So who is looking forward to the Olympics

What's Hot

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 13469
    sev112 said:

its just like when I watched the Euros in Bangladesh in 2002 ish.  When I turned the Tv on there would be a game on.  There would be no timer so didn’t know whether it’s just starting or about to finish and ther was no score on the screen either,  p,us commentating in bengali

Well when in Rome and all of that...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Offset said:
    Well Mrs O and a mate are en route to Paris with Eurostar for both the Men's and Women's Triathalons.

What could possibly go wrong?
    I take it you haven't watched Sous La Seine/Under Paris on Netflix then?  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Offset said:
    Well Mrs O and a mate are en route to Paris with Eurostar for both the Men's and Women's Triathalons.

I take it you haven't watched Sous La Seine/Under Paris on Netflix then?  ;)
    What a quandry for a triathlete - shit or sharks... 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15289
    tFB Trader
    Offset said:
    Meanwhile, down on the banks of the Seine:

Triathlon swim training scrapped because of pollution https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/articles/cn05nxv2z9po
    There is talk about turning it into a duathlon - How bloomin' stupid 

Swimming was banned in the Seine for over a 100 years so doesn't that give you some idea of what you might be up against - So where is your plan B - Start in Tahiti with the swim, then catch a flight back to France and do the next 2 disciplines in Paris 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24815
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:

They could end up as Duathlons, for a start...
    Indeed so.  Who'd want to swim through a shit-infested Seine?  Not quite sure how the French can be so confident that what wasn't acceptable over the weekend for training will be acceptable come 7am tomorrow for the men's event...?
    On the radio yesterday, I only caught the tail end of it but they were saying something about the weather having a big effect - if the sun comes out it'll burn it all off, or something.  I tried shining a sun lamp on my toilet, though, and nothing happened...
    Well who knows - looks like Tommy Robinson might bob up in the Seine to join all the other poisonous turds...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2973
    Offset said:

What medal are they expecting ? Seems a bit harsh tgat they have to both
    sev112 said:
    Offset said:

What medal are they expecting ? Seems a bit harsh tgat they have to both
    I haven't a clue to be honest.  Despite the sobering experience of the RWC last year, Mrs O wanted to go to 'soak up the atmosphere'.  No thanks!
    I was hinting that they were participating ;) 
    sev112 said:
    I was hinting that they were participating ;) 
    Sorry mate - my literal filter hadn't been bypassed :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Really enjoyed watching that gymnastics,  apparently some British chaps were there too but they didn’t want to show them even though they came 4th ?! 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24815
    sev112 said:
    Really enjoyed watching that gymnastics,  apparently some British chaps were there too but they didn’t want to show them even though they came 4th ?! 
    Meanwhile, elsewhere on the forum, someone is complaining about broadcasters only being interested in British competitors...
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:

Indeed so.  Who'd want to swim through a shit-infested Seine?  Not quite sure how the French can be so confident that what wasn't acceptable over the weekend for training will be acceptable come 7am tomorrow for the men's event...?
    Aaaaaaand sure enough...

Men's triathlon postponed due to poor water quality https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/articles/c4ngjz32j4do
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1731
    Haven’t watched any of it. Not sure how a convicted child rapist gets to be on this stage either tbh. That’s not the reason I’m not watching, but it’s a bit bloody odd. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16622

Philly_Q said:
    sev112 said:
    Meanwhile, elsewhere on the forum, someone is complaining about broadcasters only being interested in British competitors...

I watched a bit of the gymnastics. At one point they were commentating on one event whilst we watched another. The explanation was that the BBC doesn't control the feed (presumably only the little interviews) which sounds right so much of what we are watching isn't particularly focused on team GB even if the commentary is.  

I watched a bit of the mountain biking and Tom Pidcock's performance was outstanding, likely to be one of the great stories from this year for Team GB. I watched the three day eventing hilights which the BBC repeated later on for some reason. I do like show-jumping so at least it's a sport I roughly know what's going on. 
    Oh and I watched Summer McIntosh swimming, crazily far ahead. Although her parents have given her a name that sounds like a brand of warm weather waterproof. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Philly_Q said:
    sev112 said:

Yeah m saw that.  Difference between actually showing it endlessly talking about Adam Peaty and Tom Daley (both very nice chaps by the way) but stop going on about them .  why not talk about some of our other or younger athletes?

Offset said:
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:

Aaaaaaand sure enough...

Men's triathlon postponed due to poor water quality https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/articles/c4ngjz32j4do
    Ah big shame.  My old understanding was they had made a huge difference (like we had done and had salmon swimming up the Thames again a few years+ back). So it may be a real bad coincidence of weather etc.  but that really is crap for the attendees. I really hope they get to see it when it is put on again

PS I’ve currently got COVId which is why I’m watching non-mainstream sports nearly 24/7 ;)
    edited July 30
    FFS.  Watching the the air pistol competition between Turkey and Serbia.  The BBC commentators are pronouncing Turkey as 'Turkee-ay', presumably as the Turks would (if we have any Turkish forumites, please chip in).  WTAF?  The commentators aren't Turkish nor are they broadcasting to a Turkish audience.

Why isn't he referring to Paris as 'Paree' just to be consistent?!  

Fucking nonsense.  Good old Beeb.
    Chil-AY was last year’s media cha he of wording.  
    I don’t have too much of a problem with it, but I prefer your idea of consistency about it
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16622
    Offset said:
    FFS.  Watching the the air pistol competition between Turkey and Serbia.  The BBC commentators are pronouncing Turkey as 'Turkee-ay', presumably as the Turks would (if we have any Turkish forumites, please chip in).  WTAF?  The commentators aren't Turkish nor are they broadcasting to a Turkish audience.

Why isn't he referring to Paris as 'Paree' just to be consistent?!  

Fucking nonsense.  Good old Beeb.

It became recognised as Turkiye in 2021 and the pronunciation changed with that. The English speaking world has been pronouncing it differently for the last three years, nothing to do with the BBC. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.