So who is looking forward to the Olympics

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15289
    edited August 3 tFB Trader
    8 men and a boat and 1 gold medal - excellent - Sorry I should say 8 men and 1 cox 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24815
    goldtop said:
    CNN choosing to massage the medal table just a bit...

They're basically North Korea, aren't they?  I don't know if this is still true in these days of infinite channels, but a friend of mine who visits the US every year says that TV coverage of the Olympics in the US is minimal, and almost entirely focused on their own athletes.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1405
    They should try doing it per capita.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25278
    Those hydrofoil wind surfing rigs are amazing! 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16622

Philly_Q said:
    goldtop said:

They're basically North Korea, aren't they?  I don't know if this is still true in these days of infinite channels, but a friend of mine who visits the US every year says that TV coverage of the Olympics in the US is minimal, and almost entirely focused on their own athletes.

I was listening to someone in the USA talking about watching coverage and it was almost the opposite of what the BBC had been highlighting. Basketball, hockey and fencing for example whereas the BBC seems to think we are all obsessed with gymnastics, rowing and swimming. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    I was listening to someone in the USA talking about watching coverage and it was almost the opposite of what the BBC had been highlighting. Basketball, hockey and fencing for example whereas the BBC seems to think we are all obsessed with gymnastics, rowing and swimming. 
    Well, given a direct choice I would go with the BBC's programme there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2974
    I love the quote from todays Times : Big Brother worked out 20 years ago that it wasn’t good Tv to have 3 people constantly talking by the sides of a swimming pool ! ;)

• TimcitoTimcito Frets: 1089
    edited August 3

Philly_Q said:
    goldtop said:

Maybe the US is working on the principle that the Olympics is largely made up of non-spectator sports that hardly anybody  watches under normal circumstances, so they might as well try and hook people through national pride and recognizable US sports.

I have little idea what they are showing over here. Neither of those appeals works for me.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2134
    I tried one in Portland Harbour last year and was blown away after a long time windsurfing kitesurfing and lately wingfoiling. 
    I prefer the wingfoil but the iqfoil was so stable and powerful upwind. Shame about the price.

This sums up the feeling:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Timcito said:

Philly_Q said:
    goldtop said:

Maybe the US is working on the principle that the Olympics is largely made up of non-spectator sports that hardly anybody  watches under normal circumstances, so they might as well try and hook people through national pride and recognizable US sports.

I have little idea what they are showing over here. Neither of those appeals works for me.
    The channels have to make choices somewhere, we tend to get sports with a recognisable British interest (Andy Murray in the tennis for example) so I’m sure other countries do similar. Although the first Team GB gold was in shooting and the BBC had given that very little coverage (to be fair a particularly naff spectator sport). We’ve had two nights of BMX racing on prime time television which I think was a mix of ‘this makes quite good TV’ and ‘a Brit might get a gold.’ 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2974
    Brio said:
    I tried one in Portland Harbour last year and was blown away after a long time windsurfing kitesurfing and lately wingfoiling. 
    I prefer the wingfoil but the iqfoil was so stable and powerful upwind. Shame about the price.

This sums up the feeling:

Nice video!
    lake Garda between Limone and Macesine .
    just imagine if there are waves too !
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6477
    Carl Lewis doesn’t look happy. 

Balloon was spectacular. 

Philly_Q said:
    Fucking hell, that grand piano will be ruined.

Shit, is that Celine Dion?
    Poor piano. Yes Céline. She has health issues that mean she doesn’t normally sing or perform anymore so amazing really.
    Seems that she wasn't singing live.

^^  Oh good, lady-haired British guitarist Fil from Wings of Pegasus to the rescue....
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4562
    Brio said:
    I've not seen much of the Olympics. Don't have a telly and haven't had one for 40years. Did however see a bit today. The gb trampoline lass and the Chinese badminton duo and Simone Biles floor routine  - was that last night?
    Not a mad fan of any of the disciplines but the joy of seeing folk at the peak of what can be done always really fills me with delight.

Edit: just realised that "not had a telly for 40 years" is my "I'm a vegan/Ironman" moment...
    Same here ,I’ve no telly so the only bits I’ve seen is Sky brown on YouTube skateboarding 
    goldtop said:
    Carl Lewis doesn’t look happy. 

Balloon was spectacular. 

Philly_Q said:
    Fucking hell, that grand piano will be ruined.

Shit, is that Celine Dion?
    Poor piano. Yes Céline. She has health issues that mean she doesn’t normally sing or perform anymore so amazing really.
    Seems that she wasn't singing live.

Philly_Q said:
    ^^  Oh good, lady-haired British guitarist Fil from Wings of Pegasus to the rescue....
    He keeps coming up on my YouTube feed and I don’t really want to feed the algorithm and watch it. But I might…oh it’s nearly 25 minutes long FFS. I’m happy to stay with my thought that Céline just overcame the odds bless her. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6477
    ^ She did, indeed, turn up. Which is amazing given her condition.
    Philly_Q said:
    He keeps coming up on my YouTube feed and I don’t really want to feed the algorithm and watch it. But I might…oh it’s nearly 25 minutes long FFS. I’m happy to stay with my thought that Céline just overcame the odds bless her. 
    He was tolerable when he only did reaction videos.  Now that he's got his music-analysis software or whatever the fuck it is, he can get in the bin.  It's just boring.

Well done Céline for being there against the odds, no matter what help she had.
    edited August 3
    Femke Bol is fucking amazing, by the way.  I love the mixed relays, in athletics and swimming.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13248
    Philly_Q said:
    Femke Bol is fucking amazing, by the way.  I love the mixed relays, in athletics and swimming.
    She's something else. Incredible run. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25090
    Hold on a minute...   I've just spotted the "PARiS 2024" logo....  With a lower case i.  WTF is that about??
    Can't these bloody French spell??
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."