So who is looking forward to the Olympics

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12705
    sev112 said:
    Great coverage again “well Yee looks like he is being overtaken by the 3rd place Frenchman … oh, he’s now winning !”
    I loved the “oh it looks like he knows what he’s doing!” comment. Because these professional athletes who spend years preparing mostly haven’t got a clue of course. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15289
    tFB Trader
    boogieman said:
    sev112 said:
    Great coverage again “well Yee looks like he is being overtaken by the 3rd place Frenchman … oh, he’s now winning !”
    I loved the “oh it looks like he knows what he’s doing!” comment. Because these professional athletes who spend years preparing mostly haven’t got a clue of course. 
    A case of Yee of little faith for the commentators
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Was that Fred’s daughter who won a GB diving medal
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5130
    Silver for Kieran Reilly at BMX Freestyle park. Very well done on a course not exactly suited for his huge trick repertoire.

Fair play to the Argentinian winner Torres Gil, his winning run was about the best 60 seconds of park ever done! Chapeau.

And so cool to see all the competitors congratulating each other on a comp well ridden, as it should be.

I think Natasha Diehm from Australia has to have been one of the most entertaining Bronze medallists ever, she just went nuts!
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2974
    Offset said:
    Mrs O pinged me this earlier today from her vantage point at the bottom of the Champs-Elysees.  Alex Yee on his way to gold!

I’m really pleased for Mrs @Offset :)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24815
    It was indeed.
    Silver for Kieran Reilly at BMX Freestyle park. Very well done on a course not exactly suited for his huge trick repertoire.

Fair play to the Argentinian winner Torres Gil, his winning run was about the best 60 seconds of park ever done! Chapeau.

And so cool to see all the competitors congratulating each other on a comp well ridden, as it should be.

I think Natasha Diehm from Australia has to have been one of the most entertaining Bronze medallists ever, she just went nuts!
    The men’s BMX was incredible, the Japanese and Brazilian guys were pulling some amazing tricks. I was surprised they didn’t get nearer to the medals, but I guess they weren’t consistent enough or the landings weren’t great? (I confess I know sod all about the sport.) 

Shame that Charlotte Worthington didn’t qualify, she hardly did any tricks and looked in very poor form generally. All caused by a crisis of confidence and mental issues apparently. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    It was indeed.
    I wonder if they offered Mr Toulson a similar, presumably highly paid (?) role too?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16622
    I had the men's gymnastics on yesterday and it went , IIRC, from BBC1 to the Red Button to BBC1 to BBC2 to BBC1. I'm not especially interested although it's like facing all the things that terrified me at school. 
    Watched the hilights of the triathlon. Absolutely hacked to bits, some more extended hilights would have been better but that final run in was amazing. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Hard, in-fact very hard, to admit that Marchand is a serious talent - 2 golds on the same night in 2 different events - So 3 golds so far and more to come with potential relay success

Did you see Ngamba, the boxer representing the 'Refugee team'  - Wonderful story about her - Moved to the UK when 11 - Took up boxing after been teased about her accent - Can't box for team GB as no passport, and can't return to Cameroon to represent them, as she is gay, and it is illegal there - She looked so excited after a points win - Wonderful story and shows what the Olympics is about 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6445
    Think Clare Balding is doing a great job filling between the BBC's sparse coverage
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    I had the men's gymnastics on yesterday and it went , IIRC, from BBC1 to the Red Button to BBC1 to BBC2 to BBC1. I'm not especially interested although it's like facing all the things that terrified me at school. 
    Watched the hilights of the triathlon. Absolutely hacked to bits, some more extended hilights would have been better but that final run in was amazing. 
    Yup, it’s pretty annoying the way they switch it around from channel to channel, it’s the same with Wimbledon.  I don’t know why they can’t stick to one channel, say BBC2, for the popular Olympic coverage and switch the regular programming over to BBC 1. There’s plenty of space on iplayer to cover the other Olympic sports (although that’s also slightly buggered… I tried to watch the men’s individual gymnastics from the beginning yesterday and got the morning coverage of the triathlon instead). 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16622

boogieman said:
    Yup, it’s pretty annoying the way they switch it around from channel to channel, it’s the same with Wimbledon.  I don’t know why they can’t stick to one channel, say BBC2, for the popular Olympic coverage and switch the regular programming over to BBC 1. There’s plenty of space on iplayer to cover the other Olympic sports (although that’s also slightly buggered… I tried to watch the men’s individual gymnastics from the beginning yesterday and got the morning coverage of the triathlon instead). 

I get that the 6pm news on BBC1 is sacrosanct  but the number of changes for a single event seemed crazy. I presume that the BBC had committed to showing it in full as there were two GB finalists and maybe that's a relatively late decision hence dotted around the channels. If they had decided it's not that popular just leave it in the red button/iPlayer all day I can't see an issue with that. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1731
    bmx highlight for me so far.
    lowlight...

Angela Carini is forced to box against a biological male. She quits after just 45 seconds, and cries hysterically as her opponent is declared the winner.
    Dont worry, be silly.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31488
    Offset said:
    Mrs O pinged me this earlier today from her vantage point at the bottom of the Champs-Elysees.  Alex Yee on his way to gold!

If she travelled to Paris using sustainable means, would that make her Mrs Carbon-Offset?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hard, in-fact very hard, to admit that Marchand is a serious talent - 2 golds on the same night in 2 different events - So 3 golds so far and more to come with potential relay success

Why is it so hard to admit that Marchand is a serious talent? He's clearly one of the most talented swimmers of all time. Am I missing something?
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13470
    Gassage said:
    Offset said:

If she travelled to Paris using sustainable means, would that make her Mrs Carbon-Offset?

I see what you did there  ;)

In contrast to last year's RWC she said everyone was friendly, there wasn't the rank profiteering and it wasn't that busy.  Lots of families so bars etc not as congested.

Most surprisingly of all, she said Paris was delightful - neither of us have enjoyed visiting for a long time now.  The only down was the insufferable heat.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    swiller said:

Angela Carini is forced to box against a biological male. She quits after just 45 seconds, and cries hysterically as her opponent is declared the winner.
    That is not what I've read.  Khelif has previously tested for high levels of testosterone which isn't the same thing.  The IOC have explicitly said this is '...not a transgender issue'. 
    No, but I read on bbc that she was hit once and that was enough. 
    edited August 1
    sev112 said:
    No, but I read on bbc that she was hit once and that was enough. 
    According to Steve Bunce:

"She's not a devastating puncher, that is only her fifth stoppage."

Sounds like the Italian copped one on the hooter, was in a lot of pain and couldn't continue.

If Khelif was indeed a 'biological male' then I'd have a big problem with that from a sporting perspective - but she isn't.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom