Lab grown meat approved for use in the UK

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12237
    Back on topic....I will wait until the beta testers have tried it before putting it in my body.

I am not object to it, also the best way to tell is for actual people eating it, for a while...so I will wait a while.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 1349
    Sounds like Texas is the place to go then =)
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20308
    TheMarlin said:

If you can't see how 100% processed food made in a factory is worse for you than 100% natural food - then I don't have a lot to add to this thread.
    But for how long is this sustainable? And at what the price?
    Well, it has been sustainable since time began. Despite what we're told - we are not a special generation.

The planet stays the same size throughout time, but the human race doesn’t, therefore not everything remains sustainable 
    You give every human on the planet a piece of land big enough to grow all the food they would need, and still not fill Texas.  The planet will be fine. 

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8385
    TheMarlin said:

If you can't see how 100% processed food made in a factory is worse for you than 100% natural food - then I don't have a lot to add to this thread.
    But for how long is this sustainable? And at what the price?
    Well, it has been sustainable since time began. Despite what we're told - we are not a special generation.

The planet stays the same size throughout time, but the human race doesn’t, therefore not everything remains sustainable 
    You give every human on the planet a piece of land big enough to grow all the food they would need, and still not fill Texas.  The planet will be fine. 

It belonged to Native American’s else before the Europeans took it.  

Never too late for change.  I feel America is on the cusp of civil war, or a revolution……  a lot can change quickly in times like that. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29784
    It's why asbestos litigation (and others things) has a an effective cut off date: can't sue if it was old enough (sometime in the 1950s, Can't remember the exact date) as nobody on earth knew there was a problem with it.
    The ancient Egyptians knew that asbestos workers often died younger with breathing problems. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 18
    I still think it's a worthwhile goal, if we could one day manufacture a meat that looked and tasted like the real thing with the same benefits and no side effects, why wouldn't we do that?
       Personally I don't like to see animals suffer, I don't like the idea of captive animals bred just so I can eat them. And herein lies my own hypocrisy, but we are born into hypocrisy so not an easy thing to shake off.
       I would hope nobody here approves of the extreme battery farming that takes place, yet is it realistic to think we can farm as we did many years ago, with the animals welfare in mind, giving them all the land they should have? 
       I'm quite stuck in my ways, but technology can sometimes have a lot to offer...even for the Luddite.

Edit, I should have written '...even for a Luddite like me', otherwise could sound as though I was calling others a Luddite...which I'm not.

‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25278
    Sporky said:
    It's why asbestos litigation (and others things) has a an effective cut off date: can't sue if it was old enough (sometime in the 1950s, Can't remember the exact date) as nobody on earth knew there was a problem with it.
    The ancient Egyptians knew that asbestos workers often died younger with breathing problems. 

But the ancient Egyptians didn't test their idea with a compliant medical report in an English Court...
    Bah! So called 'advanced' civilisation... 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 1112
    Even if it's perfectly safe to eat, you can guarantee the news media and other bell ends on social media will make sure everyone thinks it is not.
  • manicguitaristmanicguitarist Frets: 440
    I still think it's a worthwhile goal, if we could one day manufacture a meat that looked and tasted like the real thing with the same benefits and no side effects, why wouldn't we do that?
       Personally I don't like to see animals suffer, I don't like the idea of captive animals bred just so I can eat them. And herein lies my own hypocrisy, but we are born into hypocrisy so not an easy thing to shake off.
       I would hope nobody here approves of the extreme battery farming that takes place, yet is it realistic to think we can farm as we did many years ago, with the animals welfare in mind, giving them all the land they should have? 
       I'm quite stuck in my ways, but technology can sometimes have a lot to offer...even for the Luddite.

Cows would pretty much go extinct. 
    Just because you don't like eating real meat - doesn't mean the rest of us have to agree.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Just because you don't like eating real meat - doesn't mean the rest of us have to agree.

Would it matter if cows were extinct? And is this a reason to keep them in unhealthy conditions?
    Of course you don't have to agree, but I believe it's a fairly valid point.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28492

Would they? We still want milk & leather as well. 

Though admittedly that doesn’t apply to pigs. 

But being realistic there are probably way more cows, chickens, pigs and sheep in the world than there otherwise would be if we weren’t farming them.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18207
    tFB Trader

But being realistic there are probably way more cows, chickens, pigs and sheep in the world than there otherwise would be if we weren’t farming them.

There are insane amounts of farm animals putting a massive load on the environment and they don't have happy lives.

If the only farm animals were high welfare organic animals and the battery farmed ones were replaced with factory made protein I don't see that as a bad thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1405
    I feel like this is one of those things that just takes time to change mindsets.  Once they're changed you look back and think what on earth were we doing, how could anyone have objected to this? 

There will be iterations, it will develop and improve.  You can't dismiss it because this particular early iteration isn't good enough. 

Think about this if it were the other way round:  You have available a delicious, nutritious, healthy (in moderation), affordable, low impact product which is grown in a factory.  Now, do you want to begin subjecting thousands upon thousands of animals to a process of rearing for slaughter which causes harm to the environment, to create a product which is almost indistinguishable in taste and texture?  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 1038
    Could always just eat less meat. 
    Yo momma's on the crack rock!
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 416
    Assuming that the requisite safety tests are completed I'd be perfectly happy to eat lab grown meat. Ethically and ecologically I see it as a very good thing indeed.

One question I have yet to get a clear answer to. Can Vegetarians and Vegans eat Lab grown meat?

monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28492

There are insane amounts of farm animals putting a massive load on the environment and they don't have happy lives.

If the only farm animals were high welfare organic animals and the battery farmed ones were replaced with factory made protein I don't see that as a bad thing.
    Oh god I don’t disagree at all, just thinking aloud. 

I assume the demand for leather is nowhere near as big as the demand for beef
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5088

If this nonsense ever comes to pass, how is the food industry (farmers, milk & cheese production etc) going to survive?  Globally there are millions of small food producers, many barely existing as it is, what happens to them?  As an example, let us consider the dairy industry. Every year a cow, the first stage in the process, produces a calf. Most of these calves end up in the meat industry. If meat is produced chemically, then it is all up for rural life, the life that depends on the production and sale of food products like milk, meat etc

This process looks (stinks of) a solution looking for a problem. A problem that does not exist. And a problem that hopefully will never exist. Scientists should look to find solutions to existing problems, instead of wasting their time on a ‘problem’ that doesn’t exist. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Rocker said:

If this nonsense ever comes to pass, how is the food industry (farmers, milk & cheese production etc) going to survive?  Globally there are millions of small food producers, many barely existing as it is, what happens to them?  As an example, let us consider the dairy industry. Every year a cow, the first stage in the process, produces a calf. Most of these calves end up in the meat industry. If meat is produced chemically, then it is all up for rural life, the life that depends on the production and sale of food products like milk, meat etc

This process looks (stinks of) a solution looking for a problem. A problem that does not exist. And a problem that hopefully will never exist. Scientists should look to find solutions to existing problems, instead of wasting their time on a ‘problem’ that doesn’t exist. 
    I would say battery farming is a problem.
    Should we adjust our ethics to suit our socio-economic model or rather reconsider adjusting our socio-economic model to suit our ethics?
    A bit like maintaining war in order to maintain employment within the arms and aerospace industry. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28271
    All food (and drink) will soon be made without any "natural" ingredients.  The days of rearing cattle for beef, acres of polytunnels for veg, and shipping it all half-way around the world are numbered.

The science is pretty incontrovertible, and there is plenty of evidence for it already;

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28271
    GoFish said:

Yes, but there's a difference between new knowledge and extravagant claims. No one was out there claiming that asbestos would prolong life or anything. Though they were prescribing ciggies for kids and claiming 7 up was better than breastmilk for newborns. It was a wild time out there, in the past.

We'll all live pretty much all of our lives in the past.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom