Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What was your first electric guitar?

What's Hot

Comments

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Danny1969 said:
    Clarky said:

Kay E-110 Tulip late 60's / early 70's

http://www.renvers.com/mediac/450_0/media/DIR_54023/addf4960aec1551bffff81c1d4355564.JPG

the one on the left

what a piece of crap.. but I totally fkn loved it..

Mine was same, sold from Freeman's  catalog I think originally but mine was brought second hand from a car boot sale.  These things were terrible it's a miracle anyone who started out on one perserved. I used to look at people playing past the 7th fret on top of the pops and think how is that possible when the actions 1\2 inch high there .......... turns out it's not supposed to be 

I got mine 2nd hand too.. it didn't matter to me that it was crap.. it was electric.. sunburst.. and I had a cool curly lead..

the basic ingredients for rockin' and-a rollin'.. nothing else mattered..

play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Can't really remember, but I think it was a secondhand one originally from Woolworths. Needless to say, it was shit.

• "jedsen" woolworths tele, paid £20 for it, horrible machine, eventually swopped it for a 1/4.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    Easy one:

1. Squier Affinity Stratocaster in Candy Apple Red - bought from the guitar store in Windsor Town Centre.. 

2. Epiphone LP in Cherry Sunburst - bought shortly after from The Flying Pig in West Ealing (store long since closed).

I still have both.   :) 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6270
    there's some stuff here that's taking me back. Before I bought the almighty Kay Gun, I borrowed a few that stayed with me, notably a Guyatone single pickup thing, and a Columbus Les Paul alike that was utterly shite.

I too had an enormous 2x12 stack, think it was homemade, it had 2 Fane 12" and a couple of tweeters, weighed in at about 50lbs, and I put a Powertran PA kit amp into it. It was friggin loud, for sure. The bakc of the cab used to regular blow off when it was at full tilt.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    First electric was an '84 US Strat (the one with a liteflyte trem).  that was in '92

I'd been playing my Dad's Shergold since '89
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited November 2014
    A late fifties Roger semi-solid made by Wenzel Rossmeisl. Just like the one below but with 2 pickups. Wenzel's son was called Roger - hence the name. Roger became a designer at Rickenbacker. Guitar had a seriously huge neck which to me became "completely normal". This helped later on when I got interested in vintage Gibson guitars.......

Wenzel Rossmeisl
    Wenzel Rossmeisl
    Wenzel Rossmeisl
    Wenzel Rossmeisl

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    An Aria RS Standard Strat 'copy' (ish) - different body shape, head shape and control layout.

Subsequently modded beyond repair, so a couple of years ago after a very long search I bought another one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    An Epiphone EA-250 red semiacoustic. Japanese made, I think maybe early 70s. Mine had lost the arm and other parts of it's trem, so that only functioned as a stop tailpiece. Also some former owner had tried to fit an onboard fuzz circuit (I kid you not) and buggered up the wiring and drilled unnecessary holes for pots in the upper horn (I did find someone who was able to sort the wiring at least).

But I was clueless, and should never have got my dad to buy it for me (sorry dad). I sometimes see them on the bay or elsewhere, being touted as "vintage", which I suppose in a way they are, but imo it was a bit of a naff guitar, even without the extra issues mine had - proof that not every jap built guitar with a bit of age to it, is actually any good.
  • My first guitar was a Charvel Model 4. It is black and has a kahler Wang bar.

First I tried bass with a Westone Thunder Jet.

I was not disappointed with either.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Top twenty from Woolworths , in 1972. Horrible...
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    edited November 2014

One of these that I stuck a Pantera sticker on to make cooler and instantly play better!image

• monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Skipped;419359" said:
    A late fifties Roger semi-solid made by Wenzel Rossmeisl. Just like the one below but with 2 pickups. Wenzel's son was called Roger - hence the name. Roger became a designer at Rickenbacker. Guitar had a seriously huge neck which to me became "completely normal". This helped later on when I got interested in vintage Gibson guitars.......

Wenzel Rossmeisl Wenzel Rossmeisl Wenzel Rossmeisl Wenzel Rossmeisl
    The size of that harmonica……........
  • FazerFazer Frets: 468
    an avon marauder, just looked it up and found this photo from ebay + "70s Japanese copy of a Marauder ... the Japanese ones appear under a variety of brands - yours is the first JHS I've seen, but I've seen these as Avon, Cimar, CSL plus unbranded, which mine was. I'm not sure who made these, it's possible that they were from Fujigen Gakki - some later Cimars are confirmed as being from that factory."

ah, makes me feel all nostalgic now, it was a lovely cherry red

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Snap said:
    Mine was a Kay 45, otherwise known as the Kay Gun. Bought it new in 1984 for about £90. I thought it was ace.
    It was actually suprisingly good - 5 way pup toggle, complete with Powersound Chopper humbuckers. Problem was it was totally neck heavy, so was trick to play. Did a good few gigs with it too. Oh happy days......got nicked eventually.
    Looks like someone nicked half of it before you got it :)

Tempted to say I got my first real six string at the five and dime...

Actually second hand pacifica 112. Still the thing I use most (though now somewhat modded).
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Encore Strat, which I still have and will never get rid for sentimental reasons... Yes, I've played better guitars, but when I first picked it up 15 years ago, I struggled through various chords and tunes to the point where I could play them reasonably well. It's a very back to basics guitar and forces me to think about the notes I'm playing. Nice wide fretboard too.
  • Encore Strat
    Do they ever play in tune?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10541
    Us guys with Kays used to look on in envy at guys with Encore Strats .......... I mean at least they were the right shape !
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited November 2014
    Dean Baby ML.

Now has cream pickup rings and pickup covers, looks fucking awful. I've never liked the silver finish so I'm hoping to strip it all off one of these days. It could use some mods to get me playing it again, because it's actually a perfectly serviceable guitar.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • My First Electric Guitar was a Satellite or some other cheap brand, got it for £30 in Dec 1986, it was kind of SG shaped and Cherry/Black burst, it had switches more akin to a Fender Jaguar though.

Never mind my first Guitar though, I think your "First Guitar" was actually my "Second Guitar".

Bloody Hell mate, I knew I had a Kay with a small "Steinberger" type body but I only had vague recollections of the actual shape of the body. I did recall all the toggles etc though.

Your photo has brought it all back to me and has indeed confirmed that "THAT" model was my second Guitar, it might even be "the same one".

I have to say that I didn't nick your Guitar though, I bought it from Moon Music (now defunct) in Sheffield circa 1987 for about £50 I think. I then sold it back and "upgraded" to a Marlin Sidewinder, which were about £90, later the same year. 

Marlin Sidewinders, what a pile of Shite they were, but they looked just like a Strat to a 15 year old.

The Kay was actually a good playable Guitar.

Would be interesting to know if you are from around Sheffield as it might have solved the mystery of where your Guitar ended up.

:-D
    Only a Fool Would Say That.