So who is looking forward to the Olympics

What's Hot

Comments

• yockyyocky Frets: 840
    Imagine being that poor woman. She's been approved to fight, they have the fight but the competitor can't take the beating, gives up, and then all the weekend warrior ebay biologists get it completely wrong and accuse her of being trans, being a man, none of which are true and then Lisa Nandy gets involved. What does it have to do with her anyway? And now the competitor is apologising. 

When did the facts and the truth stop being important? When did knowing that you don't know what you're talking about stop being a thing?

I really think she's been put through the ringer for no reason. I'd say she deserves a medal just for going through this ordeal. 
    Absolutely, but I feel sorry for her opponent too. Looks for all the world like she's been psyched out by all the drama, going into the ring having been convinced she's up against someone against whom she has no chance, which judging by Khelif's record just wasn't the case.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10543
    edited August 2
    yocky said:
    Imagine being that poor woman. She's been approved to fight, they have the fight but the competitor can't take the beating, gives up, and then all the weekend warrior ebay biologists get it completely wrong and accuse her of being trans, being a man, none of which are true and then Lisa Nandy gets involved. What does it have to do with her anyway? And now the competitor is apologising. 

When did the facts and the truth stop being important? When did knowing that you don't know what you're talking about stop being a thing?

I really think she's been put through the ringer for no reason. I'd say she deserves a medal just for going through this ordeal. 
    Absolutely, but I feel sorry for her opponent too. Looks for all the world like she's been psyched out by all the drama, going into the ring having been convinced she's up against someone against whom she has no chance, which judging by Khelif's record just wasn't the case.
    Yea it seems like she was beat before she got in the ring.

Interestingly, no one said anything when Tyson did the same and battered his unworthy opponents within 90 seconds. How much natural testosterone do you think he had when he first became WC? 
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2139
    edited August 2
    I've not seen much of the Olympics. Don't have a telly and haven't had one for 40years. Did however see a bit today. The gb trampoline lass and the Chinese badminton duo and Simone Biles floor routine  - was that last night?
    Not a mad fan of any of the disciplines but the joy of seeing folk at the peak of what can be done always really fills me with delight.

Edit: just realised that "not had a telly for 40 years" is my "I'm a vegan/Ironman" moment...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16622
    Philly_Q said:
    Well done @guitars4you for regularly getting the thread back on track. 
    Thanks - I thought it might be worth a try - I was also debating about saying that the gold medal winners of the rowing and trampoline are Women 
    I am starting to catch up on the trampolining (is this the last time it is at the Olympics or am I confusing it with something else?) although like many of these events I don't really know what's going on. I had a colleague who’s wife had been the sort of Bryony of her day and apparently their back garden had been completely enclosed so she could have a full sized all weather trampoline in there. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2989
    Have they had the breakdancing yet?  A true "sport".  I reckon that at the next Olympics, they will introduce speed graffiti 

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20310
    Philly_Q said:
    Well done @guitars4you for regularly getting the thread back on track. 
    Thanks - I thought it might be worth a try - I was also debating about saying that the gold medal winners of the rowing and trampoline are Women 
    I am starting to catch up on the trampolining (is this the last time it is at the Olympics or am I confusing it with something else?) although like many of these events I don't really know what's going on. I had a colleague who’s wife had been the sort of Bryony of her day and apparently their back garden had been completely enclosed so she could have a full sized all weather trampoline in there. 
    Yep, that worked out really well during the winter storms, didn't it...?

Trampoline on train track
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1801
    Léon Marchand.

Truly spectacular!

Amazing race altogether!
  • ewalewal Frets: 2755
    Like how chilled Beth Schriever was after the BMX final. Very cool.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7377

Amazing race altogether!
    AMAZING RACE!
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2989
    ewal said:
    Agree.  After watching how she dominated the heats you could anticipate her being disappointed, but none of it - just enjoying the moment.  Loved seeing the 3 french chaps come 1,2 and 3.  Great celebration by them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 671
    Re. the boxing controversy, I see that the Taiwanese fighter’s next bout is against the Bulgarian she beat before being disqualified at the World Champs. Bet that will draw a big TV audience in Bulgaria now. What a mess.
  • PhiltheguitarPhiltheguitar Frets: 222
    Well, it appears that I may have been duped by sensationalist headlines re the Algerian boxer. However, my position has been and will always be that biological men must be kept out of biological womens' sport.
    An open category, or one specifically for trans individuals being the only compromise that seems fair to me. 

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6445
    BBC Athletics coverage needs sorting out - sounds like they're in a rowdy pub having to shout to be heard !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15289
    tFB Trader
    ewal said:
    Agree.  After watching how she dominated the heats you could anticipate her being disappointed, but none of it - just enjoying the moment.  Loved seeing the 3 french chaps come 1,2 and 3.  Great celebration by them.
    100% agree - buying into the whole spirit of been there
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6477
    CNN choosing to massage the medal table just a bit...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7541
    edited August 3
    I am delighted to see (edit) people discussing whether it's the tackle you're packing, the hormones or the chromosomes that define your sex. 

It's so beautiful to see. An accidental acknowledgement that gender may not be binary in humans (as it isn't in... Well, just about any other organism) from those who have actively campaigned that it is... An unexpected bonus of these Olympics. I have no opinion on this specific case, but seeing people argue over what makes someone "male" is quite interesting. I recall the Williams sisters being called into question on occasion in the past as well. 

Anyway, the BMX was absolutely incredible! Never watched it before, but that was something else. Looking forward to watching more Olympics later. 
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 671
    Well, it appears that I may have been duped by sensationalist headlines re the Algerian boxer. However, my position has been and will always be that biological men must be kept out of biological womens' sport.
    An open category, or one specifically for trans individuals being the only compromise that seems fair to me. 
    Problem is that even if that was acceptable to all the people concerned, the pool of athletes would be tiny.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15289
    tFB Trader
    See France and Argentina kept the Olympic ideology alive last night with nice hand shakes after the game 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2974
    Well maybe Argentina shouldn’t have done what they did, and then making it explicitly against France.  I’m not too surprised .  I was surprised that Chelsea don’t care which may have something to do with because they paid >£100M for him?