Musicians who died in your lifetime whose output you miss

What's Hot
OffsetOffset Frets: 13929
I was considering this question whilst listening to World Party's final studio album 'Dumbing Up' (2000) as I did my ablutions this morning.  Both it and the four albums which preceded it are brilliant, and I consider Karl Wallinger to be a (somewhat overlooked)  musical genius.

Ill health stalled his work in 2001 but when he resumed touring 5 years later, I remained hopeful that more new material in the form of an album would follow.  It wasn't to be, and his untimely death earlier this year has drawn a line under World Party.

He was SO creative, so talented... I always felt there was so much more to come and yet it wasn't to be.  We're left with those five superb albums, and I felt incredibly sad as I listened to "You're A Hurricane, I'm A Caravan" first thing today.

Who do you similarly miss who's been taken from us too early?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• matt_seftonmatt_sefton Frets: 1079
    Prince. Obviously.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10014
    Mimi Parker.

Elliot Smith.
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 1411
    Mark Lanegan
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2251
    Jeff Beck
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5529
    Amy Winehouse
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • AornicAornic Frets: 673
    Linkin Park. Not dead as a whole but Chester was so essential that they've been defunct since.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 6006
    Buddy Holly. 

(OK, not quite my lifetime. But almost. And THE biggest loss to music of the 20th Century. (Yes, even including the immortal Glenn Miller.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • M1ckM1ck Frets: 265
    SRV for me, I know some knock him but for me he was one of the best. 
  • euaneuan Frets: 1942
    David Berman 
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2793
    Tim Smith
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11968
    tFB Trader
    Freddie Mercury.

Gary Moore

EVH

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• LitterickLitterick Frets: 740
    edited August 15

Trish Keenan
    Scott Miller
    Martin Phillipps
  • MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 273
    euan said:
    David Berman 
    Very much this guy...
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4491
    Dimebag

Kurt Cobain

Mark Lanegan 

Layne Staley

Scott Weiland

Cliff Burton

Michael Hedges

Chris Cornell

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Zappa
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1552
    edited August 15
    I'm reading the responses and I think most of them pretty much gave what they had to give. 

I'd love to have seen Jerry Garcia live - and Stuart Adamson died way too soon... but other than Amy above (of those I've heard of)  I think others pretty much said what they had to say creatively and musically.

Jeff Beck ended up doing duets with Johnny Depp. Gary Moore winded up in a blues rock cul-de-sac?

This all reminds me of the Doug Stanhope bit where he says as much and Hendrix starts doing jams with Elton John on stage... Oooohhhh rocket maaaannnnn... wawwahzingdfdafasdf..."
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • JEMJEM Frets: 196
    Not sure if this qualifies but I only really discovered Frank Zappa after he'd died. I'd have loved to have seen him play live and he did tour the UK while I was a teenager. Sadly I'd never heard of him at the time.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12868
    Would have been interesting to see if Kurt Cobain transitioned into a mainly acoustic playing folk type singer as he was apparently 'tired of the screaming'
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 205
    It’s a tough one, in a way, because those who died early have potentially left behind a greater legacy because of it. Would Nirvana still be going? What would their output be like? Would the quality of the songwriting hold up? The angry musings of a 20 something are a lot different to those of a 50 something. Paul McCartney is still touring his output from the 60’s and 70’s. What may John Lennon have been up to? I’d love to see what Kurt Cobain might have put out but equally there’s a catalogue of work there that can be enjoyed as a discography, we aren’t waiting for the next Nevermind. 
  • PerdixPerdix Frets: 144
    I still listen to old Kirsty Macoll songs would have been nice to have the opportunity to listen to current ones. A lovely voice, much missed. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom