So who is looking forward to the Olympics

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31488
    Offset said:
    swiller said:

Angela Carini is forced to box against a biological male. She quits after just 45 seconds, and cries hysterically as her opponent is declared the winner.
    That is not what I've read.  Khelif has previously tested for high levels of testosterone which isn't the same thing.  The IOC have explicitly said this is '...not a transgender issue'. 
    Khelif also has XY Chromosomes. 

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13470
    Gassage said:
    Offset said:
    swiller said:

Angela Carini is forced to box against a biological male. She quits after just 45 seconds, and cries hysterically as her opponent is declared the winner.
    That is not what I've read.  Khelif has previously tested for high levels of testosterone which isn't the same thing.  The IOC have explicitly said this is '...not a transgender issue'. 
    That's very difficult.  So similar situation to Caster Semanya I guess.  The point is the IOC has cleared Khelif to compete so I'm not too sure where that leaves everyone.  As Bunce has said, it's "an absolute disaster" whichever way you cut it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1731
    Gassage said:
    Offset said:
    swiller said:

yup, thats right gassage. They failed a gender elegibility test which tested xy as well as testosterone.
    Perhaps biological male not best description, but vast majority of sensible people in the sport agree that it is a low point for female sports.

Dont worry, be silly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1137
    Offset said:
    Offset said:
    FFS.  Watching the the air pistol competition between Turkey and Serbia.  The BBC commentators are pronouncing Turkey as 'Turkee-ay', presumably as the Turks would (if we have any Turkish forumites, please chip in).  WTAF?  The commentators aren't Turkish nor are they broadcasting to a Turkish audience.

Why isn't he referring to Paris as 'Paree' just to be consistent?!  

Fucking nonsense.  Good old Beeb.

It became recognised as Turkiye in 2021 and the pronunciation changed with that. The English speaking world has been pronouncing it differently for the last three years, nothing to do with the BBC. 
    Well that is news to me but thanks for the update.  I've never heard Turkey pronounced that way before, even on the Beeb as far as I can recollect.

I assumed it was simply the BBC being... the BBC :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2AWKfMvDtw

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thing is, as someone who prefers a stroll down Cadbury Close myself, I technically have skin in this game.

But, I know that anyone arguing that trans women should compete in female sports has literally lost their senses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Gassage said:
    Thing is, as someone who prefers a stroll down Cadbury Close myself, I technically have skin in this game.

But, I know that anyone arguing that trans women should compete in female sports has literally lost their senses.
    Yep.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2974
    I had heard the XY chromosome thing.  My reading a week or so back in the Times I think was that she was banned.prohibited by the IBA howver they have gone bankrupt or similar and so there is no organisation who has established criteria - or something like that , which to me sounds weak because the two ladies this is all about can’t have just said “oh, let’s have a go at the Olympics then”

always confusing no doubt, but in boxing , my that is potentially very dangerous, as the forces and accelerations are so much higher and are intended to cause brain impacting injuries ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1788
    Gassage said:

Yes it's been confirmed Khelif also has XY Chromosomes. 

To include transgender athletes in the Olympics then surely there has to be 3 categories. 

Male, female and transgender. 

Problem solved, surely? 
    Gandalph said:
    Gassage said:

To include transgender athletes in the Olympics then surely there has to be 3 categories. 

Problem solved, surely? 

Well, no. Because then you are discriminating and by definition you're saying a trans woman isn't a woman.

Now, I have my own view on this and it's not the LGBTQ+ party line. In fact, I find it all a bit silly and I cannot understand how anyone could claim that 6 3 Rachel McKinnon, with intact cock, was a woman.

• GandalphGandalph Frets: 1788
    Gassage said:
    Gandalph said:
    Gassage said:

Problem solved, surely? 

Well, no. Because then you are discriminating and by definition you're saying a trans woman isn't a woman.

Now, I have my own view on this and it's not the LGBTQ+ party line. In fact, I find it all a bit silly and I cannot understand how anyone could claim that 6 3 Rachel McKinnon, with intact cock, was a woman.
    It is indeed a minefield. 

I certainly don't have a solution to offer then
    but surely it can't continue as it is. 

As a disclaimer, my brother, who I'm very close to, also prefers a stroll down said close.

I shouldn't really have to say that but in this day and age  I think sometimes you have to. Just to save yourself from the potential pile on and pitchfork brigade who all to often seem ready to pounce. 
  • PhiltheguitarPhiltheguitar Frets: 222
    Nice to see that female abuse is now an Olympic sport. How progressive. How stunning and brave. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5088
    edited August 1
    One thing that irritates me about the Olympics and that is the ‘medal table’. 

Winning an Olympic medal, gold sliver or bronze, has to be the pinnacle of an athlete’s career. The joy it brings to the athletes family, his hometown and his country is immense. But that is diminished if he is a team member of one of the countries with a very large number of competitors (such as GB, USA etc).  The medal table almost suggests that a bronze medal is a failure. Which it most definitely is not. Scrap the medal table and simply enjoy your countries athletes winning a medal. 

Ps, his country also applies to her country, all the time. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 7258
    Nice to see that female abuse is now an Olympic sport. How progressive. How stunning and brave. 
    Is it any different to watching a male hit a male or a female hit a female?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    Yes, it absolutely is. 
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 1089
    Gassage said:

Definitely. Or at least those sports where biological male strength and endurance are key.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15289
    edited August 1 tFB Trader
    Hard, in-fact very hard, to admit that Marchand is a serious talent - 2 golds on the same night in 2 different events - So 3 golds so far and more to come with potential relay success

Why is it so hard to admit that Marchand is a serious talent? He's clearly one of the most talented swimmers of all time. Am I missing something?
    It is a back handed compliment from me and agree he is a phenomenal talent - But he's French - To be fair to him, it is not so much him, but the blooming' fans - Then I reminded of the way that some of the crowd booed Tom Pidcock - Hence the fact that I struggle to accept him as phenomenal 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7032
    mrkb said:
    Yes, it absolutely is. 
    Massively, outside heavyweight, we don’t let boxers fight each other when there’s a disparity of weight by a few pounds. 

Allowing males to fight females is simply dangerous and wrong even at the same weight class. 

Whether the world likes it or not, males have greater natural power and strength than females.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    edited August 1
    You've lost me, sorry.  Please expand...
    edited August 1
    Offset said:
    You've lost me, sorry.  Please expand...
    What don't you understand?
    EDIT - My comment was relating to the boxing
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2974
    I must admit it would help to clarify