Comments

• nick_snick_s Frets: 138
    Oh I love me a good beer, proper beer that is.  My favourite three breweries are:

Shepherd Neame
    Woodforde's
    Titanic

I was raised on Neame (namely Spitfire and Bishops Finger), which I only see as a blessing.  My dad always let me try a sip of his drink so as not to keep booze a mystery, and it worked quite well.  I had a taste for good beer from a young age.  The fresher the better, which leads me to Woodforde's.

I spent a few years living near Norwich (ish) and discovered The Fur & Feathers in Woodbastwick.  The beer doesn't get any fresher as the brewery is on site to the pub (or you could say the pub is on site to the brewery).  Fantastic food and fantastic beer.  If you ever get a chance, their barley wine 'Headcracker' is a stunning pint.  A few of those in the summer and you know about it!

I since moved to Staffordshire and discovered Titanic.  Their 'Plum Porter' is a sublime pint, smooth, fruity and down right brilliant.  Not too bitter, just a nice easy pint to drink.
    - Shine On You Crazy Diamond -
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My local shop has had some Brewdog Hoppy Christmas in, 3 for £5. I thought it rude not to indulge, and it is rather nice being strong (7.2) but not treacley.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6268
    Nitefly said:
    A lot of the hoppy american IPAs are this strong. I got in a bit of a tangle last year visiting US, and getting a bit over enthusiastic with the local brews, not realising that the regular strength beer is around 7-8 percent! Their weaker "everyday all day" beer is a mere 5-6%. Good tackle/
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    Jalapeno said:
    Tried a few of these at the weekend, because unbelievably they'd run out of Guiness - have to say it was bloody delicious.

Yes that one is lovely, May I recommend this stout for you too.

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8120
    Currently enjoying a pint of Roasted Nuts by Rebellion Brewery in Marlow.  

Yum!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    Ben Truman - who was this man of beer?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    I like Munich beers, Hacker Pschorr is probably my favourite of the bunch.

I'm also partial to Austrian lager beers too, Zipfer, Stiegl and Kaiser are probably the more commercial brands but my favourite is Hüber which is a beer local to St Johann in Tirol.

The big brew lagers (Carlsberg, Carling, Fosters, etc.) available in this country are vile - all gas and chemicals.

A small brewery lager I like is Korev, brewed by St Austell Brewery in Cornwall.

These days I tend to drink Bradfields Farmers Blonde at our local, it's very easy to drink, nice and smooth, not gassy at all.
    We are all Chameleons...
  • I had a good Xmas present buying experience last week in work. My dad told me he wanted some beer for Xmas, and a colleague has a craft brewery, and by chance had brought a load of beer in to work, fulfilling orders, but he also had some spare. So I got my dad a mixed case. I wish I'd got some for myself now. Anyway this is the chap, if anyone is local I can recommend a call/visit some time.

https://www.facebook.com/indigenousbrewery.co.uk/
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    TonyR said:
    I like Munich beers, Hacker Pschorr is probably my favourite of the bunch.
    I love the stuff, especially the wheat beers. Paulaner is very nice too. 
  • I decided to try some IPA Beers...

I got this from Tesco...

I prefer larger.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16945
    I prefer larger.
    Larger what?

I had 2 large bottles this weekend

• SporkySporky Frets: 29132
    I would like to make mention of the Hogsback Brewery's Hogstar.

It's like lager but delicious.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3070
    I decided to try some IPA Beers...

I got this from Tesco...

I prefer larger.
    Not a great selection of IPAs, although 13 Guns isn't bad cold in cans at a BBQ.

From Tesco, your selection is limited, but Brewdog Punk IPA is also not bad, and I particularly like their Elvis Juice. Thornbridge Jaipur is excellent, and Meantime London IPA is excellent if you can find it.

I'm spoiled round here - my local pub has a constant selection of great beers from local breweries. Shout out to The Mended Drum, Huby.

R.
    I don’t think any of those are going to convince a lager drinker to switch to ale.

IPA fans will suggest their favourite, but sometimes you need a gateway beer before trying the overly hopped styles.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12093
    I would have thought Deuchars IPA would be acceptable to a lager drinker?
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I had a good Xmas present buying experience last week in work. My dad told me he wanted some beer for Xmas, and a colleague has a craft brewery, and by chance had brought a load of beer in to work, fulfilling orders, but he also had some spare. So I got my dad a mixed case. I wish I'd got some for myself now. Anyway this is the chap, if anyone is local I can recommend a call/visit some time.

https://www.facebook.com/indigenousbrewery.co.uk/
    Although having said that, I'm still baffled as to what is so indigenous about hops. Nothing!
  • "Summa That"  by the Branscombe Brewery in East Devon, pure nectar.
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11517
    Sporky said:

Does not compute.  It's lager or it's delicious.  Don't see how it can be both.
    crunchman said:
    Sporky said:

Does not compute.  It's lager or it's delicious.  Don't see how it can be both.
    Not all lager has to be mass produced and have all its taste removed.   I am quite partial to a Vienna style lager or something dark like Negra modello