So who is looking forward to the Olympics

What's Hot

Comments

• littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5130
    Bronze again for Sky Brown in the skateboarding. Mad that she's been to 2 Olympics and won two Bronze medals and is still only just 16!
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15289
    tFB Trader
    Basket ball - watch the whole 4 mins or so - But for pure magic, watch the USA dream team from about 3 mins - That deft back handed pass behind - Wow - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/videos/cdd7711qq53o
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Never thought about it before but just watching the update on the women’s pole vault and a competitor just cleared the bar and they pointed out that you won’t see many left handed pole vaulters 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    400m - so no repeat of history 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16622
    Silver for Matthew Hudson Smith. MrsTheWeary’s friend getting a brief bit of telly time. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16622
    400m - so no repeat of history 
    Silver for Matthew Hudson Smith. MrsTheWeary’s friend getting a brief bit of telly time. 
    Silver, personal best, 5th fastest of all time. Obviously gold would have been the icing on the cake and he’s crying his eyes out because he didn’t get it but still a hell of a race. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5088
    We here in Ireland are still rejoicing in the gold medal win by Kellie Harrington last night. Been a great Olympics for Ireland. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• stufisherstufisher Frets: 939
    Men's 400m was a belter ... Matt ran his best race so can stand tall ... silver medal is fantastic. Sometimes you just lose to someone better on the day but the event is the real winner.

Quincy Hall, if finessed, might get into the low 43s ... Matt has taken almost a full second of the British record in the last year and is now top drawer. I think he'll also get into the 43.2s next year at the world champs.

So, we now have a presence on a world level in an event we've always been weak at. High praise to Matt Hudson Smith :+1: 

• stufisherstufisher Frets: 939
    BTW ... the funniest thing for me tonight is that a Stona from Jamaica won the men's discus :lol: 
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 366
    Once Matt Hudson-Smith get's over his understandable disappointment at not winning gold, I hope he can reflect positively on the incredible race he ran. He should be very, very proud of himself - that was an awesome effort. 400m is such a tough event and is always stacked with talent.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12705
    sev112 said:
    Oh my bloody god, and they are showing Hodgkinson again :( !!!  I used to like her and it’s not her fault . I wish she’d got a silver now
    They’d have still shown umpteen clips of “brave Keeley just missing out”. 
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3401
    Jesus, have you guys seen Arshad Nadeem, from Pakistan's javelin thrower Arshad Nadeem's monster of a throw, not only does he win Pakistan's first gold in something like 3 decades, he also smashed a world record at the same time, his throw was something like 93 meters.  

Given javelin's relation and resemblance to a spear - both it's shape and the technique used to throw it, I'm extremely curious to find out how a modern javelin thrower compares to a spear man from the times when spears where used properly as weapons of war, both the modern javelin thrower using a modern javelin vs a spear man using a tradition war spear, a modern javelin thrower using a modern javelin vs a spear man using a modern javelin, and then both using tradition war spears.  For some reason,  and I don't know why, I don't think the modern javelin thrower will be much better, or rather throw further, than a spear man who has trained for years to use a spear for war.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12705
    What’s happening with Covid protocols? I thought the IOC and the organisers would be clamping down on competitors who tested positive but Noah Lyles’ performance last night seems to show that they’re either not bothered or they’re not enforcing isolation. All seems a bit cavalier from Lyles whatever… he’d tested positive in the morning but “decided to keep it quiet”, then hugged the winner Tobogo at the end. I also wonder if the medical staff treating him knew he’d got it? 
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1916
    edited August 9
    Did he really test positive though or use it as an excuse for losing?

Either way it shows a high level of shitheadedness
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1916
    On a more positive (excuse the pun) note; how incredible is Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone.

Completely in another league over the rest of the best in the world.
    tFB Trader
    Did anyone see Ellie Aldridge in the Kite sailing - wow are they shifting - I bet there is some adrenaline rush - And she got gold  - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/videos/cr40x4rnwx6o

Good to see the regular sports at the Olympics but great to see such 'minority' sports get their 10 mins of fame

Just saw a 5 min BBC clip of the basket ball and the USA were nearly beaten by Serbia
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4968
    Did anyone see Ellie Aldridge in the Kite sailing - wow are they shifting - I bet there is some adrenaline rush - And she got gold  - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/videos/cr40x4rnwx6o

Good to see the regular sports at the Olympics but great to see such 'minority' sports get their 10 mins of fame

Just saw a 5 min BBC clip of the basket ball and the USA were nearly beaten by Serbia
    Yeah - brilliant stuff!  It's like a real-life hoverboard.

It's often the 'minority' sports that are most interesting.  Really don't see why tennis, golf, football, etc. need to be there - plenty of those already.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Awesome - Toby Roberts - Climbing gold - Watch the lead climb on BBC player/hi-lights if you can - Un-real what they can do 
  • yockyyocky Frets: 840
    Imagine beating Adam Ondra at climbing
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4479
    edited August 9
    yocky said:
    Imagine beating Adam Ondra at climbing
    Yeah. I know. Can’t be bad! 

Well done Toby. Amazing. Really enjoyed watching the climbing this morning. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to