Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Facebook Stalking....

What's Hot
bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
edited January 2015 in Off Topic
I don't have FB so I don't know if this is normal but a girl I work with goes on FB profiles of people she doesn't like so she can see what they're up to and who they're friends with.  I asked her why she did this if she didn't like them and she said that "everyone uses Facebook for this".  Is this true?  

Also, a guy I know fancied this girl in a local Starbucks.  He managed to track her down through a Starbucks page via Facebook and actually messaged her on Facebook....  He said she didn't reply, and I'm not surprised.  Again he was able to justify this and said that lots of people do it - i.e stalk people by finding out their first name on their work badge and go from there until they track them on Facebook.

It seems a bit excessive to me so I thought I'd come here to ask if indeed this is a usual occurrence but I find it hard to believe and am quite glad I'm not on FB anymore if this is what people do.  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited January 2015

Creepy, weird and dangerous.

I wish all the people who used Facebook in this way were brainwashed by come sort of foreign hack and jumped off a cliff, they'd only be a few hundred of us left.  It's condoning mental disorders as normality.  Eyeryone is mental.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Facebook is for people you know. I have 1 rule for FB, if I know you, and would let you in my home, then I'd let you on the list, if not then no chance.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I don't know where people find the time to be honest. 
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I got rid of my Facebook a long time ago, it's so easy to track people down, and our human nature drives us to find out more info etc on people, it's Natural, if you fancy someone you want to know more about them etc the prob is spazbook makes it so easy, and the amount of info people put on there is the truly dangerous thing. I'm glad I have no part of it
  • I don't use FB anymore, but when I did I found the various privacy controls worked well enough. Certainly all my info and posts were locked down and only the people I wanted to could see them. It's not difficult. But so many people don't bother. I'm amazed at the private stuff people share on FB without even bothering to mark it for friends only.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Used to be in it but no longer, quit ages ago
  • Used to be in it but no longer, quit ages ago
    Same here.  Too many nutters on it.  Never heard of people going to great lengths to stalk others through it though.   
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    I don't have Facebook so I like to keep it old school....

Up a tree with a pair of binoculars!

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've seen it loads of times.
    I also rarely watch TV.
    I get so much done by not doing those things
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I only use Facebook to plot terror attacks.... doesn't everyone?  When they start this monitoring malarkey we're fucked.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10311
    I stopped using it a year ago.Even though I don't know anyone personally i'd much rather spend my browsing time on this forum.

And you still get cat pictures :D
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • The thing I hate most about Facebook is how easy it has made stalking.  You used to have to put hard work into finding out how and where to 'accidentally' bump into a woman and then actually listen to try and figure out what she liked.  Now you can just message them "Hey, I luv Avenged Sevenfold 2.  U heard this?....." and you already 'in'.  No wonder youngsters today are lazy. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    d8m;476822" said:
    I don't have Facebook so I like to keep it old school....

Up a tree with a pair of binoculars!
    Good lad. Gotta keep them Old Ways real.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15590

here's the thing, facebook stalking in no way stops you doing proper stalking. Stop blaming the technology when it's clearly a failure of will power.

Personally I'm all in favour of it, if I'm too busy for a full on stalk, I can grab a quick 5 min perve during my coffee break.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • With the chosen angle of 99% of Facebook selfies it's got to the point where I can only recognise people in real life if I'm looking at them from a first floor window.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    and if they're looking left

• With the chosen angle of 99% of Facebook selfies it's got to the point where I can only recognise people in real life if I'm looking at them from a first floor window.

A pair of 1970s platform boots might help.

Would save you having run up a flight of stairs every time you see someone you think you might know.

:)
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited January 2015
    My security settings are ramped well up on FB being ex-army, not everyone is a fan of their work . 

You have to be a friend of a friend to find me, and even then I'm quite fussy about who I accept. @Frankus and @Drew_FX were very lucky
  • until I found them. :P
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited January 2015