Musicians who died in your lifetime whose output you miss

What's Hot

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10370
    Aornic said:
    Linkin Park. Not dead as a whole but Chester was so essential that they've been defunct since.
    I'm playing in a tribute show to them this coming Sunday, 1000 musicians playing along to In the End and Numb raising money for a mental health charity who work with young people from the alternative music community, at the NIA in Brum where he played his last show. So I'd have to say them as well i think as I was massively into them for a good while and of course Chester was the main focus of interest. 

mgaw said:
    Amy Winehouse
    But also I agree with this one, such a shame as there was so much she still could have done
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Offset said:
    I was considering this question whilst listening to World Party's final studio album 'Dumbing Up' (2000) as I did my ablutions this morning.  Both it and the four albums which preceded it are brilliant, and I consider Karl Wallinger to be a (somewhat overlooked)  musical genius.

Ill health stalled his work in 2001 but when he resumed touring 5 years later, I remained hopeful that more new material in the form of an album would follow.  It wasn't to be, and his untimely death earlier this year has drawn a line under World Party.

He was SO creative, so talented... I always felt there was so much more to come and yet it wasn't to be.  We're left with those five superb albums, and I felt incredibly sad as I listened to "You're A Hurricane, I'm A Caravan" first thing today.

Who do you similarly miss who's been taken from us too early?
    I saw the thread title and came here to mention Karl. It feels to me like we were robbed (if that's the right word) by his self-confessed procrastination in the preceding couple of decades rather than by his demise. I also think everyone was hoping for a final album because he kept dropping hints that he was working on one, but with hindsight it was always more likely that he was just 'thinking about' one.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2503
    Jeff Buckley
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 1131
    edited August 15
    Most recording artists I've liked died quite some time after they'd shot their bolt artistically, as far as I was concerned. But my guitar tech in Pembroke Pines, an hour's drive north of Miami, died tragically around eight years ago of cancer. He was a wonderful fingerstyle guitarist. 
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4852
    I think Richard Wright. With his passing, Pink Floyd was no more. Although I doubt they would have surpassed their previous musical output, I would have loved to have seem them again (I was at the Pulse Concert at Earls Court in 1994, truely a life changing experience).
    Freddy of course, where would Queen have gone? (Saw them in 1986 in Munich)
    Neil Peart, again his death finishing Rush. Alas never got to see them.
    SRV, would have love to have followed his progression, I wonder if he would have moved into a Jazz direction
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 625
    Eric Roche
     Jason Morris
     Poopot
     Big Al Cummings

OK none of them "famous" (maybe apart from Eric) but .. y'know. It's truer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 1302
    Kurt Cobain and David Berman. Never got to see Nirvana or Silver Jews live, which I would have liked to. And I'm sure they both had a lot more to give. Others have died who I miss (Leonard Cohen, Lou Reed spring to mind) but they were older so weren't 'cut short' in the same way, creatively,  having both turned out a huge body of work. 
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 210
    edited August 15
    Jimi
      SRV
      Dave Crosby
       Lou reed
       Peter green.
       Joe cocker.
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 805
    Jeff Hanneman.
    Dimebag Darrell.
    Cliff Burton.
    Prince.
  • Jeff Buckley 
  • Mark Lanegan

Layne Staley 

Andrew Wood

Chris Cornell

Michael Hutchence 

Stuart Adamson

• rlwrlw Frets: 4898
    Duane Allman
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4267
    Bowie, Prince and Jeff Beck probably stand out to me 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5688
    Poopot
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1771
    edited August 15
    I'll be the first to say Lennon!

Yes, it may have been middle of the road guff, but it would have been the best middle of the road guff, nd no one needs to be killed like he was etc.
    The one's taken violently, that's a real unknown. Shhout out to Dimebag, Al Jackson jr, Sam Cooke, Otis, Buddy Holly etc.

Artists being the way they are, theres a lot of  "attrition"

it is difficult. Even the "27" people were battling their demons - who knows what music may have developed or not? Most had done their one, unique world changing thing. What next?

Jimi Hendrix, Elliott Smith, Kurt Cobain, Otis Redding, Nick Drake, Minnie Ripperton, Flo Ballard, Gil Scott Heron, Laura Nyro, Susannah Mckorkle . There all had talent beyond measure and had not yet peaked.

I have to believe they had more to give. Maybe not what we were expecting. But more. Jmii and Kurt especially.

Some I love, but honesty feel they had done what they needed to (musically). Mark Lanegan, Buddy Holly, Bowie.

So all in all, I say Leadbelly.

Edit: Argh, in my lifetime!!!! That rule out most (!'m 8). Defiinitely Leadbelly and Buddy Holly. Sam Cooke, Otis. Shit, Nick Drake and Jimi too.

I'd have liked to see Bill Hicks change with the times rather than have changed the times, then died. 

Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1434
    Mark Lanegan, Chris Cornell for me.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5735
    Scott Hutchison.
    I loved Frightened Rabbit and would have loved to see where his writing went as he got older, but alas that will never be 
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1771
    Chris Cornell was a bolt from the blue, wasn't he? Totally left field one, that. I had no idea that his demons were that engulfing, or that he continued to be haunted even when older.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • ewalewal Frets: 2821
    Mimi Parker obviously - I think there's something especially sad with Alan Sparhawk left behind and very obviously reticent to either continue Low or sing Low songs. I mean how could he, given their relationship and how their harmonies were an intrinsic element of Low's music.

Pete De Freitas - his drumming was a big part of the unique Bunnymen sound. They were never the same after he went.
  • donbotdonbot Frets: 382
    EVH, SRV, Jeff Beck. 
    It really saddens me that I will never buy another Jeff Back album and have that excitement and awe at the new music he’s come up with  :/