Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why do political and contentious topics remain in OT, but light-hearted or crass banter is moved?

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
Seriously... it's a pattern I'm noticing. For example:

- Housewives of XYZ ... gets moved to SC
- #foxnewsfacts ! remains in OT

So this 'Interview' film about Kim Jong Un then ... moved to SC
- Oh - it turns out "we're" not so righteous either... remains in OT

I know the modmin team are not one conglomerate. I know everyone has different standards. But the gulf between those standards seems pretty large to me.

And why did my 'Are There Any Jews' thread first get moved, and then get stealth deleted without any acknowledgement or information as to why being provided? It was not a contentious thread at all. One person threw a hissy fit. The rest of us laughed in jest in unison.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    (oh btw.. in before the move/deletion, because you know it's going to happen... doesn't make the question any less relevant though!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Your Jew thread was explained in the "mod intervention" thread.

There's a trigger level of how many people flag something (so it was more than one person)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522

It might not be the subject per se, it may be an individual post that says something inflammatory that gets the whole thread moved.

Dunno really, but not too worried either way. Peace dudes

All practice and no theory
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    edited January 2015
    For full members, what is the difference?  Both sections are accessible

I thought SC was for issues to provocative for OT, although that doesn't explain housewives...  Maybe that was because it was lowering the tone of the forum? haha
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980
    my naughty rabbits thread "......" didn't even make it tae SC, apparently  it was "Mary Whitehoused"
    tae be or not tae be
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980
    ...or spontaneous combustion
    tae be or not tae be
  • Yep - our definition of "no stealth moderation" is that if a thread's moved (or edited), it's noted in the thread itself so that everybody who's already contibuted to it is notified if they're following it. If it's deleted, it goes in the "Mod intervention" thread. That's the only practical way to let everybody know - otherwise we'd end up PMing everybody who joined in the thread, and with the subsequent arguments etc that would just end up too much of an overhead.

As we've said many times...we respond to the needs of the community, and the only realistic (and flexible) way to do that at the moment is by looking at the flag rate.
    <space for hire>
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited January 2015
    Drew_fx said:
    :

- Housewives of XYZ ... gets moved to SC
    - #foxnewsfacts ! remains in OT

I'm guessing the image posted in the housewives thread falls foul of rule 7
    7) Don’t post anything that might get others in trouble if they’re browsing the site from work or a public computer. This is covered by rule (1).

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    edited January 2015 tFB Trader
    It's because we don't have time to read everything. 

There are also lots of music threads in OT and guitar threads. I occasionally move them to the relevant sections, but mostly I don't see them or don't have time.

If OT threads get flagged the first thing that usually happens is they get moved to SC. 

Also the deletion of the jew thread was notified in mod actions and was due to number of flags.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4590
    Jew thread was lame
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10317
    Moved to SC.

;)
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    DesVegas said:
    Jew thread was lame
    The fact it is being referred to thusly is indicative of why it was deleted :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited January 2015
    I'm guessing the image posted in the housewives thread falls foul of rule 7

7) Don’t post anything that might get others in trouble if they’re browsing the site from work or a public computer. This is covered by rule (1).

Not that this whole subject bother me in the slightest, but if that was the reason for it be moved then the forum is in danger of operating under some form of eugenics based cleansing.  Mike L's avatar has displayed women in equal amounts of undress but hasn't been moved whereas the beautiful lady in the other picture has.  It can only lead one to assume that because the lovely lady in the photo did not sit with what some may deem as conventionally beautiful then she was eliminated from public view.  No wonder there is a shortage of women around here when they are judged so harshly.   :-\"
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm guessing the image posted in the housewives thread falls foul of rule 7

Not that this whole subject bother me in the slightest, but if that was the reason for it be moved then the forum is in danger of operating under some form of eugenics based cleansing.  Mike L's avatar has displayed women in equal amounts of undress but hasn't been moved whereas the beautiful lady in the other picture has.  It can only lead one to assume that because the lovely lady in the photo did not sit with what some may deem as conventionally beautiful then she was eliminated from public view.  No wonder there is a shortage of women around here when they are judged so harshly.   :-\"
    A small avatar will not draw the same amount of attention as picture of a semi naked person (not matter how good/bad looking) half the size of your monitor (depending what size screen you are using).

• What is the flag limit? Also does it matter what colour the flags are?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited January 2015
    I was merely curious. No need for snideness peeps.

I did not see the mod intervention thread. Anyway, it was one example. I've noticed a trend. You can go back over the past two years and have a look if you like.
  • I'm guessing the image posted in the housewives thread falls foul of rule 7

A small avatar will not draw the same amount of attention as picture of a semi naked person (not matter how good/bad looking) half the size of your monitor (depending what size screen you are using).

Exactly - image size. However - and this is open to the floor - in situations like that, would you prefer that we temporarily relocated it to SC and said that if the image was removed, it'd go back to where it was?

I can't guarantee we'd have the time for it, but would the option be preferable to a permanent move?
    <space for hire>
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15592
    not bothered about when the image gets deleted, so long as I get time to save it to my hard drive

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I'm not worried about that, I can walk up the high street and get another piccy just like that at any time.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was actually just taking the piss.  I always blow Mike's avatar up big to check them out properly.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.