Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Sydney hostage crisis

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    VimFuego said:

phil, I would ask you not to do that to my posts, I know what I wanted to write and I meant the words I used. I don't do this thing of twisting the words of others to score cheap points and I would ask that you don't do that to my posts.

No personal disrespect intended Vim, but the edit was to show the opposite point of view. I admit to subscribing to that point of view, so I guess what I was doing was stating it while using your template ... it wasn't an attempt to twist, more an attempt to show that if you substitute words and phrases you can get me into bed really easily. I can agree to differ with you if you can agree to teabagging me - etc etc
    So lemme get this straight ... ^ that's okay then?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431
    That is wrong, I feel like poking my eyes with the sharp bit of my E string...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuego said:
    well, I believe the Israeli method is to kill 100 random children, though this may be a matter of consequence,  you can be assured of finding lots of targets in a small space if you target military sites which Hamas has placed where children are likely to congregate, like schools, playgrounds, the beach etc. In an age of austerity, it's a very cost efficient way of making Israel look like the baddies.
    ftfy

So children are fair game (or acceptable collateral) as long as you can achieve your military requirements? 

An interesting thing fact that people ignore when they say "Yeah Israel only bombed that hospital because Hamas were there!" is that both Israel and the west have massive amounts of satellite and spy drone data.  The simple fact is that the hospital (or school etc.) didn't actually move, they were fully aware it was there.  Adopting Israeli tactics in Sydney would have meant firing a cruise missile into the café to ensure the 'terrorist' was 'neutralized' and then explaining all other deaths as being the fault of the 'terrorist' for hiding in a café.

you could say the same about Hamas firing rockets into civilian areas of Israel

why don't we just accept that we have different views of who are the baddies and stop fighting over it?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • frankus said:
    VimFuego said:

phil, I would ask you not to do that to my posts, I know what I wanted to write and I meant the words I used. I don't do this thing of twisting the words of others to score cheap points and I would ask that you don't do that to my posts.

No personal disrespect intended Vim, but the edit was to show the opposite point of view. I admit to subscribing to that point of view, so I guess what I was doing was stating it while using your template ... it wasn't an attempt to twist, more an attempt to show that if you substitute words and phrases you can get me into bed really easily. I can agree to differ with you if you can agree to teabagging me - etc etc
    I don't think it would be "straight" behaviour if he teabagged me or vice-versa
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    frankus said:
    VimFuego said:

Ok? it's fabulous!

no further questiosn m'lud.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankus said:
    frankus said:
    VimFuego said:

Ok? it's fabulous!

no further questiosn m'lud.

case dismissed : counsel is well out of order
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited December 2014

you could say the same about Hamas firing rockets into civilian areas of Israel

But if you did that then you would have to be directly comparing the behaviour of a well known terrorist organisation with that of a world government with a recognised status, vote and the responsibility that comes with that at the UN. I think it's a dangerous path when you start looking to terror organisations to set the standard for acceptable behaviour and actions.

why don't we just accept that we have different views of who are the baddies and stop fighting over it?
    Not fighting Phil, mate.  I completely understand and respect that you have a view which is far from unique.  For the record I don't believe either side in that conflict are the 'baddies', I believe anybody who deliberately kills children is vile. 
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Snap said:

Imk with you on this. Jut come back from the middle east, been there on and off all year, including in Israel during the last war with Gaza.

having spent a lot of time in a few countries over there this year, I think I can make a balanced opinion. One thing that struck me, and I was naiively shocked by it, is that our media doesn't give a balanced view on what's happening either.

Near enough every person I've met in the mid east wants peace and quiet. Seems a few just can't deal with this. I'ts very sad.

I was in Jordan the other week - there's an intersesting place. Having realised that they have very little of theor own natural resources, they invest enormously in education, and have one of the highest literacy rates in the world. AS a consequence, despite being an Arab nation, in the thick of it, geographically, they have relatively little problem with extremism, and they are a largely Sunni muslim society (like IS).

Jordan is a fantastic place , and great people. I am pleased to say I have been on both sides of the Dead Sea. I am sure you must have got some time to go to Petra , but also there is Jerash a place many people miss. Aqaba is also a nice port town, whilst Amman is a busy city.

One of the great places I visited was a Souq in Damascus ( not now of course) .San'a in Yemen is like stepping back 2000 years , and had arabs whistling at us as we were dressed in western cloths.
    Though very polite and as my colleague spoke Arabic we seemed more welcome. Though in Yemen all business seems to be done drinking coffee and chewing Khat.!!

The one thing I would avoid and that is Chop Chop square in Jeddah on a friday unless you are really sick and want to see Sharia law in action..

I have good memories of the Mid east and Africa, though thankfully as I am older now and confine my business travel to Europe and the Med.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • S*£t whilst we have been discussing look at what the Pakistan Taliban have done... What ever the views we are privileged to have , that is a crime against humanity.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15896
    I don't think anyone has said these acts are anything other than horrendous, in fact what we have said is that anyone who deliberately kills children is a despicable person. I sometimes dislike being an atheist cos I would wish an eternity in hell on the people who would deliberately target a school, whether they be a terrorist organisation, a drone pilot or a military commander. But hell doesn't exist, the world is an imperfect place and we have to live with the idea that these murders will generally go unpunished.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited December 2014

More people died in RTA's that day in OZ than terrorism anyway, yet you can joke about people driving badly.

Make a joke about terrorism or Muslims, asylum seekers or illegal immigrants and you are already on -10 points with the lefties.

I personally feel that of you drive a car or buy your food from a supermarket or use plastic products or any oil derived product you have blood on your hands, we all do.  The world's not fair, by making judgemental accusations of others behaviour is a bit rich if you ask me, unless you have your own oil well.

Anyway, about time for another crusade innit?

To be brutally frank, the Unicef adverts of Syrian children freezing to death are beginning to wear with me.  It's not my problem that Assad isn't still in power and the place is now a hell hole, so why should I cough up for them?

Problem as I see it is that assimilation to most people smacks of dictatorship and nationalism.  Yet as a country we have to operate nationalistically, even that includes the EU block, otherwise we would be mining our own coal, rather than fooking other countries over.

So we may as well get assimilated and have a twenty year dictatorship and launch another crusade, it will happen if we want it or not, it will just evolve.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    Sambostar said:
    To be brutally frank,
    Not in my name, matey-bob ;)
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    edited December 2014
    Jordan is a fantastic place , and great people. I am pleased to say I have been on both sides of the Dead Sea. I am sure you must have got some time to go to Petra , but also there is Jerash a place many people miss. Aqaba is also a nice port town, whilst Amman is a busy city.

One of the great places I visited was a Souq in Damascus ( not now of course) .San'a in Yemen is like stepping back 2000 years , and had arabs whistling at us as we were dressed in western cloths.
    Though very polite and as my colleague spoke Arabic we seemed more welcome. Though in Yemen all business seems to be done drinking coffee and chewing Khat.!!

The one thing I would avoid and that is Chop Chop square in Jeddah on a friday unless you are really sick and want to see Sharia law in action..

Isn't that like saying "It's a lovely restaurant except for when the waiter pulled down his trousers and pissed in my soup"?
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Different countries.
  • Snap said:

Imk with you on this. Jut come back from the middle east, been there on and off all year, including in Israel during the last war with Gaza.

having spent a lot of time in a few countries over there this year, I think I can make a balanced opinion. One thing that struck me, and I was naiively shocked by it, is that our media doesn't give a balanced view on what's happening either.

Near enough every person I've met in the mid east wants peace and quiet. Seems a few just can't deal with this. I'ts very sad.

I was in Jordan the other week - there's an intersesting place. Having realised that they have very little of theor own natural resources, they invest enormously in education, and have one of the highest literacy rates in the world. AS a consequence, despite being an Arab nation, in the thick of it, geographically, they have relatively little problem with extremism, and they are a largely Sunni muslim society (like IS).

I have good memories of the Mid east and Africa, though thankfully as I am older now and confine my business travel to Europe and the Med.

Another +1 for Jordan here. Brilliant place and lovely people. Jarash is phenomenal, and Karak pretty good too (though a horrendous place to drive on market day!). Petra is obviously fantastic, and Amman has charm, although again I don't recommend driving there...!

I'd have loved to go to Syria before it got flattened, and I've heard parts of Iran are beautiful. I won't go to Yemen though- even the hardiest "do anything" types I know won't go to Yemen any more :(
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24709
    I think that staying the fuck away from all places that have such extreme conservatism is probably safest.  You won't catch me going anywhere near Surrey.  It's just common sense.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ^ Was going to LOL that, then I realised it was true, so a Wisdom instead.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Honestly... I know it's reactionary, but this sort of thing makes me feel intensely pro-colonialism. Fucking barbarians shooting up schools. Absolute cuntwombles.