I'm clearly in a minority of 1. Queen with Adam L content

What's Hot

Comments

• Adam Lambert is good, but no one will ever truly replace Freddie.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11901
    I'm really having trouble understanding the negativity expressed
    The remaining 2 members of Queen shouldn't call themselves "Queen". Really?
    It's not really a covers band is it? You still have one of the two unique sounding members there, if people want to hear those songs, who better to perform them.
    Adam Lambert did a good job I think

btw I was channel flicking too, and there were far worse performances on Jools Holland
    Ronnie Spector was awful, and Wilko sounded dreadful, great to see him so well though

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297

Brian and Roger still have it, I actually enjoyed seeing them on their solo projects more than with Queen, and I like Queen and grew up on them a lot.

They are damned with anything they try to do as Freddie is impossible to replace, Adam is clearly a talented singer and has thrown himself into the camp showman role to replace Freddie, but he can't do it, no-one can.

I don't like all the operatic trills such as the somebody to love stuff he tried to pull off, but that's him trying to show off his vocal capability to show he's not a hired gun (which he is).

I'm glad they are doing stuff, Brian and Roger should be out doing stuff and they clearly still love it, but really no matter who they get to front it will fail because they cannot be Freddie.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I started to watch it and initially I was impressed but after a while I got bored.

Not sure why but that was my reaction.

The guy can sing. He also seems to have quite a good stage presence. But I got bored.

May be I'm also in the grumpy bastard phase :)
  • ToneControl;462497" said:
    I'm really having trouble understanding the negativity expressedThe remaining 2 members of Queen shouldn't call themselves "Queen". Really?
    Yes really.

When you're frontman and main songwriter dies or leaves its a totally different ball game.

Guns n roses as it is now should not be using the name either. But if slash were to call his band GNR it is even worse.

Half of the band or one original member in the case of GNR doesn't mean shit and is a total misuse of the name.

John Deacon had the right idea in stepping away from it all.

It should read 'May and Taylor featuring Adam Lambert' playing the songs of Queen
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Yes really.

When you're frontman and main songwriter dies or leaves its a totally different ball game.

It's total different if some dies compared to someone leaving.

With the utmost respect, when someone passes, does it then mean that Queen passes too? Even if it was the singer.  The rest of the band were famous in their own right, Queen wasn't just Mercury.

When someone leaves the band, there is a disagreement of some sort which people can sort out.

Out of interest, does anyone know John Deacons view on it all?  Is he not part of this because he doesn't agree? Or perhaps cba touring
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited January 2015
    joeyowen said:
    Yes really.

It's total different if some dies compared to someone leaving.

With the utmost respect, when someone passes, does it then mean that Queen passes too? Even if it was the singer.  

Yes its game over. The band was those 4 guys and no matter how much anyone tries to sugar coat it,  its done and dusted at that point.

• It didnt work for me - although vocally he was good there was something about lamberts performance i didnt like at all.
  • vizviz Frets: 10697
    ToneControl;462497" said:
    I'm really having trouble understanding the negativity expressedThe remaining 2 members of Queen shouldn't call themselves "Queen". Really?
    Yes really.

Guns n roses as it is now should not be using the name either. But if slash were to call his band GNR it is even worse.

Half of the band or one original member in the case of GNR doesn't mean shit and is a total misuse of the name.

John Deacon had the right idea in stepping away from it all.

It should read 'May and Taylor featuring Adam Lambert' playing the songs of Queen

Taylor May'd.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11901
    so Pink Floyd should have ended when Syd Barrett left? I don't agree

Anyway the vast majority of bands carry on with the name, with even only one or sometimes no original members
    May & Taylor are not breaking any convention or dishonouring their lost bandmate as far as I can see
    I think it would be less appropriate if they avoided using the name "Queen"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72361
    There are no original Sugababes in the current line-up. Does it matter?

[/Devil's Avocado :) ]

For me, Queen died with Freddie because he was such a huge part of the character of the band, regardless that the others all contributed a great deal. In the same way as INXS died with Michael Hutchence. Neither should have been revived under the same name with a different singer.

There's a big difference between Brian and Roger creating a new band with a new singer and bassist and even playing some Queen songs, and what they're doing now…. which is a travesty, in my opinion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I was never a queen fan to begin with, but can understand the quality and how special the band was when at their peak. I would have thought that after almost 30 years May would have one something new by now, or was Queen Feddie Mercury only, if so then it really should be put to bed.
    It's cliche, and no one will have the answer here

But don't we think Freddie would have wanted it to carry on?  I'm sure he had chance to speak to others regarding this as he knew what was going to happen.

I'm not sure if he had said, call it a day/get a new band etc... they would have ignored that?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72361
    I would have expected Brian and Roger to have wanted to do more *new* stuff by now. OK, they have each done some solo projects and occasional collaborations, but nothing really outstanding or long-lasting, I don't think.

Queen really was far more than the sum of the parts, and of those Freddie was a slightly larger part than the others - and that's why what they're doing now seems so inadequate.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Considering the amount of writing they did, I'm a bit surprised they have done so little new stuff (that I'm aware of)  as well.  

I don't get why people talk about Queen differently to other bands that lose a member - unless I've missed it, I haven't heard these comments about other bands.  People might say they prefer a previous lineup but rarely say they should quit.

I'm just watching it now - he's good a good voice, but I preferred Paul Rodgers.
    They have so many 'hits' though and people want to watch that, but I agree some newer stuff wouldn't go amiss, I think everything I saw last night was from their heyday 

If they did new songs instead, they wouldn't be playing the venues they are now mind, and at least they are enjoying it
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10273
    I posted in the new year thread while watching the show last night that I thought Adam was a bit of a knob but was probably a bit harsh ( I was rather pished ).Its hard not to compare him with Freddie,though I will admit he's very good singer he just comes across as a bit cocky to me.
    To be fair though,guy's living the dream and he was chosen by Brian and Roger so he must be doing something right.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17614
    tFB Trader
    Here is a hypothetical question:

Sabbath without Ozzy
    AC/DC without Bon Scott
    Alice in Chains without Layne Staley
    Genesis without Peter Gabriel
    Fleetwood Mac without Peter Green

Should those bands have split up?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Just saw a few clips on Youtube.

Lambert is a good singer but all the "Freddie lives" stuff is rubbish. 

The thing I don't like about Lambert is that I think he camps it up too much.  Yes, Freddie was camp, but Lambert over does it and goes beyond what Freddie did on stage IMO.  
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17614
    tFB Trader
    The thing I don't like about Lambert is that I think he camps it up too much.  Yes, Freddie was camp, but Lambert over does it and goes beyond what Freddie did on stage IMO.  
    I think he is just being himself. 

He is that camp when he does his own music. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom