So who is looking forward to the Olympics

What's Hot
1181920212224»

Comments

• euaneuan Frets: 1923
    Looks like they didn’t ask the woman who sang the US national anthem to cover up her guitar.
    My wife: “Whose that?”
    Me: That’s HER”
    Wife: ”No who is she?”

Playing her branded signature Fender none the less 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24815
    Oh god, Snoop Dogg.  I'm not sure I can take much more of this.  How are they going to end it gracefully?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 2039
    Philly_Q said:
    Oh god, Snoop Dogg.  I'm not sure I can take much more of this.  How are they going to end it gracefully?
    Diamond Dave...hopefully
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh thank god, we're back in Paris.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34261
    99.9% sure Dre, Snoop and Billie were all miming.
  • topdog91topdog91 Frets: 398
    Philly_Q said:
    86 year old mum who is somewhat torn because the French have more style (not difficult) but the Americans are more fun...

"This flame is boring, bring back Dr. Dre"

I'm proud.
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
    octatonic said:
    Um, everyone has been miming, all night (and day).
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
    topdog91 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    86 year old mum who is somewhat torn because the French have more style (not difficult) but the Americans are more fun...

"This flame is boring, bring back Dr. Dre"

I'm proud.
    Debatable.  Very debatable.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6125
    topdog91 said:
    octatonic said:
    Except the massive orchestra and choir that is. Real musicians play live 
    dazzajl said:
    topdog91 said:
    octatonic said:
    You don't think that at a minimum they were playing to a track? 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31488
    Great to see Tom Cruise ripping off Daniel Craig and continuing his career mission of delivering tacky facsimiles of Bond movies.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• gubblegubble Frets: 1799
    I'm shocked they didn't roll out Vanessa Paradis for something.

Looking back on the 'handover' section last night it was totally crackers. Brilliant though - thought it was the best bit by far.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12705
    dazzajl said:
    topdog91 said:
    octatonic said:
    I’m not even sure about the orchestra… there didn’t seem an awful lot of mics around… I could only see two at the front. Couldn’t work out what was going on in the opening sequence either…. the bit where Leon Marchand was getting the Davey Lamp. The backing choir all had IEMs but I couldn’t see any mics? 

Billy Eilish was definitely miming.. her mouth was nowhere near the mic for most of her song. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15289
    tFB Trader
    I love the Olympics - Each have their own special moments - Tears off happiness and despair - Moments we'll see again and again - Triumph and failings - Athletes competing and bonding  - But i can't stand the closing ceremonies - I'm not a fan of opening ceremonies - So I have not seen anything other than a 5 min BBC best of clip  

The only good bit of a closing ceremony, IMO, is the athletes bonding, mixing, laughing, smiling, having fun and turning it in to a joyous party - The rest is pointless trimmings 
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6846
    The closing ceremony was really dull. I also thought it was poor that the American acts were in America, not actually in the stadium in Paris. 

I also thought it was poor that the American acts were in America, not actually in the stadium in Paris. 
    Most of them probably don't have passports.

(Clearly that is not true.)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12705
    The idea was ok, bit like a Cirque de Soleil piece, but it was stretched out far too long. Likewise the Phoenix music section was too long and could’ve been cut down. Leon Marchand looked so out of place and quite embarrassed throughout. 

Tom Cruise was the best bit IMO, although he looks like he’s entirely made of plastic nowadays. He’s still not as ridiculous looking as Anthony Kiedis though. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6125
    I really enjoyed the whole games from first drop
    to last. I thought the idea of getting the opening ceremony out of a stadium and against the backdrop of one of the most beautiful cities was inspired. 

The venues were all incredible and while it’s the sports that count, I think they were all elevated by the class and elegance surrounding them. 

The closing did feel too long but the joy of the teams and the golden alien dance were both amazing spectacles. 

Tom C and the whole Double O Three and a Half stunt section did little for me other than highlight how very classy the French have been throughout. 

Not looking forward to LA very much at all. Yet…

As for the orchestra, I do still that was a live performance. An orchestra that size makes a LOT of noise