So who is looking forward to the Olympics

What's Hot

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5033
    ewal said:
    Jeez the way the BBC are talking up 'Keeley'!!! Someone else win please, just to shut them up!
    I was quite worried that they were going to jinx it for her!  :o

I had to laugh when they cut to the Leigh Harriers Club bar (Keely's home club), only to discover they were watching a different channel - serves them right for making such a balls-up of the coverage.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13248
    stufisher said:
    I'm a lifelong fan of athletics and I still maintain that auntie Beeb has the most appropriate commentators ... BUT the way the Beeb hypes-up a Brit is all wrong.
    Coupled with the psycho-babble studio stuff and the multi-channel changes, I'm well pissed off with the whole BBC format right now.

Coleman, Pickering, Storey, Dickinson defined the standard for athletics commentary and that's all we need now.
    The studio stuff is because they don't have the broadcast rights to show more sport so have to fill the time.

I'd happily pay a few extra quid on the licence fee to have it all on the beeb but I suspect I'm in a minority on that one. Too many philistines complain about it as is. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2755
    Andrew Cotter is a bit more measured and mindful in his commentary than Steve Cram. But then Steve is handed the mic whenever there's a peak TeamGB hype moment.

I think the TeamGB obsession gets worse every games - it all started to go wrong when Claire Balding took over as one of the main presenters.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15289
    tFB Trader
    Keely is certainly going to be the poster girl for GB athletics for sometime - Throw in some nice advertising/promotional contracts and she will be making some big money as well

Potential to be around for LA + Brisbane
    tFB Trader
    Superb from Keely. Thoroughly deserved and ultimately dominant after she initially looked a tad more nervous than I've seen her before. Mondo Duplantis, though. Bloody hell, he's a machine.
    agree 
  • euaneuan Frets: 1923
    stufisher said:
    I'm a lifelong fan of athletics and I still maintain that auntie Beeb has the most appropriate commentators ... BUT the way the Beeb hypes-up a Brit is all wrong.
    Coupled with the psycho-babble studio stuff and the multi-channel changes, I'm well pissed off with the whole BBC format right now.

Coleman, Pickering, Storey, Dickinson defined the standard for athletics commentary and that's all we need now.
    The studio stuff is because they don't have the broadcast rights to show more sport so have to fill the time.

I'd happily pay a few extra quid on the licence fee to have it all on the beeb but I suspect I'm in a minority on that one. Too many philistines complain about it as is. 
    The broadcast rights is down to the IOC getting too greedy and signed a deal with Discovery for the sole broadcasting rights up to 2026. Errors of ways have been seen and the EBU and Warners submitted a joint deal. EBU has the free to air rights until 2032 from 2026 that should mean the BBC coverage should return to the more familiar broadcas style. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13470
    stufisher said:
    ...coupled with the psycho-babble studio stuff and the multi-channel changes, I'm well pissed off with the whole BBC format right now.
    Yeah - the psycho-babble seems to fulfil two functions: to add mystique where none exists; and to fill air-time between events.  I really can't fathom the flip-flopping between Beeb 1 and Beeb 2 however.  Why not just stick it on, say, BBC 3 which no-one watches in any case?

I'm willing to overlook these gripes however because... Denise Lewis :-)

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2974
    The flipping channels wouldn’t be so bad if they had a bloomin timetable of what’s on and when !

And they don’t need the fill, there is always stuff on even if they just have 2 channels
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 939
    Just load the Paris 2024 app and you can see everything about everything:

https://olympics.com/en/paris-2024/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    So, predictions for tonight ...

Men's 1500m
    Ingebrigtsen leads out and pushes pace to string out the field and remove threat of being overtaken.

Josh sticks close to Ingebrigtsen no matter how fast and how painful.

Cheruyiot is in the mix as they enter the final straight but with 20m to go Josh hits the front and crosses the line for gold.

Women's 200m
    Gabby Thomas is 2nd as they exit the bend but transitions perfectly into the straight and wins by c.2m in 21.70sec

Julien Alfred gets silver in c.21.90sec

Dina runs a perfect but fades from 1st to 3rd for a bronze medal in c.21.95sec

Darryl finishes 4th in a PB.

BTW ... Keely was sublime last night but Mondo is other worldly ... the perfect Olympic moment!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24815
    @stufisher bold predictions, I wouldn't dare.
    My predictions for tonight :)

another bottle of red wine openend

moaning at some old-man stuff
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It’s started 
    3rd time they are showing the Josh Kerr clip :(

the last one was 10 minutes ago!!
    Oh my bloody god, and they are showing Hodgkinson again :( !!!  I used to like her and it’s not her fault . I wish she’d got a silver now
    tFB Trader
    Cracking 1500M and maybe a surprise winner and no medal for Ingebrigtsen
  • ewalewal Frets: 2755
    Well done to the US guy for tearing up the script.
    tFB Trader
    I much prefer watching any race of 400m and more, compared to 100 or 200

I can enjoy the whole of a good 5k or 10k race

That 1500 was excellent to watch 
    Great race ... happy for Josh ... and hugely surprised at Ingebrigtsen post-race interview ... honest, frank and analytical ... I haven't lost all respect for him :+1: 
    Well ladies 200m was an excellent race and then2 British ladies were excellent, just goes to show you can be classy, very good but not feted by the BBC. Well done to them both 
    tFB Trader
    stufisher said:
    Great race ... happy for Josh ... and hugely surprised at Ingebrigtsen post-race interview ... honest, frank and analytical ... I haven't lost all respect for him :+1: 
    agree - it thru' me a bit as well but credit to him