Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I know it gets joked about a lot, but do you actually have to hide GAS purchases from the wife?

What's Hot

Comments

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440

VimFuego said:
    I resent that. I've never brought a dead hooker into the house.
    You've carried a fair few out of the house though

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    edited January 2015
    @VimFuego - No, that's what the basement is for!
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited January 2015
    Another thing Mrs RHC does is as she's a singer, I'll plug into an amp and certain pedals and then we'll work on something until we've got what for me is a rough demo or sketch with the intention of re-recording everything at a later point.  She however believes that the whole sound of that song in in that amp or pedals and gets really het up if I want to shift them and I have to demonstrate how I can still do it with other stuff.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    I've not actually hidden anything, but I may have been vague about the cost ...
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    You guys saying I've not hidden anything but was vague about the cost. You're lying to yourselves ;)
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Drew_fx said:
    You guys saying I've not hidden anything but was vague about the cost. You're lying to yourselves ;)
    It's called diplomacy :)
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15644
    no basement here, way too wet for that (and I have a feeling cob cottages were built without foundations, so don't think the house would appreciate being undermined). Mind you, with the tensions twixt Russia and NATO ramping up, I was thinking of building a fall out shelter into a bank. With some planning, it could always double up.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I think once they're dead Vim no longer keeps them in his basement.............

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12433
    I've got a loft full of fleshlights, I just can't stop.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm lucky though because not only does my wife not mind me getting stuff, but lap dancing can also pay pretty well too.  As long as I don't have to dance on the Sabbath she's cool about it all.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12433
    Seriously though, I did used to do GAS in secret when it was at it's height. Now though If I want something I just tell her and she being sensible sets up some kind of saving plan, trouble is by the time I have enough to buy something the washing machine blows up or part of the house falls down or summat. Bah! :(
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • My wife stopped full time work when we had kids (she now just works on Saturdays) so for us the vast majority of the family income is just my salary. 

That was always the plan and fully agreed to by both of us as we want to raise our kids ourselves and not rely on (and have to pay for) childcare.

So me splashing out on a shiny new pedal can sometimes be a bit contentious as it is money coming out of the family budget.

Very similar situation for me. My other half hasn't returned to work yet since giving birth (our daughter will be 3 next week), and my wages are pretty low, so we're managing but with nowt spare for GAS. However, before parenthood, when we were both working and there was enough for the odd purchase here and there, she actively encouraged me to buy things. She nurtures the musical side of me as much as she can...she wants me to be happy, and she wants me to be me. As it happens, like most things, it takes more of a backseat now we're parents and priorities have changed but i dont need an ES335 as much as I need to pay the rent.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15644
    lap dancing's great, but I find the journey to the artic circle tiresome.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

I've never understood this 'hide stuff' thing... I've never had to do that..

but then I don't often talk about what I buy either.. mostly cos she couldn't give a flying fk...

she totally fails to get all fired up about guitars, AU instruments, power amps, acoustic isolation stands etc..lmao..

and I return the favour by totally failing to get all fired up about face cream and clothes and stuff.. lmao

play every note as if it were your first
  • Seriously though, I did used to do GAS in secret when it was at it's height. Now though If I want something I just tell her and she being sensible sets up some kind of saving plan, trouble is by the time I have enough to buy something the washing machine blows up or part of the house falls down or summat. Bah! :(

Self control Jonny is your answer.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/MZCXMmTtJLg/maxresdefault.jpg

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
      As long as I don't have to dance on the Sabbath she's cool about it all.

But you're cool lapdancing to Slayer. Or Postman Pat. Yeah?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mike_l said:
      As long as I don't have to dance on the Sabbath she's cool about it all.

But you're cool lapdancing to Slayer. Or Postman Pat. Yeah?
    I've never lapdanced for Postman Pat.  I did once get paid to dance for Uncle Bulgaria but he got all hands on and was ejected from the club.
    Dude, those weren't Uncle Bulgaria's hands..........

• suspiciousmindssuspiciousminds Frets: 396
    edited January 2015
    Ha!
    There was a window of opportunity...
    Dropped the mrs off at her brothers, popped to the vendors house a few doors down, and now an old martin coletti is "safely" hidden on my guitar rack.
    Thats how you do it!
    New coat.....,ffs

On another note, if she does find out, i'm dead....
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1269
    Clarky said:

I've never understood this 'hide stuff' thing... I've never had to do that..

but then I don't often talk about what I buy either.. mostly cos she couldn't give a flying fk...

she totally fails to get all fired up about guitars, AU instruments, power amps, acoustic isolation stands etc..lmao..

and I return the favour by totally failing to get all fired up about face cream and clothes and stuff.. lmao

I hide stuff inasmuch as I find creative places to stash things where they aren't in the way and aren't conspicuous. This is because, as long as it comes out of my agreed "Toys and Recreation" budget the sole constraint Mrs JayGee places on me is that I don't buy anything I haven't got room for in my "office"  and that she can still get to the filing cabinet, the airing cupboard, and the output tray of the printer without tripping over (or having to move) anything...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...