Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What was your first electric guitar?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23615
    For Christmas 1980 I received a Japanese Les Paul Custom copy with a bolt-on neck, non-functioning tuners and weird pickups which only looked like humbuckers.  It was called an "Arbiter" but there was actually no name at all on the headstock.  

It wasn't very good, but thanks nonetheless to my parents for buying it (together with a Laney Mighty Eight amp).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • One of these:

Mine was also missing the trem arm and spring. The switches had a tendency to cut out with heavy strumming - down was off, and I think I took it apart and swapped them round. Paid £25 for it in about 1982, sold it on about 18 months later for £20. The pickguard snapped when my bandmate stepped on my lead.

I'm surprised I stuck to it, considering how poor these things were. There's a couple on ebay now for £150! 
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • Mine was my dad's old guitar one of these:

Except it had been badly repainted with cheap emulsion.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Aria stg003 in salmon pink. To be that naive again.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

Found it!

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/chillidoggy/Audition_zps1be31358.jpg

Audition Top Twenty. If you passed an audition with one of these, I'd be surprised. Even the cheap-shit guitars these days are miles better than this kind of firewood.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    Another from the Woolworths Audition Range, only mine was the semi (which should have given me the clue)!
    Like this (not mine but the same as).

And proof that I gigged it back in the 70s. I replaced both single coil PUs with dodgy cheap Humbuckers but then cut an extra opening to but a single between them. Took out the spring and removed the arm of the unstable Vibrato system.
  • @ESBlonde dig the bass player's flares, man ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
    Skipped said:
    A late fifties Roger semi-solid made by Wenzel Rossmeisl. Just like the one below but with 2 pickups. Wenzel's son was called Roger - hence the name. Roger became a designer at Rickenbacker. Guitar had a seriously huge neck which to me became "completely normal". This helped later on when I got interested in vintage Gibson guitars.......

Wenzel Rossmeisl
    Wenzel Rossmeisl
    Wenzel Rossmeisl
    Wenzel Rossmeisl
    There was a Roger Rickenbacker copy on gumtree last year for £300, I didnt go for it, possibly should have........
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1770

A black Hondo Les Paul Copy - which i bought from a mate for £15.

It was missing a control knob & a machine head.

It really was a terrible guitar, but I loved it and it got me playing.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11519
    edited November 2014
    Black Kay Les Paul Copy.  Neck warped within 6 months.  Took it back and got it replaced.  Sold it before that neck could warp and just played acoustic for the next 4 or 5 years.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
    My First Electric Guitar was a Satellite or some other cheap brand, got it for £30 in Dec 1986, it was kind of SG shaped and Cherry/Black burst, it had switches more akin to a Fender Jaguar though.

Never mind my first Guitar though, I think your "First Guitar" was actually my "Second Guitar".

Bloody Hell mate, I knew I had a Kay with a small "Steinberger" type body but I only had vague recollections of the actual shape of the body. I did recall all the toggles etc though.

Your photo has brought it all back to me and has indeed confirmed that "THAT" model was my second Guitar, it might even be "the same one".

I have to say that I didn't nick your Guitar though, I bought it from Moon Music (now defunct) in Sheffield circa 1987 for about £50 I think. I then sold it back and "upgraded" to a Marlin Sidewinder, which were about £90, later the same year. 

Marlin Sidewinders, what a pile of Shite they were, but they looked just like a Strat to a 15 year old.

The Kay was actually a good playable Guitar.

Would be interesting to know if you are from around Sheffield as it might have solved the mystery of where your Guitar ended up.

:-D
    He is from Sheffield, small world innit
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    edited November 2014

One the same theme, my first amp and cab was a Woolies Audition. I could never understand why it sounded so shit, but I had to persevere as my old man wouldn't buy me a better one. The amp clipped onto the cab below with a couple of over-centre catches. Not long after I bought it, I'd strapped it to the carrier on my pushbike to go to my mate's house but it fell off going down the high street and a bus ran it over. The old man clouted me when I got back home, he thought I'd done it deliberately.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/chillidoggy/009_2_zps84aed2a8.jpg

• A Kawai S170, which I still have. The neck is like a lump of 4x2, but it sounds great.

My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    Skipped said:
    A late fifties Roger semi-solid made by Wenzel Rossmeisl. Just like the one below but with 2 pickups. Wenzel's son was called Roger - hence the name. Roger became a designer at Rickenbacker. Guitar had a seriously huge neck which to me became "completely normal". This helped later on when I got interested in vintage Gibson guitars.......

Wenzel Rossmeisl
    Wenzel Rossmeisl
    Wenzel Rossmeisl
    Wenzel Rossmeisl
    Really? I would have thought it was about the same size as half a pencil, going by the harmonica behind it.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6270
    My First Electric Guitar was a Satellite or some other cheap brand, got it for £30 in Dec 1986, it was kind of SG shaped and Cherry/Black burst, it had switches more akin to a Fender Jaguar though.

Never mind my first Guitar though, I think your "First Guitar" was actually my "Second Guitar".

Bloody Hell mate, I knew I had a Kay with a small "Steinberger" type body but I only had vague recollections of the actual shape of the body. I did recall all the toggles etc though.

Your photo has brought it all back to me and has indeed confirmed that "THAT" model was my second Guitar, it might even be "the same one".

I have to say that I didn't nick your Guitar though, I bought it from Moon Music (now defunct) in Sheffield circa 1987 for about £50 I think. I then sold it back and "upgraded" to a Marlin Sidewinder, which were about £90, later the same year. 

Marlin Sidewinders, what a pile of Shite they were, but they looked just like a Strat to a 15 year old.

The Kay was actually a good playable Guitar.

Would be interesting to know if you are from around Sheffield as it might have solved the mystery of where your Guitar ended up.

:-D
    that's funny! Yeah, it was a good guitar, I loved it, it was powerful too, and as I remember, sounded good. Mate, I moved here in 93, I'm originally from Blackburn. Bought the guitar from ED Brown's. It got nicked whilst I was at university in Newcastle. Some Geordie tike probably chucked in a skip or sold it for weed. Shame. I muchly enjoyed carrying it over my back, in the case (llooked like a shotgun) into the pub after band practice. I really did think I was rock n roll personified. What with me winklepickers and spiky goth mullet, kin ell I was convinved I was in the Cult.
  • One of these:

Mine was also missing the trem arm and spring. The switches had a tendency to cut out with heavy strumming - down was off, and I think I took it apart and swapped them round. Paid £25 for it in about 1982, sold it on about 18 months later for £20. The pickguard snapped when my bandmate stepped on my lead.

I'm surprised I stuck to it, considering how poor these things were. There's a couple on ebay now for £150! 
    Yep, had exactly same one. Egg-slicer action, but I managed to learn a few songs on it. Awful thing but it started me off so can't hate on them too much.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12512
    edited November 2014
    musicegbdf;419481" said:
    Top twenty from Woolworths , in 1972. Horrible...
    Me too. Vile things! Just had a look and mine was exactly the same as Chilli's. The slide switches for the pickups were a nightmare: who thought of putting them right where you were likely to knock them onto "silent" when you were playing? Cant remember what happened to mine, I know the tuners were completely knackered by the time I got rid of it though.

• Phil_aka_Pip;419577" said:
    Nunogilberto said:

Encore Strat

Do they ever play in tune?
    Mine always did - until I started messing with the saddles and trem!
    boogieman said:
    musicegbdf;419481" said:
    Top twenty from Woolworths , in 1972. Horrible...
    The slide switches for the pickups were a nightmare: who thought of putting them right where you were likely to knock them onto "silent" when you were playing?

Probably the same bloke that put the Strat volume control in the way!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom