Gibson Slash "Jessica" Les Paul is here

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12514
    timmypix said:
    NCo said:
    Unfortunately, the latter is encountered frequently enough that it's hard not to think of it when coming across a named guitar.
    I think that either consciously or subconsciously, you've hit the nail on the head.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7044
    Offset said:
    timmypix said:
    NCo said:
    Unfortunately, the latter is encountered frequently enough that it's hard not to think of it when coming across a named guitar.
    I think that either consciously or subconsciously, you've hit the nail on the head.
    Lol, I’ll name my guitar “Bernard Manning” to keep it safe.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2353
    timmypix said:
    NCo said:
    Yeah, I'm on the side of calling a guitar a name, (and obviously thinking it's female) is just....cringe.
    Don't judge.

For people who are bilingual, or whose English isn't a native tongue, it is normal to think of a guitar as female.

Unlike English, almost 50% of the languages assign grammatical gender to nouns, some examples being languages like Spanish, French and German.

Grammatical gendering in a different language is a very different thing to middle-aged English speakers giving guitars female names and posting to the Les Paul Facebook group at 10pm with sexualised descriptions.

I don't think anyone would have a go at a French person for saying "la guitare", or at Joe Bloggs for naming the guitar he bought with his late mum's inheritance after her; hell, even Slash naming his Victoria goldtop after the woman who stole it at least ties in to the guitar's history.

However, Nigel posting "This is my new Les Paul, Roberta, I love the curves on this beauty and she'll never leave me, I love how I can treat her gentle or make her scream" will always make me cringe, gag a little  and suspect that the line between women and objects is blurred in Nigel's mind.

Hit the nail on the head.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2577
    There’s a difference between gendered nouns in a language and actually describing an inanimate object as female 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2476
    edited April 11
    Anyway, we're in danger of this veering into the quarterly "does anyone else name their guitars" thread, so let's just accept that in this case, Slash did, and now Gibson want your money so you can pretend a completely different guitar is the same guitar, which they're now very good at. Maybe if you already bought Victoria you can choose which one you play Mambo No. 5 on.

I'll be interested to see if these fly off the shelves because Jessica is probably Slash's most iconic guitar behind the Derrig, or if punters are put off by paying the same as they would for the flame-top models. 
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SixStringSageSixStringSage Frets: 135
    For the criticisms about the female name, don't forget Slash a) has only named a small number of his guitars and b) two of them are called Pete. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ALRALR Frets: 144
    Epiphone made a signature slash LP in 1997 with the snakepit logo on it. Just get that it’ll be well cheaper
    mhep mhep mhep!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom