What hill would you die on? Amp edition

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 200
    In a live band situation, the Bass control on your amp should be at/near zero. It might sound bad in isolation but in the mix it'll sound better in 90% of situations. Outdoors a little more bass is probably OK, but indoors, especially in smaller venues, rolling it back with help clean up the mix and make your guitar clearer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74041
    TJT1979 said:
    In a live band situation, the Bass control on your amp should be at/near zero. It might sound bad in isolation but in the mix it'll sound better in 90% of situations. Outdoors a little more bass is probably OK, but indoors, especially in smaller venues, rolling it back with help clean up the mix and make your guitar clearer.
    I’ve always found the exact opposite. I usually run the bass control up high or full, especially for clean sounds, it usually doesn’t really increase the bass but makes the sound much more open and clear than a typical too much mid sound.

Guitar is not “a midrange instrument” unless you want it to be.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1202
    Litterick said:
    Speaker upgrades are just vanity projects.
    This is the spiciest opinion yet
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32356
    Litterick said:
    That seriously depends on what speaker it came with stock. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2998
    Alex2678 said:
    Litterick said:

And most incorrect :)
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 1088
    I love the sound and feel of playing through a fender twin. I love the Vox sound. There are some great amps out there.....

BUT

I play better through a Marshall. 

The adult in me says it's shallow and it is. It's also true. 

My teenage years were spent idolizing people who I considered to be rock gods. That is who I wanted to be and everyone of them was standing in front of a wall of marshalls. 

In my head there in inseparable link between a marshall and being cool. 

I'm mostly not someone you would call a cool dude, but when I look behind me and see that white logo set off against the black and gold liverery I FEEL cool, and that makes me play better. 

Took me  very long time and a lot of amps to finally figure that out.

• KevSKevS Frets: 601
    Spend less on your gigging amp,the audience generally don't know any better,,go for reliable.Also using a pedal platform amp means it can produce various overdrive sounds...Spend more money on a lower wattage nice sounding at home amp with a 10 inch speaker..
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1690
    Alex2678 said:
    Litterick said:
    The steepest hill yet
  • Mesa Rectifiers are really versatile, have tons of midrange and don’t actually have loads of gain, despite what the early 2000’s nu-metal boom might lead you to believe. 
  • gpw5150gpw5150 Frets: 34
    Tweed Mound for me…

why is it a ‘mound’? - kinda chewy and kinda boggy when you get up high.

I think I have missed the point….It is not all about the bias….!