Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Jools tonight

What's Hot

Comments

• ewal;42797" said:
    EricTheWeary said:

chrisj1602;42282" said:rpr said:

1. think it was a Reverend-http://www.reverendguitars.com/category/guitar/

I'd love to try a Reverend but the UK distribution seems pretty poor.

one shop!

I gambled and bought a Reverend Manta Ray on ebay when it was a shop in Liverpool that was the UK distributor. I got it cheap as it was an introductory offer. It's so good I bought a mint condition Club King about a year ago. Both great guitars. I feel I'm doing them a dis-service because I don't get a chance to play them outside the house...
    I could help with that problem...
    :bz
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• mart said:
    And was Janelle Monae's guitarist really playing a black Brian May copy? :-O
    I saw her band last year and he was playing a white Les Paul (custom iirc although that may be wrong).  Pretty meh show I thought, plenty of energy and a very slick band, but not much subtlety or finesse and with one or two exceptions like Tightrope the material wasn't as strong as it should have been from someone who's created such a big splash.  I find her manic theatre-kid narcissism pretty off-putting too. Obviously you need a plenty of ego to be that kind of performer, and I'm normally willing to make allowances, but I found her sense of her own fabulousness a grating all the same.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5213
    That was much the impression I got just from the clip on Jools. The monochromatic look was striking, but that only gets you so far.

I was just struck by the guitar as I don't recall seeing anyone (other than May) playing a red special, let alone a "black special".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewal said:
    EricTheWeary said:
    chrisj1602;42282" said:
    rpr said:

one shop!
    I gambled and bought a Reverend Manta Ray on ebay when it was a shop in Liverpool that was the UK distributor. I got it cheap as it was an introductory offer. It's so good I bought a mint condition Club King about a year ago. Both great guitars. I feel I'm doing them a dis-service because I don't get a chance to play them outside the house...
    Another Pixies connection.  B-)

Thanks for the heads up by the way, I didn't realise they had played on the show.

Probably my favourite band of all time. Probably. 

Saw them in 88 when I was 15 and it was the best gig I ever went to. 
  • j_rj_r Frets: 4
    mart said:

I was just struck by the guitar as I don't recall seeing anyone (other than May) playing a red special, let alone a "black special".
    There's a picture and description here:

https://twitter.com/KELLINDO

• mart said:
    And was Janelle Monae's guitarist really playing a black Brian May copy? :-O
    I saw her band last year and he was playing a white Les Paul (custom iirc although that may be wrong).  Pretty meh show I thought, plenty of energy and a very slick band, but not much subtlety or finesse and with one or two exceptions like Tightrope the material wasn't as strong as it should have been from someone who's created such a big splash.  I find her manic theatre-kid narcissism pretty off-putting too. Obviously you need a plenty of ego to be that kind of performer, and I'm normally willing to make allowances, but I found her sense of her own fabulousness a grating all the same.
    Exactly what I thought. Running around like a 5 year old who's had too many Smarties can't hide the material. I know she's supposed to be the fairy godmother of modern rnb, but it ain't my style, I'm afraid. Give me Ruby Turner any day. I saw her in Warwick with the Jools Holland orchestra last year and she was just awesome.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • Why do they think it's clever to throw an expensive mic on the floor ? Just waiting for Tony Joe White !
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited September 2013
    Now that's a guitar strap! (the snake)
  • ewalewal Frets: 2813
    ewal said:
    EricTheWeary said:
    chrisj1602;42282" said:
    rpr said:

one shop!

Thanks for the heads up by the way, I didn't realise they had played on the show.

Never thought of the Pixies connection before - cheers:) I first saw round about 88 too, although the gig was cancelled after about 1 song because the stage was about to collapse. I've got tickets for their show in November - fingers crossed it's not similarly afflicted...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ewal said:
    EricTheWeary said:
    chrisj1602;42282" said:
    rpr said:

one shop!

Never thought of the Pixies connection before - cheers:) I first saw round about 88 too, although the gig was cancelled after about 1 song because the stage was about to collapse. I've got tickets for their show in November - fingers crossed it's not similarly afflicted...
  • martmart Frets: 5213
    j_r;43706" said:
    There's a picture and description here:

https://twitter.com/KELLINDO
    Ooh, thanks for finding that! :)
  • Last week's show was just dreary, just catching up with last night's now and its fun. The Monae(?) woman has a terribly weak voice but the band were good and she was fun. TJW in good form and I always like the Pixies more than I think I'm going to.
    But, oh, can I be the guitarist in the Savages when I grow up? Please? 8->
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I quite like that Chvrches band.
  • I quite like that Chvrches band.
    Me too. I've got tickets for the Ritz on 14 October.
    AuldReekie said:

I I have a Reverend Warhawk 3900, repaled the stock P90s (sounded like generic Far East p/ups to be honest) with BK P90s. Its a nice guitar, corners have been cut in the right places but I think this is a brand that is hyped. In terms of construction it is not better than my PRS SE1 and way behind my McCarty Soapbar It lacks the bite and sustain of either of these PRSi as well.
    This is the sort of thing I don't know about having only played them at home;) They feel great, stay in tune, look good and sound magic, but for all I know they might sound like a lot of other guitars.
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 319
    I thought Pixies absolutely slayed it! Great stuff.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Just watched it.

Tony Joe White - excellent.
    That Man & the Savages - excellent.
    Hugh Laurie - very good.

The rest was pretty poor. The Female Amphetamine Elvis was terrible, the Pixies were ok, but their lead guitarist cannot play, and that electro lot need to go back to the 1980s.

So, a mixed bag.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    Lixarto said:
    ...the Pixies were ok, but their lead guitarist cannot play, and that electro lot need to go back to the 1980s.

So, a mixed bag.
    I wish I couldn't play as well as Joey Santiago can't play:-) Some people would say Kim Deal couldn't play bass either - including Kim Deal:-)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    :D Have a Lol!
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1656
    edited October 2013
    Lixarto said:
    Just watched it.

Tony Joe White - excellent.
    That Man & the Savages - excellent.
    Hugh Laurie - very good.

The rest was pretty poor. The Female Amphetamine Elvis was terrible, the Pixies were ok, but their lead guitarist cannot play, and that electro lot need to go back to the 1980s.

So, a mixed bag.
    He looks horribly uncomfortable up on stage and I have a suspicion he gets the yips. 

I remember back around the time Pixies were going, someone, maybe Holdsworth, stated that he wasn't a 'noisemaker guitarist like Dave Navarro'. He wasn't being sniffy, just drawing an honest distinction between rock recordings and technical mastery.

I think Joey has made some pretty superb noise over the years, in the studio at least. 

A really good example would be when the Pixies played Letterman and the house band joined in, their guitarist threw in a technically proficient solo that sounded horribly ersatz.