Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I know it gets joked about a lot, but do you actually have to hide GAS purchases from the wife?

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27304
    I haven't told MrsF the precise value of every single pedal I've bought, but she knows I'm sensible and sell about as much as I buy. Currently have 2 or 3 things incoming and the stuff they'll replace will be sold once the dust settles. I try and buy used or in sales where I can so any hit taken on resale is minimised.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1477
    edited January 2015
    We've just bought a house, so have precisely ZERO money (especially so as I'd agreed to go on a Ski trip before buying said house (the purchase for which pretty much came out of nowhere), so it's not a problem because I don't have any money to buy anything. :(

Edit: BUT, if I DID have money, I wouldn't hide it from her...even if I wanted to, it's impossible, she seems to know everything! Also, I can be a bit impulsive with stuff, so she helps with stopping me doing that so much! 
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    edited January 2015
    I never hide anything from my girlfriend-she likes to spend on shoes/clothes etc and that never bothers me either. We're not spending what we can't afford so why not?

In fact she just bought me an amp (I'll give her the cash back) off gumtree as I don't have the money till the end of the month-which is pretty cool of her. She does keep wondering what she's gonna do with "her amp" though!

She also bought me my last guitar for my Birthday, so she's not bothered with it-I'm not the gear-hound that some people here are though to be honest!

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• Tbh
    Sometimes i have.
    She claims it doesnt bother her but i'll frequently get comments such as "what do you want that for" etc, to which i reply, i dont, drink, smoke or bugger off out with mates and its pretty much my only hobby.
    Its never got to a proper argument, however i sense an underlying annoyance sometimes that i have guitars but i think thats because she thinks i should only have one.
    She has however on a few occassions commented that i should sell the lot and get my dream guitar.
    But would she be happy with me shelling 2 or 3k out on one guitar?
    I'm not so sure.
  • Sometimes I have to hide my wife from my guitars.

A few of the Fenders can get very jealous of her.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Actually, re-reading some of these comments....my mrs has more coats than a bleeding eskimo, and only yesterday commented that she wanted another even though at xmas she had a brand new expensive one.
    One rule for one,
    One for another.
    So balls, i'm off out to get that bashed old martin colletti jazzer i've been offered.
    New coat my arse!!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8783
    lloyd said:
    She does keep wondering what she's gonna do with "her amp" though!
    Lend to someone who can play. You for instance?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Unfortunately there's no space down the front of my trousers to for me sneak stuff past the wife.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188

When you've got kids and little money but you still want that new pedal you'll soon start telling the fibs and having stuff delivered to work. All that "I tell my wife everything cos I wuv her" BS will go right out the window :D

Sneaking stuff under the radar is great buzz too, its the thrill of the chase.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445

Unfortunately there's no space down the front of my trousers to for me sneak stuff past the wife.

Gotta go up to a 34 waist then mate!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471

When you've got kids and little money but you still want that new pedal you'll soon start telling the fibs and having stuff delivered to work. All that "I tell my wife everything cos I wuv her" BS will go right out the window :D

i have two kids...still dont hide it...but, the amount i've bought has obviously dwindled.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    Ive been a bit shady with the prices paid for a couple of guitars though never needed to be with pedals amps etc. My Mrs takes after her mother, Leaves some shopping in the boot of the car or lets her mother take it to hers and she repays the favour for her mother ha ha.
    Its her own money so i dont know why she feels she has to hide it, probably because whenever we go anywhere i foot the bill cos shes skint! ha ha. She dosent smoke(unless drinking), drinks little and is a great mum to our son so im happy.

Well... no.

I tell my wife coz I respect her, and I don't hide my purchases from her because I respect myself.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    genuine lol

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ;)
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I get stuff delivered to work as that's where I'll be when the deliveryperson wants to deliver....

FA point in asking for things to be delivered to a house when you're out...........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27304
    I think it stems partly from lots of couples having completely separate accounts. We keep separate bank accounts, but it all goes in a big joint budget so she can see exactly what I've spent anyway. I've never quite understood the logic of keeping everything completely separate when you're meant to be on the same team.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    I don't hide purchases from herself, we have both had untrustworthy partners in the past and have no intention of going there again. I did get some disapproval noises before my recent tractor purchase but since it's arrival most visitors are in awe and her grand children think it's the best thing ever so I think I eventually won her over, she even drove it herself after a couple of weeks. Last guitar purchase I took her along for the drive in the sunshine and gave her the fat cash envelope to hold for me.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    I NEVER mention the cost/value of any of my stuff to Mrs A. She asked how much a particular guitar cost many years ago and then went off on one about How much? waste of money etc. I told her then that I would never again say how much I spend on any GAS related item, and to her credit she never asks. Some people have no understanding of the cost of guitars, the physical value, the emotional value etc, and Mrs A is one of those people - no empathy for it at all. My oldest son is 18 and he knows the value of all my gear!

All I can say in my defence is that I never spend any of my regular earnings on GAS stuff, it has all come from the (now rare) occasions when I have to bust a gut earning a few extra quid in my own time, or when I sell gear that is no longer required. 
  • axisus said:
    I NEVER mention the cost/value of any of my stuff to Mrs A. She asked how much a particular guitar cost many years ago and then went off on one about How much? waste of money etc. I told her then that I would never again say how much I spend on any GAS related item, and to her credit she never asks. Some people have no understanding of the cost of guitars, the physical value, the emotional value etc, and Mrs A is one of those people - no empathy for it at all. My oldest son is 18 and he knows the value of all my gear!

All I can say in my defence is that I never spend any of my regular earnings on GAS stuff, it has all come from the (now rare) occasions when I have to bust a gut earning a few extra quid in my own time, or when I sell gear that is no longer required. 

So, if it's extra income you have worked for, why is she bothered by it?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom