Les Paul™ guitars that Gibson sent to Slash in the late 80s. 

Wow, they really thought a lot of him didn't they? They sent him a factory second...

And now, that factory second (since refinished in sideboard-brown) is being copied and being sold as a premium guitar. Ironic? Much.

Definitely one for diehard Slash fans - as it’s e had to pay for them tooa lot of money for a butt-ugly, brown Les Paul with a shitty, mismatched three piece top. I've seen nicer guitars made by Columbus...

He had to pay for them too cheaper as they were seconds 
    I was watching a rig rundown-style thing from Gibson with Mark Agnesi talking to Slash about his guitars. Agnesi asked if Gibson gave Slash the guitars (one of which became Jessica), he said - basically - no, they did them at cost for the factory seconds.

Agnesi did look a bit aghast at that which was amusing but, to be fair, this was the late 80s and GnR were just getting into their stride. Fender didn't honour probably one of the world's most famous Strat players at the time - Clapton - with their very first signature model until, what? 1988?
    Absolutely ,he was just going on tour when he got them 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4208
    PPPMAT said:
    I'm waiting for the Derrig - I would love Gibson to do a copy of a knock off, I'm only actually half joking as well.
    EBMM actually did that.

Joe Dart played a cheap and nasty stingray rip off and now EBMM make a £3000 version. 
    Oh no way? His sig(s) look great, I don’t know much else about him but he’s good good taste in basses :mrgeen:
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9699
    Offset said:
    Crikey - £3k for a plain 3-piece top and a Slash squiggle on the back of the headstock.
    Save yourself £1k by waiting for the Epiphone version.
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SixStringSageSixStringSage Frets: 135
    randella said:
    randella 

Agnesi did look a bit aghast at that which was amusing but, to be fair, this was the late 80s and GnR were just getting into their stride. Fender didn't honour probably one of the world's most famous Strat players at the time - Clapton - with their very first signature model until, what? 1988?
    I think we can all agree Gibson has made it up to him by now though! (The video you're talking about is "The Collection" on GibsonTV - lots of really good episodes with various players)

Ah that's the lad! Yeah it was a good watch, the palpable discomfort between the two of them when the subject of the Derrig came up actually felt human which was nice in the face of all the 'Play Authentic' toot. 

I particularly liked the bit where Slash said the Derrig would be his desert island guitar still! The guy owns multiple genuine Bursts, and Gibson have given him countless signature models, and he'd still take the Derig
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1501
    swiller said:
    Only weirdos name their guitars apparently. Sure i read that on here a few months ago.
    Yes. And it’s true. 
    My mate refers to cars and guitars as "she"...oh she's nice isn't she...oh she's a cracking looking car...
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12208
    Offset said:
    Crikey - £3k for a plain 3-piece top and a Slash squiggle on the back of the headstock.
    I appreciate the kind thought, but errrm... no thanks :-)
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24733
    PPPMAT said:
    I'm waiting for the Derrig - I would love Gibson to do a copy of a knock off, I'm only actually half joking as well.
    EBMM actually did that.

Joe Dart played a cheap and nasty stingray rip off and now EBMM make a £3000 version. 
    Oh no way? His sig(s) look great, I don’t know much else about him but he’s good good taste in basses :mrgeen:
    his original one - confusingly called a Stingray even though it has the Sterling body shape and neck profile - is lovely. Ok, it's very simple with only 1 volume and nothing else but the tone he gets on the Live at Madison Square Gardens Vulfpeck gig is just immense.

All the compression in the world, EB Group Flatwounds and a Markbass rig. There is a cab on stage for personal monitoring, but the DI on the head is feeding the PA directly.

Such a thick and chewy sound.

I'd love one of those basses. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12697
    Offset said:
    Save yourself £3k by not buying one at all. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2346
    Yeah, I'm on the side of calling a guitar a name, (and obviously thinking it's female) is just....cringe.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2215
    “Red” and “Blue” 

*vomits in mouth* 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23393
    Nerine said:
    “Red” and “Blue” 

*vomits in mouth* 
    Vomiting in your sleep can be dangerous.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1199
    Offset said:
    Or wait and spend an extra 5 or 6k for the Murphy Lab version with authentic cigarette burn?
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3412
    nero1701 said:
    swiller said:
    Only weirdos name their guitars apparently. Sure i read that on here a few months ago.
    Yes. And it’s true. 
    My mate refers to cars and guitars as "she"...oh she's nice isn't she...oh she's a cracking looking car...
    Your friend is Swiss Tony and I claim my £5
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2215
    Philly_Q said:
    Nerine said:
    “Red” and “Blue” 

*vomits in mouth* 
    Vomiting in your sleep can be dangerous.
    I see what you did there. Excellent. 
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1117
    Were I in the market for a signature model, this is the one I'd go for.

I prefer plain tops and the 3 piece is one of the things that makes "Jessica" stand out.

The only thing about this guitar (and most Slash sig models) that rules it out for me is the big neck profile.
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2444
    BigPaulie said:
    Were I in the market for a signature model, this is the one I'd go for.

I prefer plain tops and the 3 piece is one of the things that makes "Jessica" stand out.

The only thing about this guitar (and most Slash sig models) that rules it out for me is the big neck profile.
    Like all Gibson necks, they do vary - my Slash model is more like a slightly rounder slim taper profile, not the chunky profile I'd tried on other Slash models at all. So try one when you can, you never know!
    Tim
  • NCoNCo Frets: 166
    Yeah, I'm on the side of calling a guitar a name, (and obviously thinking it's female) is just....cringe.
    Don't judge.

For people who are bilingual, or whose English isn't a native tongue, it is normal to think of a guitar as female.

Unlike English, almost 50% of the languages assign grammatical gender to nouns, some examples being languages like Spanish, French and German.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2346
    NCo said:
    Don't judge.

For people who are bilingual, or whose English isn't a native tongue, it is normal to think of a guitar as female.

Unlike English, almost 50% of the languages assign grammatical gender to nouns, some examples being languages like Spanish, French and German.

Apologies to offend anyone, but still, it's a guitar, not 'blue' 'red' or 'Jessica'. I'm merely calling out the rockstar style naming of it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2444
    edited April 11
    NCo said:
    Don't judge.

Grammatical gendering in a different language is a very different thing to middle-aged English speakers giving guitars female names and posting to the Les Paul Facebook group at 10pm with sexualised descriptions.

I don't think anyone would have a go at a French person for saying "la guitare", or at Joe Bloggs for naming the guitar he bought with his late mum's inheritance after her; hell, even Slash naming his Victoria goldtop after the woman who stole it at least ties in to the guitar's history.

However, Nigel posting "This is my new Les Paul, Roberta, I love the curves on this beauty and she'll never leave me, I love how I can treat her gentle or make her scream" will always make me cringe, gag a little  and suspect that the line between women and objects is blurred in Nigel's mind.

Unfortunately, the latter is encountered frequently enough that it's hard not to think of it when coming across a named guitar.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom