Little things that irrationally irritate you

What's Hot

Comments

• TimcitoTimcito Frets: 1021
    People who, mid-discussion, suddenly ask who you mean by 'they' and then swell triumphantly as though they've just beaten the hell out of you at ping-pong.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6687
    “Gotten” as a past tense for “got”….neglecting the fact that “got” IS ALREADY THE PAST TENSE (of “get”, obvs.)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 5
    “Gotten” as a past tense for “got”….neglecting the fact that “got” IS ALREADY THE PAST TENSE (of “get”, obvs.)
    'Gotten' is actually a past participle form like 'seen' or 'taken,' whose past forms are 'saw' and  took.' Past participles are used with the verb 'have' - 'We have seen the film', 'I have taken my break.'

Sometimes the past form is the same as the past participle - 'We put the cat out an hour ago', 'We have just put the cat out,' but sometimes they are different. In British English they are the same with the verb 'get' - 'I got your message an hour ago,' and 'I have got two of uour messages.' However, in US English they use 'got' for the past form but the archaic 'gotten' for the past participle - 'I got your message an hour ago' but  'I have gotten two of your messages.'

After living in the US for over 20 yests, 'gotten' now sounds more natural to me for the past participle.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24841
    I won't take lessons in English from someone who things that 'gotten' is a word and that 'yests' is as well.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 373
    Life is too short to be irrationally irritated.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1579
    Email signatures that state pronouns
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:
    I won't take lessons in English from someone who things that 'gotten' is a word and that 'yests' is as well.
    I simply tries to shine a light where higorance prevails.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8168
    Emp_Fab said:
    Clearly the statement of a thinging man.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1146
    People who write text or whatsapp messages in separate ones, ie.

"Hey are you coming out tonight?"
    "A group of us are meeting at <insert pub> name"
    "hopefully you can come out"
    "if not then next weekend?"
    "let me know"

So you get 5 notifications instead of writing it all in one message.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24202

"let me know"

My sister does that.  I start replying to the second or third one, then just as I hit send something else pops up which changes my answer.  But really it's not only the multiple messages, it's the phone pinging/buzzing repeatedly which is most irritating.
    I think its cos people text as they would talk, as in an actual spoken conversation not realising they have to wait for your reply. Either way just send it all in one!
  • stylesforfreestylesforfree Frets: 216
    Everything. I just hate everything.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12895
    Philly_Q said:

"let me know"

My sister does that.  I start replying to the second or third one, then just as I hit send something else pops up which changes my answer.  But really it's not only the multiple messages, it's the phone pinging/buzzing repeatedly which is most irritating.
    Our daughter does it.  The only upside is that when my phone starts repeatedly pinging to tell me I've got a text message, I immediately know who it is.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19795
    edited July 7
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:

"let me know"

Our daughter does it.  The only upside is that when my phone starts repeatedly pinging to tell me I've got a text message, I immediately know who it is.
    My nieces do this too 
    Also I'm the weird old sarcastic person for asking a second time for a response to a perfectly reasonable simple but pertinent question that I messaged them about over 12 hours ago & I know they had received...FFS.
    The bastard high e string (I play 10's). On the last one when restringing my strat, once all strung up I give all strings a little stretch, get to the high e one and cos of my lack of winds round the peg upon stretching it the string snaps. Probably bad judgement thinking I could get away with less winds but still...
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8168
    .... once all strung up I give all strings a little stretch, get to the high e one and cos of my lack of winds round the peg upon stretching it the string snaps ..
    That ties in with the last paragraph of my observations and experience of tuners with insufficient string winds on the post. https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/3917346/#Comment_3917346
    I'm glad Rotosound include a spare High E because I've gone through a few due to exactly the same reason.
    BillDL said:
    .... once all strung up I give all strings a little stretch, get to the high e one and cos of my lack of winds round the peg upon stretching it the string snaps ..
    That ties in with the last paragraph of my observations and experience of tuners with insufficient string winds on the post. https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/3917346/#Comment_3917346
    I'm glad Rotosound include a spare High E because I've gone through a few due to exactly the same reason.
    To be honest its my lack of attention to putting more winds on the last. About 9/10 I string it up and stretch it after fine. Now I have to get a single 0.10 to replace the one I had to use from a new pack which is also annoying.
    Acoustic guitarists who willfully insist that slothead instruments are just as easy to restring as paddleheads!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 10
    The Olympics. In the words of Ozzy, 'Oh no, no, please God help me!!'
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24841
    Having to get out of bed because you've got to go to work.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom