Why will PRS not stay in tune

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• BarneyBarney Frets: 625
    Barney said:
     I noticed today when pressing down on the Trem the wings on the tuners moving ...IV done a video ...does anyone know iff this is normal and iff not what can I do about it 

Thanks 

They’re not meant to move. It might be time to replace them with some phase IIs as they can iften be installed without making new holes. 

Do your winged tuners have the shared screw between the D & G strings? You may need to grind the mounts back on a new set if so.

p.s. Whereabouts in the UK are you?
    I was hoping maybe something just needed tightened but maybe I should just get some new ones ....

no they are not shared screws 

I am in Whitehaven/ Cumbria ..
    I have updated my YouTube to public so you can see it's 

@paulbarnes7793 on YouTube 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    My user is @Paulbarnes7793 on YouTube I think you need to log on to you tube .....sorry I can't seem to get it working any other way it's on my latest shorts vids and I just made it public 

• GuitarAndy2GuitarAndy2 Frets: 23
    edited August 24
    So from what I'm seeing in the video the wings on the low E, A tuners (possibly the G as well, though that might just be the string tension dropping, it's not clear from the video) are turning when you depress the trem (which I think would suggest they're being held in place on tension rather than the mechanism properly locking), but the D, B and high E remain static?

I only have the SE locking tuners so I'm not 100% on the difference in functionality to the winged style USA locking tuners, but mine all stay static when you abuse the trem either down or up on both my Custom 24 and my Tremonti. 

Hopefully my link to your YT short below works better now than the earlier attempt (perhaps not, wonder if it's an issue with not being able to play shorts as embedded videos).

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12238
    I just brought my 305 to my sister’s for the bank holiday weekend as my brother in law wants to try it.  I’ve not used it since I restrung it back in 2021. It’s still in tune and stayed in tune after an hour of playing. 

I think they are the phrase 2 tuners.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8688
    Oh yes, the tuners with the Flymo blade poking out.  No, that's not normal.  The whole mechanism is worn or loose.  I don't know enough about those particular tuners to comment on the cause other than what ICBM and Funkfingers might suggest.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4456
    My PRS Cu24 is the most rock solid guitar I've ever had in terms of tuning throughout entire gigs 
    My PRS has rock solid tuning stability. Best of any guitar I've ever had.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15093
    Say it three times and it becomes truth. ;)

I view this forum on a smartphone. For me, the video hyperlinks are greyed out and, therefore, not accessible. :frown: 

One at a time, unlock one string, remove the screw, wing collar and circlip to access the hex nut that fastens each machinehead to the headstock. If necessary, nip up the hex nut. Reassemble. Restring. Retune.

Repeat for all six machineheads.

If each machinehead is fastened correctly, any free play in the string post must be the result of wear in the gear housing. 

The only circumstance under which I can imagine the "wing collar" slipping relative to the string post is if the two flat gripping faces are not aligned.

If the entire string post shifts whenever the vibrato is operated, it is time to replace the machineheads.

It is possible to open up the gear housing of a Schaller M6 but it is a right faff, hindered by the modified string post.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    D'oh post error :) 
    Say it three times and it becomes truth. ;)

I view this forum on a smartphone. For me, the video hyperlinks are greyed out and, therefore, not accessible. :frown: 

One at a time, unlock one string, remove the screw, wing collar and circlip to access the hex nut that fastens each machinehead to the headstock. If necessary, nip up the hex nut. Reassemble. Restring. Retune.

Repeat for all six machineheads.

If each machinehead is fastened correctly, any free play in the string post must be the result of wear in the gear housing. 

The only circumstance under which I can imagine the "wing collar" slipping relative to the string post is if the two flat gripping faces are not aligned.

If the entire string post shifts whenever the vibrato is operated, it is time to replace the machineheads.

It is possible to open up the gear housing of a Schaller M6 but it is a right faff, hindered by the modified string post.
    Thanks ..I have  just tried this with the lower E string ...yes the nut was loose ..I have tightened that and it has stopped most of the wiggle on the post...so put the string back on and tried the trem and their is still movement has before but slightly less I think but the the tuning does seem better...I am going to do the rest today :)