So who is looking forward to the Olympics

What's Hot

Comments

• richman6100richman6100 Frets: 355
    This is MrsTheWeary’s friend’s son so as a household we are now officially interested in the men’s 400m:

https://youtu.be/1AqirxXd9dE?si=aDTAS6nLrJxrdcpd
    He has a genuine chance of gold in my opinion, given the quality of the field he dominated the other day and the time he achieved. Seems like a nice bloke too. 400m is my favourite event so I will be rooting for him and Charlie Dobson too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5094
    Plenty of pianos ruined over the course of the evening! And we never did get to the bottom of the Mona Lisa mystery...

It may not have been to everyone's liking, but I loved that opening. Very French, very Parisienne. At times a bit all over the place, but err, it's Paris!

Paris has always been my favourite city, and I think they did it really well. 

Lady Gaga's burlesque-ish routine, the mystery man par-cour-ing around the city, metal meets opera, the floating horse, the athletes introduced inbetween stuff instead of all at once in an hour long snoozefest at the end, the amazing laser show on the Eiffel Tower, Celine, I mean come on? It wasn't the spectacle of Tokyo or London, but I wouldn't expect Paris to do it like that.

The athletes carrying the flame to Charles Coste in his wheelchair who I bet wished he could have lit the flame, was lovely.

Montpellier balloon flame is the best ever!

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6219
    Philly_Q said:
    rsvmark said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Apparently Gojira are playing in the opening ceremony but I expect it'll be a blink-and-you've-missed-it appearance.
    Just saw a band with sort of metal but to be honest the sound was down so it didn’t register
    I think they're meant to be backing an opera(ish) singer, but I may have that wrong.

They weren't mentioned by name, and I've no idea what Gojira look like, but yeah the metal guys were backing a famous French opera singer doing a metal version of one the songs of La Revolution.
    I was expecting...

(it being an opening ceremony). We did some mad stuff for our opening ceremony so it stands to reason there would be some serious oneupmanship attempted.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stylesforfreestylesforfree Frets: 216
    I only care about the boxing. Hopefully all the corruption has been flushed out but it looks like this could be the last olympics to feature boxing which is a shame as it's been a formal sport in the Olympics since 688 BC. Otherwise I couldn't give a fuck about the Olympics.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Overall I'll give them a solid 7/10  The Eiffel Tower light show brought them back in the game.  It was bold to try something different with the opening ceremony and the use of the River was experimental - but it slowed the overall pace and just didn't work.  I hope that no one else tries it again.  
    I think that's a pretty fair assessment. Hats off to them for trying something bold and totally different, but the river thing did slow things down; they needed faster boats!!

Some of the set pieces and the finale with Celine on the Tour Eiffel and that balloon/flame were completely unforgettable.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12150

This is cool.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8887
    That business with the blue Smurf God really made me feel like we were missing Antoine de Caunes and Jean-Paul Gaultier.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1372

This is cool.
    Is that real?!
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 4017
    I lost interest after they dropped town planning as an event

https://www.planetizen.com/node/87885/going-gold-when-town-planning-was-olympic-competition
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 4017
    sinbaadi said:

This is cool.
    Is that real?!
    I think so; there was a no-fly zone around Paris yesterday. 

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15020
    tFB Trader
    Enjoying the Rugby 7's - Final day today - Come on Fiji 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31346
    edited 9:35AM
    I thought it was a bit strange to hold the Opening Ceremony right in the middle of Paris Pride Weekend

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15020
    tFB Trader
    I can't see LA holding it down Sunset Strip - With Motley Crew burning down the street singing Girls Girls Girls - Or by Muscle Beach and Pamela running towards us in that swim suit - Or on Santa Monica Boulevard or Rodeo Drive - Granted such cities don't have the same 'history' as London, Paris, etc etc - Or indeed a central river which is the heart of a city 

I only saw a snippet or two when I was channel hoping from the Wigan rugby match and the Hundred - But what I saw was naaahh 
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 924
    I don't mind the Olympics... 

...As long as I don't need to watch any of it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12893
    edited 10:25AM
    I think it's great - it's just very very French.

Were the participants all shrugging in a Gallic styleee and did the ceremony end early and kick everyone out?
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31346
    Zimbabwe have sent 67 officials and 7 athletes to the #Olympic2024 

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12893
    Gassage said:
    Zimbabwe have sent 67 officials and 7 athletes to the #Olympic2024 
    No-one runs a gravy-train like the Zimbo government!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25048
    FFS!

The Rugby Sevens today is all on TNT / Discovery and not BBC.

Arseholes.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24201
    FFS!

The Rugby Sevens today is all on TNT / Discovery and not BBC.

Arseholes.
    I'm sure the Daily Mail will be blaming the BBC for that as we speak.