So who is looking forward to the Olympics

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15289
    tFB Trader
    Athlete complaints about lack of food in the village + quality of food - Reports of rationing of eggs + meat on Wed 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4105
    edited July 25
    So some paedo who forced his dick inside a 12 year old girl (when he was 19) is allowed to play volleyball? The mind boggles. 
  • Gassage said:
    Here at moment - fabulous atmosphere at Sevens!

I wish they would do a similar format for the football - a 5 a side format - Love the fact in 7's that Kenya, USA, etc etc can compete with the established teams

Futsal would be brilliant! 
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1729
    Anyone know of any new sports in this time. Assuming that jumping off buildings in adidas tracksuits on a tik tok live stream may feature somewhere. Its a shame that the world is so PC as i would like to have seen a graduation from early 80s darts, into a pint of lager per leg of darts, whilst playing the usual sets.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13469
    Deadman said:
    So some paedo who forced his dick inside a 12 year old girl (when he was 19) is allowed to play volleyball? The mind boggles. 
    What???!!!
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5130
    Offset said:
    Deadman said:
    What???!!!

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1448
    I do like a major festival of sports and am looking forward to it. I am less convinced there is a place for tennis, football and golf and any sport that is perfectly well represented outside in the professional era.

i enjoy watching some of the less well represented and televised stuff: diving, tae kwon do track and field and so on. The olympics provides a back drop to the emotion, drama and skill of those elite sportsmen and women.

what I don’t enjoy is all the behind the scenes stuff- the questionable politics and lack of proberty from the olympics organisation themselves….( Or is that FIFA, ) and the level of historical doping that’s gone on…. Whether that was state sponsored or by individuals. I am not particularly close to it all but can’t be arsed to spend more time on it.

An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Offset said:
    Deadman said:
    What???!!!

Holy fuck...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 366
    I do love the Olympics, especially the athletics and boxing. To me, sports like football, tennis etc have more prestigious alternatives, but for some, the Olympics is the pinnacle. Athletics, particularly so.

I remember seeing Miruts Yifter ('Yifter the shifter') dominate the 5K and 10K in the 1980 Olympics, despite not being able to remember his age. Daley Thompson's dominance in the Decathlon and rivalry with Jürgen Hingsen was electric. Coe vs Ovett in the middle distance battles, Carl Lewis to Usain Bolt in the sprints. Wonderful stuff.

In terms of boxing, it often heralds the emergence of the truly great. So many superb Cuban boxers shone at the Olympics. I recall seeing Ukraine's Vasily Lomachenko for the first time at the Olympics and thinking, this guy could be one of the best ever. He tuned out to be just that.

I'm crazy busy at work right now, but I will definitely be catching what I can. Competition in sport is far healthier than some of the geo-political shit that's happening right now.
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 795
    I detest the Olympics. An horrifically bloated, pompous affair with far more cultural capital than its entertainment value justifies. Having a child rapist participating this time around just about sums the whole thing up, as far as I'm concerned.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25090
    On what planet could the Dutch Olympic Committee "stand by their nomination" of this guy?  My mind is boggled.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12767
    Offset said:
    Why do people have to try and ruin something which brings the world together.
    munckee said:
    Offset said:
    Why do people have to try and ruin something which brings the world together.
    That is a very good question.  This is obviously a co-ordinated attack - by whom and for what reason (other than causing chaos)?
  • vizviz Frets: 10977
    edited July 26
    Afraid I didn't know it was even happening. 
    Neither did I and we’re in France. I only knew because of this thread. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31487
    Well, I had a wonderful two days working at the 7s. 

Sadly, back now as playing cricket this weekend. Really glad I flew as trains are in chaos due to some arson overnight.

Food in media village was OK- they are doing made on premises pizza, salads, rice and chicken dishes and some quite wonderful french pastries.

Atmosphere for France and Dupont last night was electric!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Gassage said:

Sadly, back now as playing cricket this weekend. Really glad I flew as trains are in chaos due to some arson overnight.

Food in media village was OK- they are doing made on premises pizza, salads, rice and chicken dishes and some quite wonderful french pastries.

Leaving aside today's chaos what was the organisation like James?
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31487
    Offset said:
    Gassage said:

Leaving aside today's chaos what was the organisation like James?

For Media it was smoother than RWC, but far less of the rugby hacks there.

There was a lot of queuing on day 1 for public, I think.

Aggressive searches for all. Plus ca change

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16622
    This is MrsTheWeary’s friend’s son so as a household we are now officially interested in the men’s 400m:

https://youtu.be/1AqirxXd9dE?si=aDTAS6nLrJxrdcpd
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24815
    This is MrsTheWeary’s friend’s son so as a household we are now officially interested in the men’s 400m:

https://youtu.be/1AqirxXd9dE?si=aDTAS6nLrJxrdcpd
    A good person to have an official interest in.  He is definitely** not a plucky no-hoper who'll be going out in the first round.

(** touch wood, fingers crossed etc.)