I'm clearly in a minority of 1. Queen with Adam L content

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    George was a very obvious choice at the time - he had the status ( including being known in the US), he was known as a big Queen fan, he did the best performance at the Mercury tribute and he had that mix of camp and seriousness. Queen balanced a lot of elements and Rogers and Lambert only really play to some of those.
    In interview when May names his favourite guitarists they are fairly straight blues rock - Hendrix, Gallagher, Angus Young - so a straight forward blues rock project with Rogers could have been great and it had started at the Strat Pack which was basically that.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    Seeing as how 50% of the Queen sound is Brian May, I don't have a problem with him carrying on doing the same material and playing out as Queen. I wonder if we'd be having the same conversation if Freddie was alive and they'd replaced the guitarist?

I watched it and thought it was pretty good. Lambert isn't Freddie, but then nobody else is either. He made a good job of the songs, he's got a good voice, he put enough variety into it so it didn't sound like karaoke and the fans obviously enjoyed it. Fair play to him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6390
    boogieman said:
    Seeing as how 50% of the Queen sound is Brian May, I don't have a problem with him carrying on doing the same material and playing out as Queen. I wonder if we'd be having the same conversation if Freddie was alive and they'd replaced the guitarist?

I watched it and thought it was pretty good. Lambert isn't Freddie, but then nobody else is either. He made a good job of the songs, he's got a good voice, he put enough variety into it so it didn't sound like karaoke and the fans obviously enjoyed it. Fair play to him.
    This, spot on !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited January 2015
    Van Halen carried on quite nicely without David Lee Roth. Mind you, Sammy Hagar never wore those leather chaps with the cut-out arsecheeks, I just don't think he had the same tight buns as Dave.
    I know!  Sammy is a bit older than DLR and DLR is quite fit so he can get away with them.

Adam Lambert does has a nice Rob Halford thing going on with the leather and studs....

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I think Queen overlooked the obvious choice
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1559
    Perhaps a better choice would be Mika - don't laugh, he has the vocal range, is classically trained on piano, is a queen fan and just camp enough!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    People grumbling about Adam Lambert should think themselves lucky the plan for Queen to tour with Robbie Williams didn't come off. Now that would have been a travesty.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    This is Marc Martel bloke I was talking about earlier:

Tbh all I want is a passable Freddie impression, not some parading peacock trying to bring his own stamp to the classic songs, hence he gets my vote over Adam anyday

Thought George Michael was good also though, but only for that one song - not sure he could've handled the rockier songs. Guess we'll never know
    All practice and no theory
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72351
    Perhaps a better choice would be Mika - don't laugh, he has the vocal range, is classically trained on piano, is a queen fan and just camp enough!
    Agreed.
    People grumbling about Adam Lambert should think themselves lucky the plan for Queen to tour with Robbie Williams didn't come off. Now that would have been a travesty.
    Disagreed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    Dr Feelgood is another good example.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22857
    edited January 2015

Only just camp enough?  I think he's overqualified, in that department at least.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul Rodgers was too butch, Lambert is possibly too camp...truth is Freddie was actually sat more centrally between the two than I previously thought. This is the problem with trying to fill his boots.

The problem for me is not the campness, it's that Adam Lambert was just too X-Factor. He didn't bring anything extra to it - any replacement for Freddie needs to be a powerful, charismatic personality in their own right, otherwise it just ends up like karaoke.

I didn't like Queen With Paul Rodgers just because I didn't think his voice and persona suited the music. (I love Free though.)

I liked George Michael.

I would probably have liked Robbie Williams - really. I like Robbie anyway, and I would have loved to hear May and Taylor playing some of *his* songs too - there are plenty that would fit. I'm not sure he has the vocal range for some of the songs - but perhaps that doesn't matter that much.

To me Queen with any new singer is not Queen. So the only way forward is to make it "Queen Plus …" which means picking someone who isn't a Freddie substitute, but an equal (or at least near) who fits with the band - almost certain someone who is already a major established star.

In my opinion!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    To me Queen with any new singer is not Queen. So the only way forward is to make it "Queen Plus …" which means picking someone who isn't a Freddie substitute, but an equal (or at least near) who fits with the band - almost certain someone who is already a major established star.

In my opinion!
    Which is precisely how they are being billed "Queen + Adam Lambert" ...

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Jalapeno said:
    Which is precisely how they are being billed "Queen + Adam Lambert" …
    But Adam Lambert is not a major established star, and not remotely equal to Queen.

I tried watching it again, just to see if I could see any redeeming qualities. No, sorry… it's just karaoke.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Which is precisely how they are being billed "Queen + Adam Lambert" …
    But Adam Lambert is not a major established star, and not remotely equal to Queen.

I tried watching it again, just to see if I could see any redeeming qualities. No, sorry… it's just karaoke.
    While not anything close to equal in fame to Queen I think he is an established star at least in the US. Wikipedia suggests he's had a number one album and sold 2 million records. 
    While not anything close to equal in fame to Queen I think he is an established star at least in the US. Wikipedia suggests he's had a number one album and sold 2 million records. 
    Isn't he kind of like the American Darius? Didn't actually win X-Factor/American Idol/whatever show it was/had a hit single/sold some albums…

Maybe Darius should front Queen next.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I wonder if his nationality is the issue? All the suggested alternatives are British...

Another thing to consider is how he gets on with the rest of the band, and how much they enjoy playing with him. It's not an obvious factor for the rest of us, but it's probably pretty important. They seem very comfortable together. Also it's going to introduce the music of Queen to a new generation, and I think that's great.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Marc Martell was impressive enough to land the Queen Extravaganza gig

I still feel that Adam Lambert let the show down by not giving 100% from the opening note - seemed to warm up as he went along.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

I still feel that Adam Lambert let the show down by not giving 100% from the opening note - seemed to warm up as he went along.
    Spot. On.

Feedback