Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Work Christmas Do's

What's Hot

Comments

• ROOGROOG Frets: 562

The ones where partners used to be invited were the worst, I'd only know 50% of the people there at best. Nowadays it would be nearer to 15%

The best ones were the big factory parties, some how they managed to coach most of us in to a big 'low rent' venue. They were very loosely managed do's

Those were the days!   

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Our official work do fell by the wayside some years back. used to be a nice meal with partners invited, but when money was tight it got scrapped and it never came back.
    However, our office is part of a small number of converted barns on a still-working farm, and the farmer and his wife throw us a Christmas lunch - superb food and free booze, and they practically force to have seconds of everything. most years Ive two main courses, two puddings, coffee, cheese and biscuits....More than makes up for not having the official one.
    oh and our office manager's birthday is Christmas Eve so his turn to take us to the Toby Carvery for carvery sandwiches falls nicely in time for Crimble.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6423
    With some people whose company you enjoy - a hoot.

Enforced jollity with vague acquaintances (1 bottle of plonk between 3, and a rubber chicken meal) - purgatory
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ours was in Brussels...damn good time was had by all. Had a bloody fantastic meal here:

I'm not really the travelling type, but I have to say that Brussels was a fantastic place. The light show in the main square while they played the Nocturnes was something quite special (you probably don't want to do that drunk, though).
    <space for hire>
  • TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    Not a minute more than they pay me for.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6423
    Ours was in Brussels...damn good time was had by all. Had a bloody fantastic meal here:

I'm not really the travelling type, but I have to say that Brussels was a fantastic place. The light show in the main square while they played the Nocturnes was something quite special (you probably don't want to do that drunk, though).
    Away from the Grand Place and Rue Boucher - it's pretty dull - I had the misfortune of living there for a year.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Ours was in Brussels...damn good time was had by all. Had a bloody fantastic meal here:

But you're self-employed in a one-man business...............

:D (Yes, I'm in one of those moods...........)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    Not a big fan of works pissups. I take the three ladies from my dept to a nice pub for dinner. There is no company wide party. Ava Braun in reception has arranged for all the office staff to have afternoon tea in the Mill Hotel this Friday (at a cost of £18 each!!!) I'm going as we can go home as soon as it's over.
    I think the hassle of transport puts me off to a degree, but I can't remember a good christmas party for decades now.
  • I'm going to mine. Luckily I work with my best mate though so I'll just hang out with her if the others get dull.
    Use Your Brian
  • SRichSRich Frets: 764
    edited December 2014
    ESBlonde said: I think the hassle of transport puts me off to a degree
    Transport / driving was always a hassle I found. We used to have uproarious wine festooned parties at my place......thankfully though as the workforce has shrunk to an all time low, the Boss is now hiding behind the 'economy' and we're not holding one this year.

He has however just presented us with a 'nifty' apiece but I'm sure his celebrations may extend beyond that........however I'm grateful we don't have to subject ourselves to another bit of forced jollification.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16081
    ...and don'ts
    tae be or not tae be
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I love mine, it's me, my wife, 3 girls who work for us and a handful of guys who hang around the tattoo shop. It gets very messy, very quickly, most bar staff know us from our work so drinks from free to cheap. What's not to love :D
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2042
    I love them, but I work with some great people and I'm quite a sociable guy with a few drinks in me.

This year was a black tie formal, Great Gatsby theme, jazz band, photo booth and I was at a table with 9 female colleagues.

Fucking brilliant night! But I've had to destroy the photo evidence...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have 2 on the same evening this year!

The official "jollification" one - Champers and food at a comedy club with an awful professional scouser comedienne and an ABBA tribute act! I'll be guzzling the booze and food before the acts start, slip out and head to...

The unofficial one - people from work who can actually stand each other's company without being a two-faced twat for boozing, and more boozing.

Could work out well in the end :D
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • Nothing organised by work, nothing even for the whole building, no time given to attend anything. Manager's xmas lunch tomorrow but paying for ourselves so we're going to a Thai place, talk work and get indigestion.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I was never a big fan, most I've been to have been pretty dire. There's a big official office-wide one but I don't know anybody who goes to that. I'm in a job now where everybody works alone and many work from home and only come in once or twice a week, so it's not a very sociable job at the best of times. there's people in my group of 24 who I haven't even met! We're arranged in loose groups and most groups will go out for a meal. About half my group won't bother and those that go fall into two groups - those who have families and will have driven in and will go home early and the new recruits in their twenties who will probably stay out in some terrible city centre bar until the early hours. I live on my own within walking distance but I have no interest in staying out drinking with people 20 years my junior. I'm not one to do these things in the hope of being seen as a "team player", but I'd prefer to meet up with them and get to know some of them better than be anti-social.
  • Jalapeno said:
    Away from the Grand Place and Rue Boucher - it's pretty dull - I had the misfortune of living there for a year.
    I can understand that...which is why it seems to be a great place to travel to and - subsequently - from ;)

mike_l said:

Not any more, numbnuts. I'm gainfully employed, thankyouverymuch :D
    <space for hire>
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    mike_l said:

Not any more, numbnuts. I'm gainfully employed, thankyouverymuch :D
    They're not numb, at least not since I put the heater on, but thanks for the concern
    :P

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28042
    Sounds pretty glum for a fair few.

I like to look after my staff properly, and Christmas gives me an opportunity to do that.  Obviously, I'll do things during the year too (extra days off, free meals, stuff like that), but my people seem to like the Christmas party so I do that too.

We'll book a decent hotel - somewhere with an excellent restaurant as well as a good bar and comfortable rooms.  That way, anyone who wants to stay over and not worry about driving home or booking taxis can stay over.  Free bar all evening/night/morning naturally!

Next day breakfast is paid for, and they'll usually get the day off too.

Of course, some people have child / dog / goldfish -care to get sorted out (if they want to stay over), so that's all paid for too.

Do I win "nice boss of the year" award??

(the company is just me & MrsTT, but the above is all still true).
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    8reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    Can I work for you @TTony? :D