So who is looking forward to the Olympics

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12705
    edited July 24
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    boogieman said:
    And breaking news - Charlotte Dujardin, Britain's joint-most decorated female Olympian, has pulled out of Paris 2024 after a video emerged showing her "making an error of judgement"
    Quite difficult to establish what this “error of judgment” is at first look, the news sites are all being quite cagey at the moment about revealing what it actually involves. Seems there may be a video of her hitting a horse during training? 
    And/or one of her students?

"What happened was completely out of character and does not reflect how I train my horses or coach my pupils, however there is no excuse," she said in statement.
    The 'incident' happened four years ago... so WHY has this video been released only now?  I'm sure it's, um, all a coincidence.
    We said the same. Either someone with a serious grudge or another country not wanting a potential medal winner to compete. If she’s done something horrible then of course she should be dealt with, but the timing is extremely dubious. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15289
    tFB Trader
    HAL9000 said:
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    boogieman said:
    And breaking news - Charlotte Dujardin, Britain's joint-most decorated female Olympian, has pulled out of Paris 2024 after a video emerged showing her "making an error of judgement"
    Quite difficult to establish what this “error of judgment” is at first look, the news sites are all being quite cagey at the moment about revealing what it actually involves. Seems there may be a video of her hitting a horse during training? 
    And/or one of her students?

"What happened was completely out of character and does not reflect how I train my horses or coach my pupils, however there is no excuse," she said in statement.
    The 'incident' happened four years ago... so WHY has this video been released only now?  I'm sure it's, um, all a coincidence.
    Turns out to be excessive use of the whip (24 times in one minute). A bit of googling suggests that since clippy-choppy dancing a natural equine behaviour (no shit Sherlock) using the whip is a standard training tool. I’ll admit I know very little about horsey sports but this does seem to be unnecessarily cruel. If so then hopefully dressage will get banned.

As for why release the video now - I agree it’s not a coincidence. If the person releasing the video was that concerned about the horse’s they should have released it at the time.
    Putting the cruelty to the animal to one side for now - It sounds like Donald Trump will be wanting to meet Charlotte soon for a whip session 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5033
    Main interest for me will be our local hero Keely Hodgkinson in the women's 800 metres. 

Otherwise I can take it or leave it.

• FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 658
    I heard an interesting piece on the radio commenting on the vast cost of hosting the games.
    Whilst it can bring economic development, I do think that it is obscene and bloated.

The counter argument was put that Greece should have a permanent Olympic venue. Why not. 

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Epi LP Custom
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    FastEddie said:
    I heard an interesting piece on the radio commenting on the vast cost of hosting the games.
    Whilst it can bring economic development, I do think that it is obscene and bloated.

The counter argument was put that Greece should have a permanent Olympic venue. Why not. 

Don't know the full cost etc, but have heard such comments many times before - I was in Montreal a few years ago now (around 2000) and locals said they were still paying for the cost of the games from back in 1976

Much smaller as a world wide event, the Common Wealth Games may well have run its course due to high operating/funding/building costs - Victoria/Aus has pulled out - There has been talk of Glasgow stepping in - Without looking into it further, as it stands I don't think 2026 is going to happen - We all know what a mess Brum cancel is in - Not saying it is down to the games alone - And not all funding was required to come from Birmingham - There is talk that it actually made a profit 

The games is now bigger than ever - With more and more sports, countries, competitors taking part 

LA have signed up for 2028 and Brisbane for 2032 
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 1089
    Nitefly said:
    Main interest for me will be our local hero Keely Hodgkinson in the women's 800 metres. 

The issue for those of us that really don't like the Olympics is that we can't 'leave it.' Unless we disconnect all media for the entire duration, it's shoved down our throats 24/7, and things we normally watch are canceled.

Actually, I feel a bit conspiracy-theorist about these kinds of mass razzmatazz human events - the World Cup, Christmas, Valentine's Day, summer travel, etc.. I think they serve as valuable distractions from thought and quiet contemplation. When the pandemic struck, I wondered if the biggest worry for governing bodies was less the actual health impact on populations, and more the impact on their levels of fundamental contentment with their lot in life. Constantly busy, constantly moving, and constantly entertained people have little time for critical thought about their own lives and the conditions which are dealt to them by higher authorities.  

Sorry, that was just a side thought. As you were!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guyinlyonguyinlyon Frets: 363
    "So who is looking forward to the Olympics"

Hahahahahahaha!

Not since the 70s.

The IOC is a pit of corruption, and the amount of money spent on what should be a simple series of athletic competitions is obscene.

The latest "sports" include Break Dancing, 3 x 3 Basketball, and Climbing.

Combat Juggling is pimping for a place in a future Olympiad.

It's a travesty.
    tFB Trader
    See the Charlotte Dujardin video is now on the BBC site - The timing of the release of the video raises lots of interesting questions - That doesn't detract from the whipping of the horse and quite rightly so - Without knowing anything of the 'industry' it is hard to assume this is not an isolated case, be it from Charlotte or other rider/trainers 

The cynic in me says mummy or daddy took the video and knew the full score - But Tabitha has not been selected for team GB and the family are pee'd off, hence the release of an old video
    tFB Trader
    And this is 100% what the olympics is not about https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/cv2gzll8wn5o

Argentina v Morocco and a football game marred by crowd trouble

The Olympics is about peace, togetherness, friendship, competition 

Football doesn't need the Olympics and the Olympics doesn't need this, or football - Drop football at least in this format - Maybe bring in say Five a side and U21 only with no first team players allowed 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13248
    I love the Olympics.

Being entirely honest, when I meet people who actively dislike the Olympics I tend to see it as a bedsheet sized red flag in the "we've got a wrong'un here" stakes. 
  • I'm quite intrigued by how the opening ceremony is going to look. First ever opening ceremony not taking place in a stadium; it's taking place on a route down the Seine, with the athletes all on boats. 

Must be a nightmare logistically, and will have been impossible to have rehearsed properly.

Also a lot of speculation over the performers. Lady Gaga and Celine Dion both been spotted in Paris in recent days, and Aya Nakamura seems nailed on to be in there somewhere.
    tFB Trader
    I'm quite intrigued by how the opening ceremony is going to look. First ever opening ceremony not taking place in a stadium; it's taking place on a route down the Seine, with the athletes all on boats. 

Must be a nightmare logistically, and will have been impossible to have rehearsed properly.

Also a lot of speculation over the performers. Lady Gaga and Celine Dion both been spotted in Paris in recent days, and Aya Nakamura seems nailed on to be in there somewhere.
    Well hope no one falls in the river as that would be in Seine
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13469
    guyinlyon said:
    "So who is looking forward to the Olympics"

Hahahahahahaha!

Not since the 70s.

The IOC is a pit of corruption, and the amount of money spent on what should be a simple series of athletic competitions is obscene.

The latest "sports" include Break Dancing, 3 x 3 Basketball, and Climbing.

Combat Juggling is pimping for a place in a future Olympiad.

It's a travesty.
    I'm afraid I'd have to agree.  That wasn't a boring post BTW :-)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11682
    Timcito said:
    Nitefly said:

The issue for those of us that really don't like the Olympics is that we can't 'leave it.' Unless we disconnect all media for the entire duration, it's shoved down our throats 24/7, and things we normally watch are canceled.

Olympics are ok.  It's Wimboredon that I have a problem with - especially when BBC are showing it on BBC1 and BBC2 at the same time.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16622
    crunchman said:
    Timcito said:
    Nitefly said:

Olympics are ok.  It's Wimboredon that I have a problem with - especially when BBC are showing it on BBC1 and BBC2 at the same time.
    And I've still not spotted any Wombles. 

You would think in this day and age we could have digital channels for Olympics, Wimbledon, Euros,etc, and not suspend all normal programming. Plenty of people who still rely on curated television and have Pointless, The One Show, etc, as part of their routines. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4479
    I’m looking forward to it. I really enjoy the Olympics. 

But with the coverage how it is. It’s not as enjoyable as it used to be. I think It’s pretty fucked up one channel can buy up a majority of the rights to it. But that’s the way of world now. 

I can watch most of the sports on show. I particularly like athletics, as that was my thing when I was a kid.  

Looking forward to the lead climbing. Speed climbing and the style of bouldering they do in comps leaves me cold. 

France is one of my accounts at work. I was asking one of the ladies I deal with if she was excited or not. I remember 2012 as being a pretty happy time in the UK. I loved having the Olympics here. 

She said most people are pissed off with the extra traffic and people. And the police checkpoints all over the place. She did also acknowledge that French people also like to moan a lot :lol: 

They’ve just signed up to host the winter Olympics in 2030 so I guess someone there must be enjoying it. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• GassageGassage Frets: 31487
    Here at moment - fabulous atmosphere at Sevens!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13469
    ^^ Is that Stade De France?
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:

I wish they would do a similar format for the football - a 5 a side format - Love the fact in 7's that Kenya, USA, etc etc can compete with the established teams

We have a Aussie lad, Lachie Miller, who now plays for Leeds Rhinos as full back - ex member of the Aussie R7's from Japan Olympics - Played little RU or RL, but now firmly established at full back for us - Nippy as hell at times 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16622
    Gassage said:

I wish they would do a similar format for the football - a 5 a side format - Love the fact in 7's that Kenya, USA, etc etc can compete with the established teams

The football league had a six a side competition in 1988. Twenty minutes per side in the early stages and 30 in the semis and final. I remember it as quite exciting at the time although the results show that a lot of the matches went to penalty shoot outs. Something that isn't 11 a side 90 minutes for the Olympics might make sense. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.