Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What was your first electric guitar?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8848
    A Hofner President, to which I added a pickup. I've still got it, but it's no longer playable because the neck was made without a truss rod, and has warped.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Snap said:
    My First Electric Guitar was a Satellite or some other cheap brand, got it for £30 in Dec 1986, it was kind of SG shaped and Cherry/Black burst, it had switches more akin to a Fender Jaguar though.

Never mind my first Guitar though, I think your "First Guitar" was actually my "Second Guitar".

Bloody Hell mate, I knew I had a Kay with a small "Steinberger" type body but I only had vague recollections of the actual shape of the body. I did recall all the toggles etc though.

Your photo has brought it all back to me and has indeed confirmed that "THAT" model was my second Guitar, it might even be "the same one".

I have to say that I didn't nick your Guitar though, I bought it from Moon Music (now defunct) in Sheffield circa 1987 for about £50 I think. I then sold it back and "upgraded" to a Marlin Sidewinder, which were about £90, later the same year. 

Marlin Sidewinders, what a pile of Shite they were, but they looked just like a Strat to a 15 year old.

The Kay was actually a good playable Guitar.

Would be interesting to know if you are from around Sheffield as it might have solved the mystery of where your Guitar ended up.

:-D
    that's funny! Yeah, it was a good guitar, I loved it, it was powerful too, and as I remember, sounded good. Mate, I moved here in 93, I'm originally from Blackburn. Bought the guitar from ED Brown's. It got nicked whilst I was at university in Newcastle. Some Geordie tike probably chucked in a skip or sold it for weed. Shame. I muchly enjoyed carrying it over my back, in the case (llooked like a shotgun) into the pub after band practice. I really did think I was rock n roll personified. What with me winklepickers and spiky goth mullet, kin ell I was convinved I was in the Cult.
    Haha,nice one @Snap

The features of the Guitar were great for the money. Do you remember the old Guitar Shops on London Road, Moon Music and Musical Sounds? If you came over in 93 I think they were still there then. Wavelength seems to have survived a few years though.

Imagine if you carried that Guitar round in it's case like that now, you'd probably get swarmed by the Anti Terror Police.

:-)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • I had a black 'Axe' guitar ordered from an ad in Metal Hammer when I was 11. To avoid confusion, it had 'Axe' written on the body in big letters (I spray-painted it not long afterwards to cover that up). Was decent enough for £80, and came with some instruction books and a little amp. Had it for a couple of years before buying an Ibanez Roadstar from the guy next door who was upgrading to a Jem.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6270
    @Bellycaster

I think it had a coil tpa didn't it? I remember it being pretty versatile.

Moon Music - yep, remember it well. And Academy of Sound, Sound COntrol. Don't know how Wavelength has kept going tbh, they never have much in that interests me, good blokes though. RIchTone is my shop of choice, love it.Good gear, good lads, good prices, and not too far from me either. Perfect.

WIzard guitars is good, he has some good old stuff in there, but is v expensive. Needs to be though, with that location.
  •  

My sympathies. I knew a guy with one of those back when I was on my first guitar (MIK Squier Strat, which played like a dream in comparison). It was truly horrible. How you kept playing I have no idea.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2489
    My second guitar was a Marlin Sidewinder, around 86 I would guess.
    My first was a Kay which I would say now was more of a toy. Holy Sh*& I found one:-
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Retro-Kay-Teisco-Red-White-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-/361118142683?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item54145190db
    You can see why I considered a Marlin as a huge step up!
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I had a Jedson Telecaster, paid £7 for it. Aside from the fact I now know I was robbed, it was enough to put me off Tele's for life.

• speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    The one I'm playing now lol. A riks strat copy cost me 50 quid second hand not long ago, needs some better pots as the tone ones are kinda poo but I really like it sounds nice unplugged and even better through my bargain marshall amp I got off here
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    The Mighty Marlin Sidewinder. It was shit. But it was metallic grey, and had a wibbly wobbly thing on it, which is VERY important when you can't play fuck all. As our 6 yr old can currently demonstrate.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3098
    Squier affinity strat back in 1998
  • Mine was actually a good guitar, unlike nearly all the junk you guys had.
    Epiphone Led Paul Standard in cherry burst. Bought mail order from Coda, and cost about £310, in 1997 I think. I was into Oasis so that was obviously an influence.
    Had a beefier bridge pickup installed and coil tapped both. When I got tired of the looks I made it more grunge with black plastics but the weight of it eventually made me sell for about £180 to a Romanian bloke who travelled by train with his Dutch girlfriend. It was a very odd selling experience because everything told me they were dodgy but he paid my asking price and it was weirdly pleasant to meet the guy.
  • The cheapest Strat copy in the shop. A horrible sunburst that cost £49 in 1985. My little brother sold it in 1988 when I moved to London, so it's long gone.

Can't remember what make it was, but I remember Liverpool footballer Jim Beglin, who was my neighbour, taking me and my mate to the shop to buy it.

• Phil_aka_Pip;419577" said:
    Nunogilberto said:

Encore Strat

Do they ever play in tune?
    Mine always did - until I started messing with the saddles and trem!
    Had one of these as my first as well, and mine would never stay in tune! haha Wish I'd known back then how to block of the tremolo, as even the slightest wobble of it, and the whole thing lost its tuning! Can't actually remember what I did with mine.. might have traded it in against my next one!  
  • Snap said:
    @Bellycaster

I think it had a coil tpa didn't it? I remember it being pretty versatile.

Moon Music - yep, remember it well. And Academy of Sound, Sound COntrol. Don't know how Wavelength has kept going tbh, they never have much in that interests me, good blokes though. RIchTone is my shop of choice, love it.Good gear, good lads, good prices, and not too far from me either. Perfect.

WIzard guitars is good, he has some good old stuff in there, but is v expensive. Needs to be though, with that location.
    @Snap

I think it did yes, it had the toggles switches, can't remember much else to be honest.

Academy of Sound was formerly known as Carlsboro Music wasn't it? Was Sound Control the one on Paternoster Row?

Steel City Guitars was short lived on London Road too. I rarely go in Wavelength, but I do like Richtone. Had a nosey at Wizard Website the other week and he has some good stuff although I'd never be able to tell outright if a Vintage Guitar was authentic or not. I know it's wrong of me, but I always have doubts in my mind regarding vintage stuff. I'm a suspicious bugger aren't I?

:-)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6270
    no, I think your suspicians are bang on, you never know, as they say, if it looks too good to be true, it usually is etc.

Steel City Guitars was terrible  - it had no stock and hummed of BO.