Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why do political and contentious topics remain in OT, but light-hearted or crass banter is moved?

What's Hot

Comments

• Probably the anti-crass banter and anti-light hearted banter people complain and flag posts.    I tell ya, if you knew who was flagging posts I bet you'd be very surprised sometimes.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited January 2015
    I'm guessing the image posted in the housewives thread falls foul of rule 7

7) Don’t post anything that might get others in trouble if they’re browsing the site from work or a public computer. This is covered by rule (1).

Not that this whole subject bother me in the slightest, but if that was the reason for it be moved then the forum is in danger of operating under some form of eugenics based cleansing.  Mike L's avatar has displayed women in equal amounts of undress but hasn't been moved whereas the beautiful lady in the other picture has.  It can only lead one to assume that because the lovely lady in the photo did not sit with what some may deem as conventionally beautiful then she was eliminated from public view.  No wonder there is a shortage of women around here when they are judged so harshly.   :-\"
    A small avatar will not draw the same amount of attention as picture of a semi naked person (not matter how good/bad looking) half the size of your monitor (depending what size screen you are using).

Exactly - image size. However - and this is open to the floor - in situations like that, would you prefer that we temporarily relocated it to SC and said that if the image was removed, it'd go back to where it was?

I think it would be easier to ask the question that if it falls fowls of Rule #7 -

"Don’t post anything that might get others in trouble if they’re browsing the site from work or a public computer. This is covered by rule (1)."

Then...

As this is a guitar forum, why the hell are people shocked or moaning when they open a thread in 'Off Topic' titled "Housewives of XYZ" at work in the first place without considering work may not be an appropriate place to view it?   OK I appreciate some people may be disposable enough employees to spend their work time on the internet, but even where you follow links at the bottom of most media pages called the like of "10 things you didn't know about beetroot", there are always ones where I think "Maybe not here just in case!".

I don't have a private computer, the computer I use is a family computer, although as my kids are young (and have a Hudl) it is mostly used by my wife or I.  Our computer has child filters so that image was as readily available as it would be to any work place computer where the employer deems that access to The Fretboard in work hours a fundamental employee need.

Just now I went onto EBay and this is the image that greeted me.  It's actually an advert for Tescos and is plastered over their website too -

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a579/imadray/1410163922334_wps_2_exclusive_Fifty_Shades_of_zps81b64a35.jpg

As we currently have builders in if I want to watch TV in bed I have to activate Sky GO.  This is what I was met with when I went to their website -

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a579/imadray/Kard_zps70b064ab.jpg

I'm not in the slightest bit prudish about either as that is the sexualised western world we live.  Here are three well known companies who do not see a major concern in showing images which like the one in question feature no nudity.  If fact (and I feel sorry for the Margate housewife) these two are for more sexualised and potentially arousing, which is obviously the point the advertisers sought to make.

If you are really concerned that a man or a woman in a bra randomly popping up on you screen will convince your boss that you are in fact some unemployable, twisted pervert then regardless of this forum there is only one fool proof answer and it's actually really, really simple - avoid the internet when he/she is stood on your shoulder.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I love hot bitches.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

There's a trigger level of how many people flag something (so it was more than one person)
    Am I going to have to put trigger warnings in my thread titles?

LOL!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_fx said:
    I love hot bitches.

I prefer lukewarm skanks.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Your Jew thread was explained in the "mod intervention" thread.

There's a trigger level of how many people flag something (so it was more than one person)
    Yeah, although I didn't complain, I thought that it was a bit edgy as if there was an ulterior point somewhere trying to be made. I couldn't put a finger on it but it seemed strange to single out a particular religious group and ask about their 'Jewwy' (I think that was the expression) ways.

It made me feel uncomfortable.   
  • Drew_fx said:
    I love hot bitches.

Hmmmm.... hot bitches or lukewarm skanks?.... hot bitches or lukewarm skanks?  Not sure which I like best.  There's only one way to find out...

No... not that... I'm happily married.

FIGHT

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Wolfetone said:

Yeah, although I didn't complain, I thought that it was a bit edgy as if there was an ulterior point somewhere trying to be made. I couldn't put a finger on it but it seemed strange to single out a particular religious group and ask about their 'Jewwy' (I think that was the expression) ways.

Okay. I'll level with you. I'm an anti-semite misogynist racist white nationalist. I was looking for my bredren.
  • Drew_fx said:
    Okay. I'll level with you. I'm an anti-semite misogynist racist white nationalist. I was looking for my bredren.

Worse still... you appear to have a downer on commas, too!  :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Kardashians aren't that sexy IMO. Kim's arse is like a comedy Kenny Everett arse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited January 2015
    Drew_fx said:

Am I going to have to put trigger warnings in my thread titles?

LOL!!!

http://cdn.the-generous-husband.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/034-02-2012.gif
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bingefeller nailed it.

All hype. If the media keep telling the masses that some starlet is drop-dead-gorgeous... the masses must obey!

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2892
    Drew_fx said:
    Wolfetone said:

Guess u vote ukip then :)
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15592
    The Kardashians aren't that sexy IMO. Kim's arse is like a comedy Kenny Everett arse.
    true, though they were better looking than the ferengi.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980
    Drew_fx said:
    I love hot bitches.

it's beetroot I'm into
    tae be or not tae be
  • Hootsmon.... I never noticed you... sneaking up on us all - with your cutesy new avatar!
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980
    :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Drew_fx said:
    Wolfetone said:

I had just posted in that thread before it was deleted, that it made me uncomfortable and I wasnt sure why.  I'm genuinely curious if I was missing some satire or in-joke or if you were actually curious about the jewish culture?
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited January 2015

John_P said:
    I had just posted in that thread before it was deleted, that it made me uncomfortable and I wasnt sure why.  I'm genuinely curious if I was missing some satire or in-joke or if you were actually curious about the jewish culture?

I suspect you were far from alone in that particular case and I did spend a few minutes thinking is this a wind-up or is this a genuine bit of curiosity?  Knowing both that Drew isn't in any sense anti-Semitic and the way in which he communicates it still could have been either.

What I found myself asking most though is whether the thread being about Jews particularly was the real issue of discomfort.   I think understandably due to awful historical connotations we probably are a little more squeamish about potentially negative Jewish comments than say a thread called 'Any Anglicans Here?" or "Any Catholics Here?".  Every other religious denomination I can think of has actually come under anything ranging from curious scrutiny through to outright criticism on these boards at some point as they do in real world discussions.   In fact Judaism has naturally been the subject of a lot of circumcision based discussions in 'Off Topic'.  From a personal perspective I think I realised that the larger part of the problem was not that I thought Drew had offended the Jewish population in any way shape or form, but the pressure such subjects put on our own paranoia about treading carefully to avoid falling causing offence ourselves.  In that way it's similar to why a lot of more serious subjects aren't discussed openly in society as we fear contributing, being wrongly interpreted and labelled as racist, xenophobic, nationalist etc.

I suspect some issue revolved around the use of the term 'Jewwy' in case is was deemed offensive (in a piss taking manor), but I would not be surprised at all if a number of the flags that contributed to the thread's deletion came from people not realising that @ICBM was quoting lyrics from Pink Floyd's In The Flesh

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72516

I would not be surprised at all if a number of the flags that contributed to the thread deletion came people not realising that @ICBM was quoting lyrics from Pink Floyd's In The Flesh

It wouldn't surprise me if some people don't realise those lyrics are satirical and not Roger Waters' actual opinion, either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom