I'm clearly in a minority of 1. Queen with Adam L content

What's Hot
Watched about 20 mins of it last night before turning over for Jools. This morning I checked Facebook as you do to see loads of posts along the lines of: Freddy lives again, Freddie's shoes filled, awesome, cried with joy ... Etc etc. Now I'm fully aware that im going thru a massive grumpy barstard phase but good lord I thought it was appalling. Like a Glee version of queen.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I am shocked that when I read the title of the thread I thought you'd be a minority by saying "I loved it.".  You are not alone.  Freddie's dead = Queen is dead.  Get over it Bri & Rog!!!!
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72345
    Don't worry, you're not alone.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Have it on iPlayer at the moment. He's okay but a bit shrill, just sings without any character and throws in those mock operatic wails all over the place to compensate.
    Brian - do your shirt up, that's slightly unpleasant mate. :-&
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6147
    tFB Trader
    i was watching this and to be fair he has a great voice--- he is no freddie mercury though. so much so that i put queen live in montreal on instead!!!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Love a bit of hootenanny much better than that abysmal queen rehash.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 333
    I also thought it was dreadful - an awful parody with that smug little shit standing there grinning like the songs were his.

• If ever two guys were living on past deeds its May and Taylor. Queen Is over, get a new band or retire.
  • vizviz Frets: 10696
    I think he's great though looking at that performance last night I don't think it was his best.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • If ever two guys were living on past deeds its May and Taylor. Queen Is over, get a new band or retire.

Although you're completely right it certainly isn't the low point of their desperation -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIV2SkMwesU

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1559
    It was awful. Surely there are better vocalists that Bri and Rog could have got for the job?
  • I thought it was great. There will never be another Freddie but he interpreted the songs well, had the range to sing them almost effortlessly (unlike Paul Rodgers who really didn't fit) and had the presence to front a band as well-loved as Queen. As for Taylor and May, why not? They wrote half the songs, and some of Queen's best ones at that. Why shouldn't they play their own material? And Brian's tone was utterly immense. It was a pleasure to see him at work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I don't have any problem with Brian and Roger playing queen songs - it's very sad the Freddie isn't still with us but imho they are entitled to play the songs and if it means people get to see them then great - the singers they've worked with have had great voices. 

Whether it's right to call it Queen is where I'm not so sure.  
    iirc I'm sure I've seen more than one queen doc that said Freddie was close to leaving a few times - if he had left, would they have been wrong to get another singer?   A lot of bands have done the same.        Something about the way it's marketed makes be uncomfortable but that's the way of the industry I guess.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    edited January 2015
    If ever two guys were living on past deeds its May and Taylor. Queen Is over, get a new band or retire.
    I kind of agree with this.

While I am not a big fan, I saw Queen in 1986, and later with Paul Rodgers (oh dear - he's not even the best singer from Teesside, never saw the appeal tbh).

As Geo Harrison said to Keef c1990: "I'm so envious, you've still got your band." While I don't begrudge anyone a living, I do think Brian and Roger have made some dubious choices and perhaps John Deacon made the right one.

Gilmour made some embarrasing comments about the Rolling Stones being too old to be touring just before doing exactly the same thing himself. What a fucking hipocrite.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Still, getting a good look at the Brian May Guitars range!
    Brian is on top form and they are great songs, it just would be much better if the Queen logo wasn't on the drum kit.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Lambert is a good singer in his own right if you like that style but is to theatrical and flouncy in the wrong way for this setup. It doesn't work.

looks like two old men jamming at a youth club.

The Paul Rodgers lineup had more clout when I saw that show but still should have really been left behind once Freddie passed.

May and Taylor don't need the money that's for sure. Half the time it looks like May has better things to be doing whilst on stage but they clearly still have pound signs in their eyes.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Adam Lambert was disappointing with the amount of energy and passion he failed to put into the first 5 songs. That seemed to change when they did Show Must Go On and through the second half of the gig. But prior to that he was looking like a warmup rehearsal for Glee or suchlike. 

Saw him with the band at Hammersmith on the last tour and he was actually good (and it was good to be in front of Breian's backline again). I felt that he fitted the band better than Paul Rogers who was somehow too much of a blokey bloke for that role (his singing was good though).

But nothing and nobody will replace Freddie - either in range, skill or passion for the songs he wrote or worked on.
    Saw him 7 times and each time was magical.
    It was the mix of his love of so many musical forms that shone though - from the ballet and opera, to the RnB to the Gilbert and Sullivan operetta to the balls out rock - he connected them with a certain vitality every time he took to the stage.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I thought it was great! It was a little radio 1 afied... Greg James always had that wowee everything is awesome and I'm hip and cool vibe. Like when a middle aged man recognises a word a young person says then uses it all the time....

To compare anyone to Freddie Mercury, in my opinion, is just unfair!

The boy can sing for sure, give a little credit on his own merit, not queens.

Lol, bit of a queen himself though ain't he!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Watching now.

I don't see why Taylor and May shouldn't play if they want to Plenty of people want to see them.

Adam Lambert doesn't have Freddie's charisma but then neither does anyone else on the planet. He does have incredible technical ability and he is pretty and camp so he is a good choice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixote;462476" said:
    Watching now.

I don't see why Taylor and May shouldn't play if they want to Plenty of people want to see the.
    Agreed but it shouldn't be under the 'Queen' banner
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    I doubt it's an option.

I suspect the tour funding would be conditional on using the Queen name.