Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Facebook Stalking....

What's Hot

Comments

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    When I first started seeing my ex, I had my privacy settings so that nobody could see my stuff unless they were friends. But then all her family were able to see everything I had ever posted somehow. So I'm very careful these days.

I do do a bit of facebook stalking, as in "she looks fit, I wonder if she has more pictures". 
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I stalk the guys I've hooked up with on here. People like Jez, Philip, and Mark.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited January 2015

Thing is, I'm a firm believer in people can say what they like about others amongst themselves, so long as it isn't malicious or slanderous and as long as they are straight to your face, that is life.  You have close friends and more distant ones.  People talk and have a laugh.  But this Facebook thing.  For the temporarily mentally impaired, it's like giving a bottle of whiskey to an alcoholic. 

Hanging off every word, or post.  It's not good.  In fact it's damaging and the problem is that people with mental issues luuuuuuv Facebook.  My mate is badly bipolar, it does him no good at all. I just ignore Facebook, I have no account, never have.  Similarly I don't watch the news or read the papers. nor judge my life by anyone else's benchmarks or my own popularity.  He can't and remembers every little detail of who bitched about who and who said what like a fish wife, he is worse than Mumsnet.  I can't even begin to remember the stuff he remembers.  He is sociable and needs people, I like being on my own. So of course, every now and then he has a breakdown because his brain has overloaded on information. 

What is the point.  Just leave it alone.  It's a negative addiction.  And if you are stalking give people some space man.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11892
    Potential Employers do it too.
    The press does it too.

Don't post anything that you can't say it to you mum then you should have nothing to worry about. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I like you Sambo.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9670
    I bumped into an ex-girlfriend just before Christmas, hadn't seen her for almost twenty years. Had a brief chat, as you do. After I got home I realised I must have come across as a little disinterested compared to her, not asking many questions etc. I hesitate to use the word stalking, but I'm good at finding bits of information on the internet (not facebook in this case) and piecing them together to get the whole story. I knew she was back in town, since when, what her new job was...

Another thing - I had a letter delivered to my house by mistake, to a woman with a very distinctive surname. I googled the name along with the city and found her facebook profile immediately. I sent her a message to tell her that I had her mail but I didn't get a reply because messages sent to people who aren't your friends get through but they're very well hidden - most people wouldn't know where to look and you don't get a notification. I can't remember what it was, but something on her profile suggested she lived very close to me (maybe a postcode or something). Either the house number was right and the street name wrong or vice-versa... So I took a chance and knocked on a door - right first time!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    Standard issue. move along...

If it's on the internet then it's in the public domain. Change your privacy settings or don't post it - or don't use facebook. 

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    I didn't see my neighbours for a few weeks so I looked them up on facebook (knew their full name due to a letter that went to the wrong house and we're on pretty good terms with them) and found posts of them on holiday travelling round Asia. It wasn't meant in a stalking way but it was quite cool to find out. 

We pulled up a carpet in our house and found a girls name engraved into the floor and the box for some prescribed birth control pills hidden under a floorboard, I confess that I did look he up on Facebook to see who she was but didn't feel the need to send a message to ask if she wanted her belongings back!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • BigMonka said:
    We pulled up a carpet in our house and found a girls name engraved into the floor and the box for some prescribed birth control pills hidden under a floorboard, I confess that I did look he up on Facebook to see who she was but didn't feel the need to send a message to ask if she wanted her belongings back!
    Did she have any kids?
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Like many things you can choose to use FB positively or negatively. It helps me keep in touch with friends and family across the world.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7914
    I got rid of it six years ago.  Never looked back.  Utter waste of time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I find it handy for keeping in touch with people in other parts of the world and uk.  It's a good tool for advertising gigs.

Don't post things that you wouldn't say out loud in crowded room, check your privacy settings every so often and log out and see what it looks like from google and I don't see a problem.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I signed up and then deleted my profile so I can feel superior to others.
    My V key is broken
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited January 2015
    Is it just me that uses it and doesn't really have any trouble with it (knock on wood... obviously it'll all go to shit now :D)

Actually I tell a lie, there was that wonderful time in year 11 when a couple of little shits in my year decided it'd be hilarious to make a fake profile under my name, causing significant distress to my volatile and emotionally fragile sixteen year-old self... got to the bottom of it and they got suspended though, so that's fine :D So did another couple of bullies in my year showering me with verbal abuse and threats the likes of which I have never seen before or since. Screenshotted the entire exchange (in which I remained fairly calm) and emailed it to the school, they weren't laughing so hard after that. Probably a shit thing to do, but hey. Year 11 wasn't great...

Honestly though, I don't mind Facebook apart from that - no trouble for ages, it's a good way of killing time and it can be a laugh.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_P said:
    log out and see what it looks like from google
    Using that as a metric I practically don't exist! 1 post, from 3 years ago shows up.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5015
    edited January 2015
    I like FB. I keep in touch with distant friends and relatives on it. And spam my tunes at them.

Play a few war type battle games on there also, so I get to peruse the thoughts of a wide spectrum of folks worldwide. That can be quite eye-opening ;)

I did meet the littlegreenwoman* via Facebook nearly 6 years ago now, and we "got together" about 4 years ago so I can't say it's been a bad thing in my life personally.

Obviously YMMV.

*she's not green, but is little, and a woman! :P
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • Potential Employers do it too.
    The press does it too.

Don't post anything that you can't say it to you mum then you should have nothing to worry about. 
    Yep, I've seen employers look at social media when hiring...!!
  • I don't use fb much, I find it depressing - you see a snapshot of people's lives, but it's only the best bits, like they're trying to sell themselves. I always found it odd.

I'd find it very strange if I saw a stranger on my fb page. I'd find it a little odd if a friend was, there isn't a lot to see!
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188

These days I just look at it to see what my bat shit crazy conspiracy nut job mate is on about.

This week has been about the Paris shootings being a hoax, and ebola. Did you know ebola was created by the CIA to eliminate an alien race that has got out of control here on earth?

I very rarely post anymore

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details