Comments

• dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522

I find this topic baffling - not just this thread, this conversational topic. Occasionally my mates do this thing where they just list the most obscure and expensive ales they can in a beardy nerdy cock measuring competition. Or try to drag me to some pub halfway across London cos it's the only one to sell a draft version of some pretentious dishwater they discovered while backpacking across Bulgaria. All alcohol tastes bad. Really bad. Am I the only one who just likes to get pissed?

All practice and no theory
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @dafuzz its not about getting pissed its about the flavour on the way to getting pissed. if you calculate it correctly you could inject a tiny quantity of whisky into your bloodstream and be pissed out of your brains in a few minutes. but most of us don't want to do that
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    dafuzz said:

Or try to drag me to some pub halfway across London cos it's the only one to sell a draft version of some pretentious dishwater

Personally I'd wait for the final version of the dishwater. ;)
    If you don't like the taste fair enough, I suppose it explains the existence of fosters (there was a point I got through a reasonable amount of the stuff, though even then would have preferred carlsberg as a slightly more palatable alternative, carling is inoffensive but largely tasteless). I don't like most metal, but there appear to be people who can listen to it for more than five minutes.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Okay, I shall try some of this Doom Bar stuff as my local has it and I keep hearing about it. But if it's filth I'm jolly well coming back on here and giving you lot a piece of my mind.

• longilongi Frets: 95
    I can't get into Doom Bar myself I just find it a bit bland same as T.E.A. and Ringwood Best, not that it stops me from drinking them though. Does anyone know of an ale that has a real barley sugar taste? Since the Gales brewery closed I haven't been able to find a point like Gales best or Butler for love nor money. The Fullers take on HSB and Butser are not even remotely close to the Gales Ales.
  • dafuzz;402485" said:
    Okay, I shall try some of this Doom Bar stuff as my local has it and I keep hearing about it. But if it's filth I'm jolly well coming back on here and giving you lot a piece of my mind.
    Perhaps you just don't like alcohol?

I thought I didn't like beer, and was a cider drinker, until recently.

One of my friend's hates all alcohol - even when it's a tiny bit with fruit juice, she just hates the flavour completely.

ThePrettyDamned said:

dafuzz;402485" said:
    Perhaps you just don't like alcohol?

I thought I didn't like beer, and was a cider drinker, until recently.

One of my friend's hates all alcohol - even when it's a tiny bit with fruit juice, she just hates the flavour completely.

Bingo! I like *the effect* of alcohol however.

http://www.tickld.com/cdn_image_content/64943.jpg

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6270
    dafuzz said:

All alcohol tastes bad. Really bad. Am I the only one who just likes to get pissed?

no way. I would prefer to be able to spend hours drinking loads of different ales and NOT get pissed. I don't actually like getting pissed tbh, but I love drinking. I love the taste of beer, good wine, good whisky. The frsutration comes when I feel mullered and know that anymore will make me feel sheeite.

A well looked forward to beer, is one of life's great pleasures.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzz said:

I find this topic baffling - not just this thread, this conversational topic. Occasionally my mates do this thing where they just list the most obscure and expensive ales they can in a beardy nerdy cock measuring competition. Or try to drag me to some pub halfway across London cos it's the only one to sell a draft version of some pretentious dishwater they discovered while backpacking across Bulgaria. All alcohol tastes bad. Really bad. Am I the only one who just likes to get pissed?

you are not alone, 
    I too am not a fan of the taste of alcohol. That's not to say I don't enjoy getting pissed :)

The only alcohol I could say I genuinely like the taste of is Newcastle Brown. Apart from that I can tolerate lager and the occasional ale enough to get drunk. Spirits are a complete non starter and cant for the life of me understand why anyone takes pleasure in drinking whisky.

I have just purchased a selection of Brewdog beers to try over Christmas, hopefully there will be something there I like :) 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6417
    edited December 2016
    Tried a few of these at the weekend, because unbelievably they'd run out of Guiness - have to say it was bloody delicious.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Is Brewdog the stuff that tastes of grapefruit juice? Don't like that.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16960
    Is Brewdog the stuff that tastes of grapefruit juice? Don't like that.

The elvis juice one does, not all brewdog brews do.

However there is a split between modern ales which have grapefruit flavours and aromas from the hops, and a smaller number of modern craft brews which have grapefruit juice added..  Its not an unusual flavour to have in beer these days.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11519
    edited December 2016
    My wife is going to the Fuller's brewery this afternoon to buy a cask of proper live stuff for Christmas.  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6270
    bobblehat said:
    cant for the life of me understand why anyone takes pleasure in drinking whisky.

you have an affliction my friend. Clearly there is something wrong with you. If you are talking about not likeing something like Bell's, I'd agree. But....a 21 year old Highland Park, an 18 year old Old Pulteney, man, you have to be without any taste not to like em! ;)

Try something finished in a port or sherry cask, lovely
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6417
    crunchman said:
    My wife is going to the Fuller's brewery this afternoon to buy a cask of proper live stuff for Christmas.  :)
    How long are giving her before you send out a wheelbarrow, or even search parties ? ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    WezV said:

However there is a split between modern ales which have grapefruit flavours and aromas from the hops, and a smaller number of modern craft brews which have grapefruit juice added..  Its not an unusual flavour to have in beer these days.

Not the juice, too acid. Mostly zest. You can buy it dried from homebrewing shops.

I did an orange Porter in which I used the grated zest of 20 blood oranges. Lovely. Still have some in bottle though I doubt there'll be much left after Xmas.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    We were going to get our customary pin from our local brewery, but they've cocked up and forgotten to renew their license!

Oh well, I guess we'll have to make do with bottles.  8 Wainright for £8 at Booths!
  • PSRPSR Frets: 1
    PSR

I just call it as I see it.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16960
    hywelg said:
    WezV said:

Not the juice, too acid. Mostly zest. You can buy it dried from homebrewing shops.

I did an orange Porter in which I used the grated zest of 20 blood oranges. Lovely. Still have some in bottle though I doubt there'll be much left after Xmas.
    yeah know, wrong word, right principle.  just distinguishing between grapefruit flavour from real grapefruit, and grapefruit flavour from the new world hops.