Comments

• PhiltheguitarPhiltheguitar Frets: 222
    sev112 said:
    I must admit it would help to clarify
    Clarify what? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13471
    Offset said:
    Nice to see that female abuse is now an Olympic sport. How progressive. How stunning and brave. 
    You've lost me, sorry.  Please expand...
    What don't you understand?
    EDIT - My comment was relating to the boxing
    What don't I understand?  Female abuse being an Olympic sport.  It's a wee bit of a stretch I must say.  A regulatory nightmare for sure as pointed out earlier.  But abuse?
    Offset said:
    Offset said:
    Nice to see that female abuse is now an Olympic sport. How progressive. How stunning and brave. 
    What don't I understand?  Female abuse being an Olympic sport.  It's a wee bit of a stretch I must say.  A regulatory nightmare for sure as pointed out earlier.  But abuse?
    Making women go up against men in the ring is barbaric. End of. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1731
    Offset said:
    Offset said:
    agreed, its a terrible decision. 
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7258
    Iamnobody said:
    mrkb said:
    Is it any different to watching a male hit a male or a female hit a female?
    Yes, it absolutely is. 
    Massively, outside heavyweight, we don’t let boxers fight each other when there’s a disparity of weight by a few pounds. 

Allowing males to fight females is simply dangerous and wrong even at the same weight class. 

Whether the world likes it or not, males have greater natural power and strength than females.
    All boxing is dangerous, the tragedy of Michael Watson shows that.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    Iamnobody said:
    mrkb said:
    Yes, it absolutely is. 
    Massively, outside heavyweight, we don’t let boxers fight each other when there’s a disparity of weight by a few pounds. 

Allowing males to fight females is simply dangerous and wrong even at the same weight class. 

Whether the world likes it or not, males have greater natural power and strength than females.
    why do you think a man fighting a woman is the same as man vs man?
    Dont worry, be silly.
    mrkb said:
    Iamnobody said:
    mrkb said:
    Yes, it absolutely is. 

Yes, it is dangerous. What's your point? 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7258
    swiller said:
    mrkb said:
    Iamnobody said:
    mrkb said:
    Yes, it absolutely is. 

Theyre all setting out to try to knock each other out - so its wrong no matter whos punching who. Why do you think its acceptable?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    swiller said:
    mrkb said:
    Iamnobody said:
    mrkb said:
    Yes, it absolutely is. 

Theyre all setting out to try to knock each other out - so its wrong no matter whos punching who. Why do you think its acceptable?
    Sorry u r missing the point. consent of each fighter? on a fair level playing field?, including weight, sex and thus chance of winning.  The vast majority of the boxing community see it as a scandal. 
    Dont worry, be silly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7032
    mrkb said:
    Iamnobody said:
    mrkb said:
    Yes, it absolutely is. 

It is a dangerous sport. Lots of sports are. Thankfully boxing is usually fully regulated to ensure that the majority of bouts see evenly matched competitors. 

Not sure why you can’t see this. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16622
    Had the Olympic coverage on BBC1 and they did a short VT about the boxing controversy. I don’t like boxing, I don’t watch it. But the argument was that if there are two people in the ring and one is significantly stronger than the other then the chances of the weaker boxer getting seriously hurt are very high. 
    Found the BMX racing heats on iPlayer. As always it does look like people who have borrowed their kid’s bikes but then some scarey arse riding commences and it’s all quite exciting. So far it seems to be coming down to who is the fastest Frenchman. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    good luck michelle tyson in the womens heavyweight final this evening.

Dont worry, be silly.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13471
    Offset said:
    Offset said:
    But she isn't a man FFS.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3401
    The boxing was a very very hard 26 seconds to watch.  It was thankfully nowhere near as brutal as the MMA fight between a trans women and a women - be warned if you YouTube this fight there's a reason why I'm not posting it, it is beyond utter brutality and frankly is a smack to the face of every anti-violence towards women policy there has ever been.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @Offset I thought they were a 'trans woman'? 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1405
    Such a minefield to talk to anyone about this, but it will be the end of female participation in any sports unless a sub category is created which protects them.   

There's a bizarre reluctance to accept that being born a male would give a physical advantage over a female.  It's the Serena Williams-John McEnroe thing again and the naivety and stupidity which his comments faced has been exploited by some sportspeople.

Aware that this isn't the exact case here but with two young daughters I would like it if they had a world of sport that was taken seriously.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1788
    edited August 1
    Such a minefield to talk to anyone about this, but it will be the end of female participation in any sports unless a sub category is created which protects them.   

There's a bizarre reluctance to accept that being born a male would give a physical advantage over a female.  It's the Serena Williams-John McEnroe thing again and the naivety and stupidity which his comments faced has been exploited by some sportspeople.

Aware that this isn't the exact case here but with two young daughters I would like it if they had a world of sport that was taken seriously.
    Wis'd.
    Imagine if all the female participants stood up together and walked away from this particular tournament. 
    Then they'd be fucked and reforms would have to be made. Force their hand. 

I usually enjoy the Olympics but I've not watched any of it this time around. I draw the line at a convicted paedophile being given carte blanche to participate. 

It's just plain wrong.
    lines have to be drawn imo. 

We live in a crazy world, people are so scared nowadays to say the wrong thing for fear of offending. Myself included.
    I'm working on that. Spiced rum helps :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13248
    So much disinformation doing the rounds today.

Khelif isn't trans. 

Khelif wasn't "born a man" 

Khelif has lost fights to at least nine different women. 

Khelif does not have a reputation for being a hard hitting boxer. 

As one boxing account put it earlier "imagine being so much technically better than your opponent that you start a global trans panic". 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13248
    Oh, and a reminder that Khelif represents the famously liberal country of *checks notes* Algeria, which doesn't recognise gender transition. 

The more I look into this, the more the whole thing stinks of anti-trans bigotry. 

A fairly mediocre boxer, with a fairly mediocre record, hits an opponent who was defending abysmally and the whole fucking world loses their minds.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 1089
    Offset said: 
    But she isn't a man FFS.
    Must be something in that water again ...