Little things that irrationally irritate you

What's Hot

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9920
    People who confuse ‘affect’ and ‘effect’

People, in restaurants or cafés, who ask ‘Can I get a coffee?’. No, probably best if someone gets it for you. And while we’re at it… you can’t get ‘a’ coffee; you can get ‘some’ coffee or perhaps ‘a cup of’ coffee. 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 1021
    scrumhalf said:
    Shaking hands was apparently a sign that you had nothing to hide in your dominant, right hand.
    Yes, I think I remember that now as you say it. Somewhat redundant in the modern age, and it means I have to go and wash my hands as soon as possible!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Alvin said:
       How are you .    Random people and using it as a greeting (just had a telesales using it ).
    That must be a recent Americanism. When I came to live in the US in 2002, one conversational difference I noticed was the tendency of people I didn't know - people in stores, offices, wherever - saying 'How are you?' to me instead of simply 'Hello' or, for the more posh, 'Good Morning/afternoon/evening.' Even now, I evade that nonsense question by simply replying 'Hello.' 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 1118
    edited June 26
    Definitely the 'can I get a coffee', No, you're not in America mate!

When the table mat sticks to the bottom of the mug and just as you realise, it falls off just before you can grab it.

When walking past someone and they say 'Hi, how're you'...whilst continuing to walk on. 

Nearly every time at work, as soon as I start to pee in the toilet the phone will ring...and this is why I believe I am in a virtual reality...someone's just messing with me.

When business's pretend they care.

When people say 'LOL'...well clearly you didn't.
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
    When an onscreen page is still loading and I accidentally click on the wrong thing and have to go back. Drives me nuts. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24202
    BillDL said:
    Timcito said:
    Facial stubble. Holy crap, can you not go out in public without looking as though you've just been dragged through a hedge backwards?! 
    I've often pondered whether being dragged through a hedge forwards would result in the same degree of dishevelment.
    I think as regards facial stubble, it would probably comb it rather nicely, in the direction of growth.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1988
    Adding “….if that makes sense?” to the end of a sentence of banality.

Passengers who don’t stack their trays at the end of the airport security rollers. 

Over-promoted social media persona. I’ve never knowingly clicked on anything Matt Watson has ever done, I detest gurning bluesface Jared James Nichols and I’ve no idea who Anthony Bourdain is, but they all over my social media feeds. 

The face of John Mayer (obviously deep routed jealousy on my part)
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9770
    Genuinely, these moaning threads !

The nature of this forum, and I guess most others too, is that they have become more social media like. 
    There seem to a lot of irritated people out there, who post a thread to moan about their daily lives and activities.

=)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4078
    edited June 26
    Timcito said:
    ...people (usually men) who stick their hand out for me to shake (Why??)

Because they're people who don't care about spreading germs.  Not shaking hands isn't irrational.  At least, I don't think it's irrational.
    edited June 26

The nature of this forum, and I guess most others too, is that they have become more social media like. 
    There seem to a lot of irritated people out there, who post a thread to moan about their daily lives and activities.

Think of it as a healthy purging of angst!   

The thread was also meant to be lighthearted with people listing daft stuff. 
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1988

=)
    It’s helping me “find closure” :)
  • JEMJEM Frets: 152
    Alvin said:

How are you .    Random people and using it as a greeting (just had a telesales using it ).
    I believe "How do you do"  was historically a common polite greeting when meeting someone you didn't know. It wasn't a question and the only polite reply was "How do you do". I'd guess the various current greeting like "how do" and "alright" originate somehow from that.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3172
    Bad traffic light sequencing, waiting an age for it to go through every combination - including the green man crossing sequence - even though no one is waiting at any of the other locations. Usuallly followed by another set of badly sequenced lights.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24841
    I like the idea of replying to a "How are you?" with a long explanation of all of my problems and when it's very quickly obvious that they weren't expecting it, say "why did you ask then?".
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1429
    edited June 26
    Instagrammers / TikTokers in public. THE MOST inconsiderate sub-human species on planet earth right now. Especially the ones with their own cameramen/women. 

Where before peoples private spaces were just the areas immediately around them, these people want you to consider everything in their cameras viewing area as their own private no trespassing zone. If I'm in a foul mood I sometimes intentionally walk in their cameras line of sight and stand there. They'll either move or say something in which case i relish the ensuing argument. 
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2675
    JEM said:
    Alvin said:

I believe "How do you do"  was historically a common polite greeting when meeting someone you didn't know. It wasn't a question and the only polite reply was "How do you do". I'd guess the various current greeting like "how do" and "alright" originate somehow from that.

Yes, used to be (and possibly still is) used by snobs to identify the "right sort".  "How do you do" was considered pukka and "pleased to meet you" common. 
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9920
    People who, when asked how they are, give a considered reply.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 800
    Children... or was that not what OP meant?
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10166
    i think most things mentioned here are not all that irrational.

My irrational irritations would be...

Sage green front doors and/or garage doors on houses.
    Pineapples and the government.
    The theme tune to The One Show.
    George Michael
    The big revolving door at the entrance to M&S at Longbridge

Taking part in 1000 Lights - raising money for Uprawr Mental Health Foundation
    https://www.justgiving.com/page/pianomatt-1000lights
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7374
    HAL9000 said:

People, in restaurants or cafés, who ask ‘Can I get a coffee?’. No, probably best if someone gets it for you. And while we’re at it… you can’t get ‘a’ coffee; you can get ‘some’ coffee or perhaps ‘a cup of’ coffee. 
    On that note:

Coffee shop staff who, when asked for a cup of coffee, insist on asking:

“What kind of coffee?  Espresso, ristretto, cortado, caramel cortado, Americano, cappuccino, flat black, flat white, mocha, latte?”