So who is looking forward to the Olympics

What's Hot

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2973
    I thought (well mrs sev112 spotted it first) our Silver medal swimmer actually touched the wall before the Gold Medal winner, video seemed to then show this clearly.  It’s a race not a strengt contest as to how hard you can push a plastic square after 2 minutes of lactic busting nearly world record energy effort.  I can understand in the 70s and 80s the technology being such that you have to push it hard but we’ve had iPhones for years now such that you can almost blow on a pressure pad and it responds.  How on earth  can this be the case.  mark Foster was talking about this but why it needs to be this way.  Again if the BBC had some knowledgable people to get view on it would be helpful, but no, let’s talk about Adam Peaty (nice guy again) again :)

I really liked the American (lady) Referee at the Euros - she was excellent at telling the viewers why the decisions were made, perhaps she was on ITV because people like that would be excellent, again just like having a referee judge or just Ed Leigh (another nice bloke) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13469
    Offset said:
    FFS.  Watching the the air pistol competition between Turkey and Serbia.  The BBC commentators are pronouncing Turkey as 'Turkee-ay', presumably as the Turks would (if we have any Turkish forumites, please chip in).  WTAF?  The commentators aren't Turkish nor are they broadcasting to a Turkish audience.

Why isn't he referring to Paris as 'Paree' just to be consistent?!  

Fucking nonsense.  Good old Beeb.

It became recognised as Turkiye in 2021 and the pronunciation changed with that. The English speaking world has been pronouncing it differently for the last three years, nothing to do with the BBC. 
    Well that is news to me but thanks for the update.  I've never heard Turkey pronounced that way before, even on the Beeb as far as I can recollect.

I assumed it was simply the BBC being... the BBC :-)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16622
    Offset said:
    Offset said:
    FFS.  Watching the the air pistol competition between Turkey and Serbia.  The BBC commentators are pronouncing Turkey as 'Turkee-ay', presumably as the Turks would (if we have any Turkish forumites, please chip in).  WTAF?  The commentators aren't Turkish nor are they broadcasting to a Turkish audience.

Why isn't he referring to Paris as 'Paree' just to be consistent?!  

Fucking nonsense.  Good old Beeb.

It became recognised as Turkiye in 2021 and the pronunciation changed with that. The English speaking world has been pronouncing it differently for the last three years, nothing to do with the BBC. 
    Well that is news to me but thanks for the update.  I've never heard Turkey pronounced that way before, even on the Beeb as far as I can recollect.

I assumed it was simply the BBC being... the BBC :-)
    Although I have been enjoying The Turkish Detective on the BBC and not The Turkiyesh Detective. 
    It’s UN resolution stuff that I don’t really understand but in official language it hasn’t been Turkey for three years. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1137
    yocky said:
    God tier stuff by PIdcock, just after the commentator said he'd run out of overtaking opportunities.

Have a listen to the French commentary team if you can find it on YT. Did they not like that!
    yocky said:
    God tier stuff by PIdcock, just after the commentator said he'd run out of overtaking opportunities.

Have a listen to the French commentary team if you can find it on YT. Did they not like that!
    The French crowd were booing him Pidcock. I suppose it's reassuring that it's not just the British who do wanky things like that although maybe not something you might expect at the Olympics. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15289
    tFB Trader
    yocky said:

The French crowd were booing him Pidcock. I suppose it's reassuring that it's not just the British who do wanky things like that although maybe not something you might expect at the Olympics. 
    I heard that - Tom should remind them that Cav, Brad, Froome, Gee, The Yate's Brothers and Chris Broadman all liked to win in France on a regular basis - So on yer bike Frog face - It's Tom's birthday today as well - 25 - So maybe another 2 Olympics in him 

If the French lad was as good as they think he is/was, he'd have expanded the gap and not wait until Tom, on a mission, caught him up - He had the chance to finish it of
    I think I would be proud to be supporting a cyclist who gives someone a minute advantage (it wasn’t just the 40:sec he was off the bike in the maintenance zone, he had to slow down and stop and then pedal slowly to get there) and still lose!

the overtake was excellent, saw the two different routes , powered up after an hour of cycling, and 30 mins of trying to catch everyone up, and went for it, didn’t cut him off as the two bikes were side by side.  Wonderful to watch whether one was British of not. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    sev112 said:
    I think I would be proud to be supporting a cyclist who gives someone a minute advantage (it wasn’t just the 40:sec he was off the bike in the maintenance zone, he had to slow down and stop and then pedal slowly to get there) and still lose!

the overtake was excellent, saw the two different routes , powered up after an hour of cycling, and 30 mins of trying to catch everyone up, and went for it, didn’t cut him off as the two bikes were side by side.  Wonderful to watch whether one was British of not. 
    Tom had the inside line as well - I wonder if that move was off the cuff, or if he had picked up on it after a couple of laps and left it in the memory bank  - Great move, even if a bit it was from the Red Bull library - He 100% deserved it 
    They have plenty of previous.  Six Nations, Fra v Eng at the SDF a few years back - every time Farrell was about to kick, the crowd whistled, booed and cat-called.  Bloody disgraceful, and we turned around to the people behind us on more than one occasion and told them so to their faces.  Made fuck-all difference, of course.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12705
    yocky said:
    Good old BBC. Channel change during the Mountain biking, use the opportunity to show a few trailers for other stuff, have Hazel Irvine blether on about some bollocks, rejoin having missed the main drama in an hour long event they otherwise show the whole of. 
    Yup, it’s crap, but the tv coverage has been pretty shit right through. The camera work is embarrassingly amateur : for instance I’ve just watched a three minute wobbly cam shot of the back of Simone Biles’ neck. Fascinating. It’s like they’ve just let umpteen sports toggers jostle for position with the official tv coverage cameras. The number of times they’ve cut away at crucial moments is laughable. I presume it’s a common feed and the Beeb just have to suck up what’s given to them? 
    boogieman said:
    yocky said:
    Good old BBC. Channel change during the Mountain biking, use the opportunity to show a few trailers for other stuff, have Hazel Irvine blether on about some bollocks, rejoin having missed the main drama in an hour long event they otherwise show the whole of. 
    Yup, it’s crap, but the tv coverage has been pretty shit right through. The camera work is embarrassingly amateur : for instance I’ve just watched a three minute wobbly cam shot of the back of Simone Biles’ neck. Fascinating. It’s like they’ve just let umpteen sports toggers jostle for position with the official tv coverage cameras. The number of times they’ve cut away at crucial moments is laughable. I presume it’s a common feed and the Beeb just have to suck up what’s given to them? 
    From what they’ve said yes. 
    edited July 30 tFB Trader
    Well done team GB 
    4 x 200m relay

Track or pool, a GB relay team has never retained a gold medal before

Looking forward to the mixed relays later
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5130
    Quite a few years ago, as a subsciber to Sebastian Keep's YT channel, I saw a young Geordie chap do a few nice tricks. Thought he'd do OK as a BMX-er, and seemed like a good lad.
    Kieran Reilly had 10 subs on his channel when I subscribed.
    European and World Champion, and hopefully tomorrow, Olympic Champion!
    As they say oop North, Howay the Lad!!!

Kieran Reilly Great Britain

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2132
    I don't have a telly but the bits of coverage I've seen have been pretty poor for the world's greatest sporting event.
    Opening ceremony seemed laughable to me. Gave up halfway through the boat parade.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5033
    I'm looking forward to the Gravy Wrestling: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c903w2g28xzo

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12767
    Pretty awkward listening to the gymnastics commentary, I think Matt Baker ejaculated while Simone biles was competing.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • yockyyocky Frets: 840
    What fantastic sportsmanship from that New Zealand triathlete. Just got pipped for the gold medal by Yee and his first response is to throw his arms round the Brit and smile about it.

Amazing race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Great coverage again “well Yee looks like he is being overtaken by the 3rd place Frenchman … oh, he’s now winning !”
    tFB Trader
    yocky said:
    What fantastic sportsmanship from that New Zealand triathlete. Just got pipped for the gold medal by Yee and his first response is to throw his arms round the Brit and smile about it.

Amazing race.
    Only seen the 6 mins hi-lights on the BBC player - But great win - Fingers crossed it will bode well for the mixed relay race as well as Potter came 3rd - But the French have 2/3 key players in there as well
    Mrs O pinged me this earlier today from her vantage point at the bottom of the Champs-Elysees.  Alex Yee on his way to gold!

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom