Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tool's cover of 'No Quarter' ...

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_fx said:
    And Tool are just dull.
    Maybe I can interest you in a little Bridge Disaster?

*upsell! upsell!*
    I do like you guys far more than I like Tool, which isn't saying much, but is definitely true. Not the kind of thing I like in large doses but good stuff :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Drew_fx said:
    And Tool are just dull.
    Maybe I can interest you in a little Bridge Disaster?

*upsell! upsell!*
    I do like you guys far more than I like Tool, which isn't saying much, but is definitely true. Not the kind of thing I like in large doses but good stuff :)
    Nah I hear ya. We all like different stuff, that is fine.

But I still hold my viewpoint that the Tool cover is better than the original. 
    8->
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
    what a plodder, that didn't hold my attention. The trouble is that "epic" noodling has been done to death IMHO
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

listened to the Tool and Zep version.. I quite like them both.. but as a song, they both [in my opinion] suffer with the same prob..

they both last far too long given the total sum of the music content [from a variety standpoint]..

I love the moody / spooky vibes and I love the ebb and flow and the big finish, but it's way too much of the same thing going round and round and so starts to get dull [for me].. too much of a good thing I guess [in both cases]..

for me, in the Tool version, the magic really happens at about 10 mins.. absolutely beautiful stuff..

play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityMan;416156" said:
    The tool one is better on account of unlike led zep tool can play in time.
    So much fail

One of the best things about bands like zep and Sabbath is that they weren't ruled by a click like modern bands.

I like Tool but I don't think they have added anything to the original there.

I didn't mention a click and as Drew points out Tool don't use one. Led Zep were sloppy as all fuck even on a good day though. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    edited November 2014
    Yup. Bonham is pretty famous for his sloppy timing. It was his beef and power that gave him renown.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10533
    Drew_fx said:
    Yup. Bonham is pretty famous for his sloppy timing. It was his beef and power that gave him renown.
    Er are you sure he's "famous for sloppy timing" :) 

Famous for being about the best rock drummer of all time would be more accurate. Page is pretty sloppy, maybe you meant Page
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Danny1969 said:
    Drew_fx said:
    Er are you sure he's "famous for sloppy timing" :) 

Famous for being about the best rock drummer of all time would be more accurate. Page is pretty sloppy, maybe you meant Page

yeah I'd go with this too.. Bonham was rock solid.. I think it was him that held it all together [and rightly so.. he's da drumist]..

I love Bonham.. he's one of the few that can handle a ballad with brutality and make it sound wonderful..

got to say though that the Tool drummer is fkn superb... very interesting to listen to.. truly awesome...

and his kit is mixed beautifully..

• ftumchftumch Frets: 692
    Being a massive zep and tool fan both, I gotta say I still think the original is better. But that's not to say the tool version is inferior. Also, I love Pages sloppiness, it breathes and it's more emotive for it IMHO but that's the kind of thing I like, and I agree with Drew completely, Tool are a live band, I've seen them 4 times and they are jaw droppingly good (along with apc, must be a Maynard thing).
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6268
    the last few minutes are right up mine, but the rest goes on a bit.

and I am a Tool fan, Puscifer and APC too.
  • The original, for me, is/was full of magic and mystery, it took you on a journey. I'm not really getting that with this version. The "rawness" of the original was, again IMO, part of the thing that I liked so much. Not listened to Zep for ages anyway, older must has been losing it's appeal to me in general a bit.
    When recording I will often leave stuff in that has noticeably "out" timing, if I think it adds something else to the music from a different angle. 
    Actually I think there needs to be a bit of skill in playing "sloppy", if that's what you are trying to achieve. Like Les Dawson adding humour by, very skilfully, playing "wrongly".
    :D
    To play in a "grungy" style like say Kurt Cobain isn't just a case of playing badly. Something like that, maybe.

I think that playing [or fixing up in the studio] too cleanly can take the magic outof a performance..

it can leave things a little on the sterile side..

^wot he said.
    It's different nuances isn't it, who says playing perfectly in time is the right thing to do? I don't believe it is, it's about expressing yourself.
    cracks me up how some people can get all sniffy about the musical ability of various legends.

Yeah, Bonham, such a poor drummer. Probably would have been much more legendary if his timing had been just that tiny bit more robotic.

Jimmy Page, jesus wept, he's so sloppy, rubbish really. All those records sold, shows, sessions. Must have been luck eh?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    These sniffy people are probably Satch and Vai fans
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ftumch said:
    LOL. Absolutely not.

This guy explains it better than I could:

Bottom line is... he had his own style, with its own idiosyncrasies.
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    I tried to listen to it - will try at home on a bigger soiund stage.  just getting some zep therapy to get over it
    Drew_fx said:
    ftumch said:
    LOL. Absolutely not.

This guy explains it better than I could:

Bottom line is... he had his own style, with its own idiosyncrasies.

I love listening to Bonham.. I'm not sure I could say exactly what it is he has.. like in the link you gave us says, it has to be a pile of different things.. but anyways.. he's just fkn awesome..
    Exactly. He just sounds so immensely massive. I bet it was amazing playing with him behind you. Mind you JPJ can band out those licks too. What a rhythm section.

Jack Bruce - another thudder. Kin ell, he must have battered some basses the way he played. Ace. I remember when I first saw that Cream reunion gig, I thought any minute now, that bass is gonna bust. Just brilliant stuff. True legends. Beyond criticism IMO.

People such as these, they wrote the chuffing rules!