Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why do political and contentious topics remain in OT, but light-hearted or crass banter is moved?

What's Hot

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    We are frightened of our own shadows, these days.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Maybe we should ask whether the Jewish person in the thread was offended. (Scrum half?)
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    This is why the Shade King is recalling all the shadows back home to the sea of shade!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Why is "Jews" offensive anyway? It's how it's said in the bible.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    This is why the Shade King is recalling all the shadows back home to the sea of shade!

Not by any chance related to @Sambostar, are you?

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    John_P said:
    Drew_fx said:
    Wolfetone said:
    Your Jew thread was explained in the "mod intervention" thread.

There's a trigger level of how many people flag something (so it was more than one person)
    Yeah, although I didn't complain, I thought that it was a bit edgy as if there was an ulterior point somewhere trying to be made. I couldn't put a finger on it but it seemed strange to single out a particular religious group and ask about their 'Jewwy' (I think that was the expression) ways.

It made me feel uncomfortable.   
    Okay. I'll level with you. I'm an anti-semite misogynist racist white nationalist. I was looking for my bredren.
    I had just posted in that thread before it was deleted, that it made me uncomfortable and I wasnt sure why.  I'm genuinely curious if I was missing some satire or in-joke or if you were actually curious about the jewish culture?
    I have no beef (or pork) with Jews. I started that thread because I knew precisely that the usage of even the word Jew, or the word Jewwy, would get people flagging.

I was merely illustrating a point about the clientele around here. People who as far as I can tell, offer nothing to the community other condemnation of it's members, and complaints about Hendrix... or whatever other pathetic team-sport they're playing at these days.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    I flagged it and I also commented that I didn't like it.

Amazingly, this being a reasonably decent forum, I'm allowed to do both and I don't think it makes me a twat (although many other things might and many of you could well think I am - with varying degrees of justification).

It made me hugely uncomfortable that it was in Off Topic and easily viewed by anyone checking out the forum.

Like others, I wasn't sure what the point of the thread was but, if it was "merely illustrating a point" or that you knew it "would get people flagging" then well done. You won.  Have a cake. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    Basically... You're all a bit uptight.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Good, now that is sorted, let's go and kill us some gingers.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    I like gingers. And scots.
    Possibly, but there are definitely "trigger" words that probably contribute to that and I think you may have hit on one - just like you thought it would.

I rarely flag any posts - that one got under my skin and must have done the same with a fair number of others if it hit the flag limit (whatever that is).

Also, I wouldn't consider myself as offering "nothing to the community other than condemnation of its members". 

Not sure where that came from @Drew_fx, or who it's aimed at. If it's me then I'd love to know what I've done. If not, it seems a little self obsessed to me.

But, hey - call me a cunt and we can move on.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Chuffola;476905" said:
    Possibly, but there are definitely "trigger" words that probably contribute to that and I think you may have hit on one - just like you thought it would.

I rarely flag any posts - that one got under my skin and must have done the same with a fair number of others if it hit the flag limit (whatever that is).

Also, I wouldn't consider myself as offering "nothing to the community other than condemnation of its members". 

Not sure where that came from @Drew_fx, or who it's aimed at. If it's me then I'd love to know what I've done. If not, it seems a little self obsessed to me.

But, hey - call me a cunt and we can move on.

Here's a clue... I posted that before you made it publicly known that you flagged it. Persecution complex much?
  • Chuffola said:
    I flagged it and I also commented that I didn't like it.

Hope that attempting to censor people makes you feel like a big man.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2015
    Not at all. Just that in one of your original posts in this thread you claimed that someone "threw a hissy fit" - since I think I was the only person on the thread that did anything close to that, I assumed you were referring to me.

Anyway, keep turning the spotlight away from yourself. Keep it on me, or anyone else. It something you seem to be very good at. 

/waits for next sparklingly witty comeback

Edit: This post refers to Drew's not PolarityMan. But, I am a big man. 6' 4".  But there's a flag button for a reason. Or are we not allowed to use that now in case it infringes some basic right we have?  Maybe the mods should remove it?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980
    Drew_fx said:
    I like gingers. And scots.
    *sigh*
    tae be or not tae be
  • Drew_fx said:
    I like ginger nuts. And scotch.
    Corrected for you.
    ;)
    edited January 2015
    Chuffola said:
    Not at all. Just that in one of your original posts in this thread you claimed that someone "threw a hissy fit" - since I think I was the only person on the thread that did anything close to that, I assumed you were referring to me.

Anyway, keep turning the spotlight away from yourself. Keep it on me, or anyone else. It something you seem to be very good at. 

/waits for next sparklingly witty comeback

Edit: This post refers to Drew's not PolarityMan. But, I am a big man. 6' 4".  But there's a flag button for a reason. Or are we not allowed to use that now in case it infringes some basic right we have?  Maybe the mods should remove it?
    So hang on a sec...

I have not abused anyone in this thread. I did not abuse anyone in the thread you're talking about either. Yet... I'm the bad guy?? :-?

You're the one casting targeted personal aspersions here, not me. Keep some perspective. You're a big man, but you're taking offense to me saying someone threw a hissy fit? FWIW, I didn't even recall the persons name, which is why I said "someone" rather than @Chuffola.

I posed some very general questions. You're the one making it all about you. Not me. Beggars belief mate.
    Drew_fx said:
    I like ginger nuts. And scotch.
    Corrected for you.
    ;)
    Ginger nuts are one of my favourite biscuits as it happens.
  • Drew_fx said:
    I have no beef (or pork) with Jews. I started that thread because I knew precisely that the usage of even the word Jew, or the word Jewwy, would get people flagging.

I was merely illustrating a point about the clientele around here. People who as far as I can tell, offer nothing to the community other condemnation of it's members, and complaints about Hendrix... or whatever other pathetic team-sport they're playing at these days.
    @Drew_fx Perhaps I can draw your attention to the definition of "Internet Troll" on Wikipedia:

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

If, as you say, you "started that thread because I knew precisely that the usage of even the word Jew, or the word Jewwy, would get people flagging" then personally I believe you match the textbook definition and you have contravened the forum's rule #1 which, I'm sure you don't need reminding (although I'll do it anywaybecause you seem to have forgotten) is "don't be a dick". If you deliberately went out of your way to provoke then congratulations, achievement unlocked.

You have interesting ideas on music, amps, effects, production etc but you do seem intent on provoking or winding other people up deliberately.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2015
    vasselmeyer;476932" said:
    Drew_fx said:I have no beef (or pork) with Jews. I started that thread because I knew precisely that the usage of even the word Jew, or the word Jewwy, would get people flagging.

@Drew_fx Perhaps I can draw your attention to the definition of "Internet Troll" on Wikipedia:

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

If, as you say, you "started that thread because I knew precisely that the usage of even the word Jew, or the word Jewwy, would get people flagging" then personally I believe you match the textbook definition and you have contravened the forum's rule #1 which, I'm sure you don't need reminding (although I'll do it anywaybecause you seem to have forgotten) is "don't be a dick". If you deliberately went out of your way to provoke then congratulations, achievement unlocked.

You have interesting ideas on music, amps, effects, production etc but you do seem intent on provoking or winding other people up deliberately.
    Not to belabour the point, but the rule is don't be a dick. Not don't be a troll. I don't really agree with your assessment either.

Again with the personal insults... I don't understand why you guys resort to such aggression. It really does boggle the mind.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom