Boss pedals - I do love 'em... but daaaammmnnnn they're noisy....

What's Hot

Comments

•  It's like filling your preamp with a bunch of angry rattlesnakes.
    Do you have any more details on this mod?
    its just more snake oil
    That's what I was thinking.... I mean once it heated up in there I couldn't imagine there be much else left.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I don't care how they sound, for as long as they keep using this legend of a guy.  He goes from 80s nuts, to childrens bedtime stories 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    ^ yeah :))
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Man alive I'm an idiot...

The reason I've got so much noise is because some of the pedals are directly above my PP2+ and that adds loads of RF to that particular pedal. If I move it... it goes away.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4542
    Why dont you try moving the pedals away from your PP2+, i hear they add loads of RF to particular pedals
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_fx said:

The reason I've got so much noise is because some of the pedals are directly above my PP2+ and that adds loads of RF to that particular pedal. If I move it... it goes away.
    Holy cow. 

Does it do it to all pedals, or are boss pedals more susceptible?
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Drew_fx said:

I hadn't even thought of that.

I;ve had issues with daisychaining pedlas in the loop and upfront.....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

Okay... here is what is happening...

When I have the TC Nova Modulator in the chain, it introduces noise and hum, and this is worse the closer it is to the PP2+. If I replace it with my Phase 90, the noise and extra hum basically goes away.

What is weird is the Boss units were generating a shit ton of hum when the TC Nova was in the chain too, but not when the Phase 90 is.

What is even weirder is that I was getting all of this hum even when bypassing the Nova Mod completely using the Decibel 11 switching unit.

I am confuzzled. I've stripped my board down to the bare essentials, and for the time being have taken the D11 switcher off the board. Tonight's gig needs to go smoothly, so I'm going with as little complications as possible. Will sort this out and do some more testing after the gig.
    IE: The four Boss pedals and the Phase 90 can sit across the top of the PP2+ with no issues. Introduce the Nova in any context??? All hell breaks loose!
  • That's really really weird.  

But at least you've isolated the issue! 

Kinda weird it still happens when the Nova is completely bypassed, though...
    yeah... it doesn't make much sense...
  • Drew_fx said:
    IE: The four Boss pedals and the Phase 90 can sit across the top of the PP2+ with no issues. Introduce the Nova in any context??? All hell breaks loose!
    that is because the TC nova modulator is the work of the devil. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Drew_fx said:
    that is because the TC nova modulator is the work of the devil. 
    lol. I'm starting to believe that!

Have you tried slipping something between the Nova and the PSU as a shield?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mike_l said:

About 5 feet should do it.
    ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    mike_l said:

;)

I wasn't thinking like that, but as you mention it.......

Just anything as a basic shield to see if that'll make a difference.

• mike_l said:   Have you tried slipping something between the Nova and the PSU as a shield?
    ;)
    Do they still need to be in their shoes though ???       :o3

...for extra shielding, like...

• Drew_fx said:   What is weird is the Boss units were generating a shit ton of hum when the TC Nova was in the chain too, but not when the Phase 90 is.
    What is even weirder is that I was getting all of this hum even when bypassing the Nova Mod completely using the Decibel 11 switching unit.
    If the nova is still plugged into the PSU it could be introducing noise via the power supply, there is also the possibility of transmissive RF/LF EMR (electromagnetic radiation) getting picked up too, if it is switched on, shouldn't be, but there ya'go. There seems to be susceptibility in some equipment.  There is always an outside possibility of grounding issues too (probably not here though).

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader
    It sounds like your isolated PSU is not so isolated
    It sounds like your isolated PSU is not so isolated
    Nah I don't think that is it. Isolation doesn't do anything for RF interference, it just means that each of the outputs themselves are isolated from one another.

I might just go back to a 1-spot!