So who is looking forward to the Olympics

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15020
in Off Topic tFB Trader
Whilst I won't be watching the opening ceremony I'm looking forward to the Olympics - I hear that many Parisians are not to fussed about it - Easy to say that athletics, cycling, track or road, rowing, swimming are key events that I like to watch - But equally you can 'buy' in to other events as UK success takes over, or indeed outstanding performances by other key athletes 

Can I watch it all - No - Maybe the 'hi-light' show is a bit late at night around 10-30 - But the BBC web site will offer up many key moments 

Japan - I actually enjoyed the new 'mixed' teams for swimming, triathlon and certain athletic relay events 

Not so fussed about tennis, golf or football - These sports can stand on their own and not sure they should be part of the Olympics, as we can see them, on their own, as and when - I like the idea that Rugby competes as the 7's which is quicker and more exciting for the Olympics rather than slugging out a 15 man version - Maybe Golf, Tennis and football should look likewise and re-invent its own Olympic format - Football could easily be a 5 a side format - The likes of Mbappe do not need to be at the Olympics to make it a big event 

Oh, forgot - Beach volley ball is a must to watch 

Boxing I can take or leave
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12150
    This must be one of, if not THE most least hyped (what's the word?) Olympics in my lifetime.  I knew it was coming but if you had asked me whether I had it in my mind like I did with the Euros.....I would say no, it would have slipped my mind totally.

I had more awareness that Tokyo Olympics during the height of covid than this one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12895
    I'll be watching on the box but I'm glad that (unlike Mrs O) I won't be there in person.  I'm afraid our French neighbours can't organise a large-scale sporting event to save their lives, as amply demonstrated when we attended the RWC last October.  Shambles and then some.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25050
    Very much so. 
    I love it.

I prefer the Winter version overall, but I think it's brilliant. I wish I could have 2 weeks off work to watch it all.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15020
    tFB Trader
    Offset said:
    I'll be watching on the box but I'm glad that (unlike Mrs O) I won't be there in person.  I'm afraid our French neighbours can't organise a large-scale sporting event to save their lives, as amply demonstrated when we attended the RWC last October.  Shambles and then some.
    Yes, I forgot about their organisational skills at such events like the RWC and CL football final - I heard similar stories from a few rugby fans - Maybe add to this, that stories/chatter is indicating that many Parisians are not excited about it at all 

Agree with @RaymondLin 's comments as well about it somehow feels a bit lacklustre at the moment - Not sure why that is so 

I will struggle to watch much day time action - But post 6pm I'm looking forward to as much as I can - I dare say the BBC web site will help with much catch up - But a 7pm, action so far today show would have been handy as well 
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 1021
    edited July 23
    I can't abide it. Normal programming is upended for these events, most of which are simply not spectator sports - people running in circles, rowing toward some finish line, throwing some object, etc. Great if you happen to do these things or if someone in your family does, but for the rest of us? Is it enjoyable to see someone throw a javelin or run in circles or row?

Every four years, the media goes into overdrive to get the public somehow engaged in these activities. Appeals to nationalism are probably the most prominent - so and so is running for England; England has three golds; etc. - but they also try to work us through backstories of the competitors - so and so came to this country as an infant on a raft and now look at her! etc.

I realize that some events do have some intrinsic interest, like badminton or tennis, but a heckuva lot of it has very little spectator value, in my opinion. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6040
    Fairly sure it will be the usual fare for me. The first week will completely pass me by. In the second week l’ll accidentally see something totally random and by the end I’ll be transfixed and the countries greatest expert on all the really bizarre events, like the one where you do rock climbing, knitting and uphill kayaking, all on horseback. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4376
    I’ve been bored by it by an early age but I might see if I can catch the skateboarding and see how the Japanese girl is doing I think she lives in U.K. or London and was in the last one 
    Offset said:
    Yes, I forgot about their organisational skills at such events like the RWC and CL football final - I heard similar stories from a few rugby fans ...
    It's actually worse than bad organisation - it amounts to endangerment of life.  

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15020
    tFB Trader
    And breaking news - Charlotte Dujardin, Britain's joint-most decorated female Olympian, has pulled out of Paris 2024 after a video emerged showing her "making an error of judgement"
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7131
    Havent watched any events from one since I was a kid, and still not interested this time round.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1887
    Yes, I'll be watching. I like seeing different events to the usual fare that normally gets broadcast. I just hope the BBC do a decent job of it this time, but let's face it. They we send more presenters, reporters, commentators and summarisers than athletes most countries send and they chat away and not show the sport. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16550
    I'm generally not that interested but end up getting drawn into some random sport like the skateboarding or BMX. And, obviously, my well documented love of water polo. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24841
    I didn't even know they were on.

Yawn......
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16158
    And breaking news - Charlotte Dujardin, Britain's joint-most decorated female Olympian, has pulled out of Paris 2024 after a video emerged showing her "making an error of judgement"

She missed double tops by a mile whilst playin' darts in her local
    tae be or not tae be
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12582
    I’ll be watching. Agreed, the Winter Olympics are way better but I like most of the athletics, the water sports and the oddball things like BMX and rock climbing. But as Raymond says the whole build up has been curiously quiet this time around. 
    Fuck me.  Now I've seen everything.  Was the barrel that empty?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/clkyjlm97p3o
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Quite difficult to establish what this “error of judgment” is at first look, the news sites are all being quite cagey at the moment about revealing what it actually involves. Seems there may be a video of her hitting a horse during training? 
    ^^ That's my interpretation @boogieman yes.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24204
    edited July 23
    boogieman said:
    Quite difficult to establish what this “error of judgment” is at first look, the news sites are all being quite cagey at the moment about revealing what it actually involves. Seems there may be a video of her hitting a horse during training? 
    And/or one of her students?

"What happened was completely out of character and does not reflect how I train my horses or coach my pupils, however there is no excuse," she said in statement.
    Thanks chaps.