Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16960
    holnrew said:

I wonder if there is a list of ales and beers that are suitable for vegetarians? Some say on the label, some say not suitable, most have nothing... 

EDIT: Actually this one is more comprehensive http://www.barnivore.com/beer
    they are slightly misleading - but that second one with links to all the evidence it good.

Take Coors Light as an example.   Coors light sold  in the UK is brewed in the UK.  the response from the Canadian arm of the company states its vegan, but I am not totally sure this applies to ours.  I know Grolsch and Cobra are, but I am really not confident about any of out other lagers as no-one has specifically told me like they have for the others

You can see on the Carling page it mentions grolsch as our veggie option
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 632
    DiscoStu said:
    The 45 bottle drainer and the matching rinser

The drainer is a lifesaver! The rinser is a cinch to use too, you fill it with sterilizer then push your bottle down on the sprung nozzle and voila- a sterilized bottle!

On my "to get" list, I hate bottling and as a result have 4 kegs but like the portability factor of bottles, what did you use for the labels? They complete the bottle and yours look decent.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I love beer. I was very glad to see the back of Stop-tober (even though I decided to have the weekends off from not drinking).

All beers have their place imo, even the crappy ones. Fosters /  Carling / Carsbrough (sp?) are great for hot sunny bbq days or drinking with hot spicy food. Doom Bar is gooooooood, but it gets is bottom spanked by London Pride, Shropshire Lad, Hobgoblin, etc.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• The reason Larger is called Larger is that it is German for warehouse.
    The beer was stored in warehouses below the waterline of a river keeping it at
    10C there the beer would go into very slow secondary fermentation and then settle
    and clear.

• Hogsback T.E.A. - Traditional English Ale

Best pint in the world ever.
  • Hogsback T.E.A. - Traditional English Ale

Best pint in the world ever.
    Almost. I liked their Burma Star Ale even better
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31148
    With regards to @theprettydamned 's opening remarks re Eurobeer, I was selected on the MCC Tour to Belgium 2006. The first line of the official tour report was as follows: 'It is said there are 3246 variants of Beer in Belgium and at the end of the week, MCC were rumoured to have sampled each and every one.......

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • well done, chaps :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6270
    Don't understand why people drink the mass produced crap lager like Foster, Carling, Amstel, Heineken, peroni, etc etc. Just rubbish. PInts of tasteless piss and gas.

If you like lagers, there's some great ones done by smaller breweries - our local, Thornbridge does some brilliant lager type beers. Well, to be fair, everything they make is great such as one called Baize, which is a 5.5.% stout made with chocolate and mint. I also like their Koln beer, and some of theor american IPA styles, like Chiron.

Crafty Dan (Thwaites' micro brewery) make some good ales too.

I had some Guinness Porter last night, thick meaty stuff, 6%, very full flavoured. Nice. Costo are doing it for about 6 or 7 quid for 8 bottles.

I also like all the Brewdog stuff: beer that tastes of something.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage;401391" said:
    With regards to @theprettydamned 's opening remarks re Eurobeer, I was selected on the MCC Tour to Belgium 2006. The first line of the official tour report was as follows: 'It is said there are 3246 variants of Beer in Belgium and at the end of the week, MCC were rumoured to have sampled each and every one.......
    Jesus. Good work, man.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    crunchman said:
    Fuller's "London Pride" is a favourite,  and I'm also partial to Newcastle Brown in the bottle, but if I go into a pub, I will try anything on the hand pump that I haven't tried before.
    I live about 10 minutes walk from the Fullers brewery.  They sell small casks in the brewery shop so we normally get one at Christmas.  I really like their ESB as well but it's a bit lethal at 5.8%.

I can remember driving past it when I was in college in London. The smell is wonderful! It just smells of London pubs, if that makes sense? Yes, ESB  is another favourite of mine, too. Used to have all that and shedloads more at the Dickens Inn at St.Kath's dock.

• if you like Fuller's, try the 1845 Bottle Conditioned ale. Full of malty goodness! :)
  • I really quite liked hobgoblin. Any fans? Quite flavoursome, easy to drink. Had it quite chilled, but possibly would have been better slightly less cool.

Also, I tried one called honey dew or something. Bloody loved it. It wasn't the fuller's one though.
  • Waggle Dance and HoneyDew are also great if you like Honey Beer.

I fell in love with Honey Beer from visits to Canada where its staple diet...!!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16960
    I am not really a fan of hobgoblin.   I like strong flavours, but just don't think its that well balanced

the think I like about brewdog stuff is the clarity.  Big stong strong flavours, but really clear  with it
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    Snap said:
    Don't understand why people drink the mass produced crap lager like Foster, Carling, Amstel, Heineken, peroni, etc etc. Just rubbish. PInts of tasteless piss and gas.

If you like lagers, there's some great ones done by smaller breweries - our local, Thornbridge does some brilliant lager type beers. Well, to be fair, everything they make is great such as one called Baize, which is a 5.5.% stout made with chocolate and mint. I also like their Koln beer, and some of theor american IPA styles, like Chiron.

Crafty Dan (Thwaites' micro brewery) make some good ales too.

I had some Guinness Porter last night, thick meaty stuff, 6%, very full flavoured. Nice. Costo are doing it for about 6 or 7 quid for 8 bottles.

I also like all the Brewdog stuff: beer that tastes of something.
    Have a Wisdom! 

Although they can be expensive to buy, some of the Thornbridge beers are fucking king! 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I like Hobgoblin, but I wouldn't say it's a favourite ale.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• WezV;401588" said:
    I am not really a fan of hobgoblin.   I like strong flavours, but just don't think its that well balanced

the think I like about brewdog stuff is the clarity.  Big stong strong flavours, but really clear  with it
    Definitely need to try that.
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    edited November 2014
    Langhams LSD and Langhams Sundowner are two of my faves at the mo, my local has Harveys Old Ale on right now which is my absolute favourite throughout the winter months. I love the stuff, so much so I have an account at my local brewery! £1.29 a pint! Langhams at Lodsworth. To me some of the finest ales I've ever had the privilage of guzzling and it's dead local.

Here's a tip, if you like ale, open an account at a local brewery or two  you'll probably pay between £1.26 - £1.30 a pint strength depending. The other benefit is you can have a mini beer festival when you have friends round for a bbq. I do a couple of times a year. It's amazing how fast you can drink 36 pints in an afternoon/evening between 5 or 6 of you.
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    mike_l said:
    I like Hobgoblin, but I wouldn't say it's a favourite ale.
    The funny thing is their other ones that I've tried, though harder to get, are nicer. Goliath is a low 4% that was quite refreshing.